3rd Watch

Do you think "3rd Watch" is a good reflection on our jobs?

• 1. Total Fiction.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3. It is alright, a bit of fake shines through.

• 4. It is as if they have the camera on my helmet. Really in touch.

• Total voters

Rangat

Forum Lieutenant
Hey, i would really like to know whether 3rd Watch is a way i can see how ems in america works, since it's totally different in South Africa.

Speed

Forum Ride Along
Turd Watch was cancelled in the USA. It began to be less than reality after so many years.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Speed@Aug 15 2005, 12:34 PM
It began to be less than reality after so many years.
Ditto

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
at the beginging,... it seemed VERY in touch...

Lots of the attitudes are correct.. Like "Carlos" often seeming to not care enough, and "Doc"caring too much.... Although I've been watching Old ER empisodes recently... and keep on thinking Doc is HIV positive.... :rolleyes:

Actually a good question... did that come up at all when they did the "ER/ Third Watch" crossover episode - after Stringfield returned to ER????

The medic getting shot (early on)... it happens... 9/11 - it happened...

Then the show started to REALLY focous on the cops, the Mafia wars, the drug wars, and the 55's street crime unit..... then I really got turned off to it, and didn't have the time to watch it... and when I did, what was the point.. it was stupid, because it was turning into an action soap opera... have to watch the whole season to understand what happened.

Memorable scene that ALSO happens.... when the REALLY OLD, P.O.S. FDNY box catches fire, because it was left running, to keep cool while the crew was with a patient.. in a heat wave.... yep.. that happens occasionally here too... :rolleyes: :lol: :D :angry: :rolleyes:

ALSO.... does anyone remember the episode they were playing VERY early in the 2001-02 season?? the "Blackout" episode... that was to air 9/17/01 or something??? kind of freaky.. the "big disaster" episode scheduled to air JUST AFTER 9/11.... then they cancelled it and released it in mid-season.... they had to edit a lot.... little hard when the shots of NYC going dark have parts that don't exist anymore..... Also... a precursor to the blackout that happened in '03 (i think)

BUT I'm looking foward to the first few seasons on DVD, hopefully soon...

Jon

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Have to agree...was good at first, but went downhill in the later seasons.

As far as being representative of U.S. EMS, that's hard to say. EMS varies a lot in different areas. In NY, for example, even though the EMTs and Medics are now part of FDNY (they used to be a seperate EMS agency), they're essentially two seperate services and the EMS guys are not firefighters. Out here in the LA area, FD Medics are also firefighters and do serve in firefighting roles to some extent (and all FFs are EMTs). In other parts of the country, the FD doesn't provide EMS at all (except first response) and seperate city/county agencies or private companies provide the EMS service.

As far as the type of calls, though, that's pretty realistic. Obviously, NY runs a greater volume of calls and gets more crime-related stuff than say my little town, but even we've run on gunshot wounds and ODs.

rescuejew

Forum Lieutenant
I heard Third Watch got cancelled because the ratings sucked because they did exactly what was mentioned earlier and got off the medicine to tell a story. I started to get turned off when Sullys Russian wife ended up being a prostitue for the Russian Mafia...who comes up with this crap????!!!

In NC, most EMS agencies are County-driven and have First Responders with BLS or ALS credentials within the FD. But even here, in different counties, all the systems and the protocols are WAY different. I mean, some counties just do ALS and others do convalescent and inter-hospital transports. Some counties protocols are algorithms and some just basically say "do whatever the heck you want..."

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Originally posted by Rangat@Aug 15 2005, 12:22 PM
Hey, i would really like to know whether 3rd Watch is a way i can see how ems in america works, since it's totally different in South Africa.
Great thread. Is there any chance you can give us a brief introduction thread in the Lounge so I can proceed to ask 100 questions about EMS in South Africa? :)

And because I didn't say it already... Welcome! I hope you stick around and post!

OP
OP
Rangat

Rangat

Forum Lieutenant
:D Done.

Lounge: ::EMS-> South Africa::

NJOY

RALS504

Forum Lieutenant
When I was going through my EMT-B school I saw one of the third watch episodes and a medic took a radial pulse, he said "120/80". Nice, I guess they can do arterial pressures manually. I am still waiting for that skill.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by RALS504@Aug 27 2005, 04:04 AM
When I was going through my EMT-B school I saw one of the third watch episodes and a medic took a radial pulse, he said "120/80". Nice, I guess they can do arterial pressures manually. I am still waiting for that skill.
What... you can't get a signs by looking at a patient??? You've never worked transport, have you??? :p