25 year old, struck by 18 wheeler, Critical condition

EMT Fan15

Forum Crew Member
Hey, I was wondering, if you guys would be able to send prayers towards my friend Pat's way.
Yesterday, he was struck by an 18 wheeler, while he was biking. The injuries are as follows: Punctured Lung, Contusion on the back of his head, Bleeding from his head abit. He took 2 CTSCANS yesterday, and he's in a Coma.
The nurse said he has a 50/50 Chance of surviving. So far, it's going down. He's in a Coma, of which he's been drifting out of for a second, then going back in.
He's in the Critical Care unit. He's on a Ventilator.
My friend and I, were wondering, if he did get hit by an 18 wheeler, how could he have ended up with these injuries?
Please send Support to him & his family, thank you.
It's very fortunate he is alive. And I want to keep him alive.

foxfire

Forum Asst. Chief
Sorry to hear that.
My thoughts and prayers for him.

Code7

Forum Probie
My thoughts are with him, his family and you.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Tough times are here now.
They will be around for a while.
And then, they will pass.

Blessings to everyone; PM for help.

Theo

Forum Crew Member
My friend and I, were wondering, if he did get hit by an 18 wheeler, how could he have ended up with these injuries?

I am very sorry to hear about your friend. Stay strong for him and his family and best wishes.

As for your question, there are so many variables that can go into the equation.

How fast was the truck going?
Where did it hit your friend? Was he clipped or did he get full impact?
Where did your friend land? Pavement, grass, etc.
Did he hit anything else during his fall? Stop sign, rock, tree, etc?
Was your friend wearing a helmet?
The list could go on and on.

The punctured lung may have come from broken ribs during his fall. Contusion to the head likely means that he didn't have a helmet and it is a result of his head hitting the ground. Which also explains the coma.

Without knowing all of the circumstances involved, the injuries you mention seem consistent with him being clipped by the truck and thrown from his bike with most of the damage coming from his impact with the ground.

Keep us updated on how he is doing. We're pulling for him.

Last edited by a moderator:

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
My Prayers are with him!!
i hope he pulls though and has a Speedy recovery!

emtstudent04

Forum Lieutenant
Oh man im very sorry to hear that. My thoughts and prayers are with you and his family. Try to keep positive my friend.

OP
OP
E

EMT Fan15

Forum Crew Member
Thank you everyone, for all the support.

I am very sorry to hear about your friend. Stay strong for him and his family and best wishes.

As for your question, there are so many variables that can go into the equation.

How fast was the truck going?
Where did it hit your friend? Was he clipped or did he get full impact?
Where did your friend land? Pavement, grass, etc.
Did he hit anything else during his fall? Stop sign, rock, tree, etc?
Was your friend wearing a helmet?
The list could go on and on.

The punctured lung may have come from broken ribs during his fall. Contusion to the head likely means that he didn't have a helmet and it is a result of his head hitting the ground. Which also explains the coma.

Without knowing all of the circumstances involved, the injuries you mention seem consistent with him being clipped by the truck and thrown from his bike with most of the damage coming from his impact with the ground.

Keep us updated on how he is doing. We're pulling for him.
The thing is, nobody knows. He was found on the side of the road, unconscious, with his bike, it was weird. I heard all this from my friend, who heard it from his sister, so I don't know anything furthermore about this.
I will try keeping you guys up-dated, though it's kind of hard, considering that the friend that told me about his accident, lashed out on me immediately after I found out, later that night, which shouldn't happen, considering she was who told me in the first place, so she should expect me to come up to her, asking how he's doing. I wasn't really that close to him, he treated everyone like ares, but overall he was a good guy, and that's the end of that. When it came down to it, he was a good person aboveall. My brother had known him from when he was in school, my brother graduated two years before Pat did, however, my brother did know him, and my other friend Nikki, said he had this huge crush on her. So, I'll try keeping an update, if she cooperates, and if not, time to talk to the boyfriend.
Be safe all, and take care.~