2 questions on lifting

danderson900

Forum Ride Along
I have 2 questions related to lifting:
1. How much do you typically need to be able to lift in order to be hired?
2. How frequently in your day-to-day operations are you NOT able to use proper lifting techniques (lifting w/ legs/arms as opposed to back) due to pt location, etc.?

ki4mus

Forum Crew Member
1-DOT has a minimum lifting requirment that is listed as a requirement to test out, though sadly it is not inforced. but if you and your partner can not lift a 300lb pt on a streatcher with your gear on the head of the cot then you can not preform your job.
2-every single day.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
1. Depends on your service. Two places I work didn't test. The third requires a 100lbs, and they only "tested" by having prospective members move a lot of gear around. I don't think any of it was actually that heavy.

2. Very often. It doesn't help that the other people on my usual crew can't lift for health reasons, and people in my area like to get hurt in places that are totally inaccessible for cots--as in, way into the woods. We wind up calling for support pretty often.

Last edited by a moderator:

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
1-DOT has a minimum lifting requirment that is listed as a requirement to test out, though sadly it is not inforced. but if you and your partner can not lift a 300lb pt on a streatcher with your gear on the head of the cot then you can not preform your job.

Disagree entirely. This attitude perpetuates the high injury rates and short careers in EMS. Here a pt. over 250 lbs meets policy for a lift assist. I may still lift if I trust my partner and it's only up to loading height and in, but the option is still there.

Also, why keep you gear on the stretcher when lifting. That's unnecessary weight. Bags go on the ground until I have the stretcher to the height I want if the patient is heavy.

My service is currently transitioning to "no lift." (As part of the 10 year service plan) All stair chairs are being replaced with tracked. Providers are encouraged to make use of lift assist or when necessary the bariatric unit. The service is trialling electric cots, tail lifts and this week a device from ferno for loading. (Can't recall the name.)

Yes lifting is still incredibly important and part of the job, but let's try to scale back the maucho crap and push for the changes that will save backs.

ki4mus

Forum Crew Member
Disagree entirely. This attitude perpetuates the high injury rates and short careers in EMS. Here a pt. over 250 lbs meets policy for a lift assist. I may still lift if I trust my partner and it's only up to loading height and in, but the option is still there.

Also, why keep you gear on the stretcher when lifting. That's unnecessary weight. Bags go on the ground until I have the stretcher to the height I want if the patient is heavy.

My service is currently transitioning to "no lift." (As part of the 10 year service plan) All stair chairs are being replaced with tracked. Providers are encouraged to make use of lift assist or when necessary the bariatric unit. The service is trialling electric cots, tail lifts and this week a device from ferno for loading. (Can't recall the name.)

Yes lifting is still incredibly important and part of the job, but let's try to scale back the maucho crap and push for the changes that will save backs.

no, it advocates physical fittness. I do not run with people that "can't lift for medical reasons" as far as I'm concered they should be on light duty behind a desk (at the private service i work for) or not allowed on duty (public 911). Lifting and moving Pt's is part of the job...if you can't stay physically fit then you shouldn't be in a healthcare profession.

At the Private service Bariatric and lift assist doesn't kick in till 300lbs, and a thrid truck is suposed to go at 500, even though this rarely happens. As far as 911 goes I call for assistance after 300....maybe more depending on my partner.

I leave the gear on as a matter of cutting out the hassle....it's one less thing to worry about. after I preform my assessment I toss my stuff on the head of the cot, secure my Pt and lift and move all of it at once.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
no, it advocates physical fittness. I do not run with people that "can't lift for medical reasons" as far as I'm concered they should be on light duty behind a desk (at the private service i work for) or not allowed on duty (public 911).

With your attitude, YOU will be one of the ones who can't lift for medical reasons eventually. No matter how fit you are, you will eventually run into a situation where your unable to use proper lifting mechanics, and if you push it, you will get hurt. Also you advocate physical fitness and taking care of yourself, but leave 30-50 extra pounds on the stretcher because it's convinent. Take it from someone who had a similar attitude at one time, be smart, back injuries are no fun.

ki4mus

Forum Crew Member
With your attitude, YOU will be one of the ones who can't lift for medical reasons eventually. No matter how fit you are, you will eventually run into a situation where your unable to use proper lifting mechanics, and if you push it, you will get hurt. Also you advocate physical fitness and taking care of yourself, but leave 30-50 extra pounds on the stretcher because it's convinent. Take it from someone who had a similar attitude at one time, be smart, back injuries are no fun.

I don't lift anything I can't handle with me and my partner. 300lbs between two of us is nothing as we normally dead lift 200 each in the weight room. And while I am a little man at my private transport company I am a supervisor at my EMS agency and don't permit people on the truck that can not preform their job

and where are you getting 50lbs???? I only take the clipboard and th first-in bag......this MIGHT equal 10lbs.... any heavier gear is carried straped onto my back.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
First in bag with O2 bottle, airway equipment drugs, manual suction/ect and a LP12 equiped with nearly everything. 50 is probably pushing it but you'll find this stuff easily weighs 30 pounds.

It's great to deadlift in the gym, but it's not the same. The one that will get you is not "there's no way we can lift this guy" it's the "yeah we can probably handle it" because your in a hurry and don't want to wait.

Also, I'd be careful denying someone's ability to work unless they fail to pass an objective measure.

surname_levi

Forum Crew Member
when i did my PET for AMR it was about 110 lbs.

today, my orientation at a new private company. we lifted our heaviest co-worker. he said he was 280. now this could be more realistic, alot pts are well over even 150 many times

JonTullos

Forum Captain
I have 2 questions related to lifting:
1. How much do you typically need to be able to lift in order to be hired?
2. How frequently in your day-to-day operations are you NOT able to use proper lifting techniques (lifting w/ legs/arms as opposed to back) due to pt location, etc.?

1. This has been addressed by others so I'll leave it be.
2. Sometimes doing it "properly" can be a chore but it's one I strive to do everyday for the sake of my back, my partner and my patient. Safety is the most important aspect in lifting. If you can't do it in a safe way and you get yourself or your partner injured then you've got some serious issues that you ned to remediate.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
I suppose I should answer the questions posed.
1) Obviously depends on employer and area. Province of Ontario requires the following minimum with 190lbs dummy:
- fore and aft lift onto stair chair
- stair chair up and down two flights of stairs (swap positions and repeat)
- backboard lift and walk 50m. (swap positions and repeat)
- backboard and dummy onto stretcher bottomed out; lift to loading
height and load/unload into ambulance (swap positions and repeat)
- stretcher with dummy up and down three stairs (swap and repeat)

During hiring some services used a much lower weight and/or a much simpler lift test that only examined mechanics. They then coupled this with a static lift assessment (see abilitywerks inc. for an example)

2) In day to day operations it entirely depends. Think outside the box though. Don't assume you have to lift every pt. Consider using bystanders to assist with awkward lifts. Take the time to think it through before you lift. Just because there are less steps and it's quicker, does not make it easier.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
no, it advocates physical fittness. I do not run with people that "can't lift for medical reasons" as far as I'm concered they should be on light duty behind a desk (at the private service i work for) or not allowed on duty (public 911). Lifting and moving Pt's is part of the job...if you can't stay physically fit then you shouldn't be in a healthcare profession.

It would be nice if the place I mentioned had that option. But we don't. So when they're on together the department requires at least one person who can lift to be with them. That would be me. It's the only thing I can do that they can't. Put together, we can handle most calls. But I already have a bad back, and I'm not going to make it worse. We have a whole engineload of macho waiting back at the station... if we need help, it's not a hard decision.