18 year old going to start as EMT, any help to get the job?

OP
OP
F

Flykta

Forum Ride Along
I notice a lot of EMT-B talk. That it is common and somewhat popular. Isn't -B the 2nd level of EMT? Why would it be more popular and frequent than the first.. -A?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I notice a lot of EMT-B talk. That it is common and somewhat popular. Isn't -B the 2nd level of EMT? Why would it be more popular and frequent than the first.. -A?
Of the EMT levels, basic is the lowest. The only one lower is MFR but that's not an EMT

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
For the Paramedic schools in Colorado, you have to have around 6 - 12 months experience, right?

Not really sure. Haven't bothered to look at them too close, and I've only been here like three months. From what I've been told, you can get into programs with little to no experience, but not completely sure on that

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
You can turn a situation and view it anyway you want. You may look at it like that, and thinks its an inadequacy.

I look at is it's better to get experiance as an EMT-B especially working in a 911 system and get dialed on all your BLS skills and see medics run calls. Go to paramedic school and transition to applying those same skills along with all your new training. I guess we have different opinions.

I wouldn't want a person that never worked on ambulance before and is suddenly a medic to work on me or be my partner. In my opinion, a good paramedic is a great EMT with some added skills.

He's not "suddenly a medic," that's why the internship is there, so they can gain experience with at least two people watching over their shoulder to make sure they don't mess up.

adamjh3

B stands for basic. There are a couple levels above it before Paramedic (EMT-P) depending upon where in the country you are. Here in California we have (I think) First Responders (not EMTs, but basically medically trained) EMT-Bs, and I think they're introducing the AEMT (advanced EMT) and then Paramedic.

Most people go Basic -> Medic with no stops in between. The only reason I'm stopping at basic is because I have to work for a year before I can get into medic school. I'm also going to get all my general ed out of the way before I go through medic school.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Take EMT-B course along with whatever prereqs you need to start taking pre-reqs for medic. Take pre-reqs for medic. Go to P-school. Not too hard

adamjh3

Take EMT-B course along with whatever prereqs you need to start taking pre-reqs for medic. Take pre-reqs for medic. Go to P-school. Not too hard

This.

There are levels in between depending on what state you're in, but most here would advise against stopping.

Does a Nurse stop and BSN and CNA on the way to getting their RN?

Welcome to the messed up prehospital system of the USA ;)