16 y/o mvc

OP
OP
paccookie

paccookie

Forum Lieutenant
And then followed by an Epi drip :blink: Maybe the corneas were still viable?

And that's exactly why I prefer to transport straight to a facility that can skip the unnecessary stabilize for transport to the appropriate facility step. I've seen this hospital do this sort of thing more than once and it could be avoided with properly written protocols. Not just for peds pts. But non survivable head trauma as a whole - gsws to the head would be a good example. Isolated head trauma = good potential for organ donation. It sucks to think of it that way but there are so many people waiting for healthy organs. I guess I think about these things differently than most people.

OP
OP
paccookie

paccookie

Forum Lieutenant
Not to mention the unknown time from injury onset to EMS arrival, plus the 6-7 minutes minimum to get to the local doc in the box or 12-15 minutes to get to the trauma center.

So what we're dealing with is a patient who has no pulses for an absolute minimum of 15 minutes (assuming, of course, that EMS only spends 10 minutes on scene) before they arrive at a hospital, and more likely 30-45 minutes.

The call came in about a minute after it happened as there was another person in the dune buggy and at least two bystanders. Response time for EMS was 4 minutes. Pd was on scene doing CPR withing 5 minutes of the initial call to 911.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
And that's exactly why I prefer to transport straight to a facility that can skip the unnecessary stabilize for transport to the appropriate facility step. I've seen this hospital do this sort of thing more than once and it could be avoided with properly written protocols. Not just for peds pts. But non survivable head trauma as a whole - gsws to the head would be a good example. Isolated head trauma = good potential for organ donation. It sucks to think of it that way but there are so many people waiting for healthy organs. I guess I think about these things differently than most people.

Yeah, I hate it when facilities stabilize my patients, too.....

You'll have to change EMTALA if you want them to stop doing that crazy stuff.

OP
OP
paccookie

paccookie

Forum Lieutenant
Yeah, I hate it when facilities stabilize my patients, too.....

You'll have to change EMTALA if you want them to stop doing that crazy stuff.
My point was to transfer to the closest appropriate facility rather than just the closest facility.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
My point was to transfer to the closest appropriate facility rather than just the closest facility.

The closest most appropriate facility in this case (full arrest with an unsecured airway) is the closest hospital to your location.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Will your non trauma facilities accept traumatic arrests?

Ours won't, we get diverted, that's why if we're greater than a few minutes from the TC it gets pronounced unless its a penetrating trauma then they usually get worked and transported.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Will your non trauma facilities accept traumatic arrests?

Ours won't, we get diverted, that's why if we're greater than a few minutes from the TC it gets pronounced unless its a penetrating trauma then they usually get worked and transported.

For us, full arrests go to the closest regardless.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
For most academic facilities Traumatic Arrest = Cadaver Lab