the 100% directionless thread

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
I do agree that emotional maturity usually increases with age (though that's all through life and does not cease at age 23). I will also agree that emotional maturity leads to better life decisions. However, I don't see much overlap between long-term life decisions such as marriage and the immediate application of principles of medicine during a call.

I don't think I said anything at all about "emotional maturity" whatsoever. Or marriage. Or "long term life decisions"..... Or much else of what you brought up.

I said at that age the frontal lobe is under developed, which has a huge impact on decision making capabilities ( since the frontal lobe is responsible for problem solving, memory, and most importantly - judgement). If the part of the brain responsible for making good judgement is not fully developed, that kinda sorta says a lot.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
It's kind of interesting at the same time. I mean technically, I am still within that age where it hasn't fully developed. Guess it could be argued both ways about my decision making.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
I demonstrated pretty significant lack of judgement when I was younger.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Well, many of our patients demonstrate remarkably poor judgment despite being "older." No age seems to have a monopoly on terrible decision making.

Giant81

Forum Lieutenant
An argument could be made that exposing a not fully formed frontal cortex to those kinds of decisions in a controlled environment can lead to it's development being better capable of handling those type of decisions due to neural plasticity.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I mean I had my moments too, but for the most part I've always been pretty mature. Kind of took the being the oldest and an example thing seriously. I just say that I have the heart of a 12 year old, body of a 22 year old and mind of a 42 year old. :p I also had to deal with some stuff that I am ok with never experiencing again and leaving in the past at that age, so I can argue that there are teens who deal with tough situations pretty well. It definitely forced me to grow up some, kind of like Giant said.

I do wonder if there is a difference in maturity(ies?) when it comes to impulse control vs tough choices/situations. I mean I definitely had some more...impulsive moments for sure, I think every teenager has at least one, but I also tackled those not so fun situations and did the best I could. Even with 4 more years of life to reflect on it, I do not think I could have done better all things considered. I could do better now, but I have had that trial by fire experience, growing older wouldn't have helped as much. So overall, I'd say its individual/situational dependent for sure.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Seemingly random question: anyone have any experience sending a fax via the Internet/smartphone app?

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Seemingly random question: anyone have any experience sending a fax via the Internet/smartphone app?
I have used FaxZero on the computer many times and it always worked well. But they didn't have an app, last I knew.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
It takes true willpower to say no to drugs. Especially when the dealers come to your house asking you if you want to buy some... damn girl scouts...

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
An argument could be made that exposing a not fully formed frontal cortex to those kinds of decisions in a controlled environment can lead to it's development being better capable of handling those type of decisions due to neural plasticity.
Or not, since it's not a matter of lack of experiences- it's a matter of fact the brain having to go through pshyscial changes ( like myelination, synaptic pruning and sprouting, etc). Neural plasticity just means the neural pathways are altered in some way by experiences, injuries, etc. The issue with the underdevelopment isn't lack of experiences. It's just physically underdeveloped. Having "life experiences" isn't going to hasten the biological maturing process. Maybe provide more insight and develop responsibility, but it's not going to change an undeveloped frontal lobe into a fully functioning frontal lobe. This is a reason why many departments/companies won't hire below the age of 21. It's not something one has control over- it just is what it is.

Does that mean all teenagers/young adults are turds? No. Does that mean grown adults can't behave in a turd-like fashion? No. But since they are underdeveloped- that does mean they are more likely to have poor judgement and act on impulse.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader

EMT2015

Forum Captain
It takes true willpower to say no to drugs. Especially when the dealers come to your house asking you if you want to buy some... damn girl scouts...
Especially when they have gluten free cookies...damn. Have already bought 5 boxes.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
A black monster and a pack of cheese crackers here

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Chocolate Lucky Charms :cool: