the 100% directionless thread

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Went to the DMV today to renew my Ambulance Driver Certificate. Showed up about 11:30ish, normally the line is outside the door snaking around itself a time or two, instead I walk straight inside, only a handful of people in the "get your number" line, maybe 50 minutes later my number is called, filled out a form or two, gave them $12 cash, took the written test (took the test people longer to dig out the ambulance test than it did for me to take it haha), passed it first time go, and walked out an hour or so after walking in with my temporary ADL. Shoot, sometimes it'll take an hour just to get a number, this was pretty nice. If only the DMV was always this painless and easy haha

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Went to the DMV today to renew my Ambulance Driver Certificate. Showed up about 11:30ish, normally the line is outside the door snaking around itself a time or two, instead I walk straight inside, only a handful of people in the "get your number" line, maybe 50 minutes later my number is called, filled out a form or two, gave them $12 cash, took the written test (took the test people longer to dig out the ambulance test than it did for me to take it haha), passed it first time go, and walked out an hour or so after walking in with my temporary ADL. Shoot, sometimes it'll take an hour just to get a number, this was pretty nice. If only the DMV was always this painless and easy haha
My last time going it took me about 5 minutes to get a number and then maybe 15 minutes to get called.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
My last time going it took me about 5 minutes to get a number and then maybe 15 minutes to get called.

Mine took about 3 hours. 30 minutes to get the number, hour 30 waiting, and about a hour for the whole testing process. Passed on the first try also. For a Tuesday (I think it was) at 0800 it sure was busy.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Our DMV here lets us check in online and gives you text message notifications.

Last time the lady and I went we were there for a grand total of 15 minutes to change both of our addresses and to get her a new picture.

I'm attempting to grill chicken using charcoal for the first time. I will let you know how it goes. So far so good and I only singed my eyebrows a little bit using too much lighter fluid after I lit it once and it didn't seem to light the briquettes after the fluid burned off. :D

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess

Is an ambulance license a state requirement? Or is it a requirement of your company? I wasn't told to get one here. I wonder if I'm supposed to.

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
I finally discovered Smartwool PhD socks. Finally some socks that don't hurt my feet. I was getting tired of having to stop because my danged socks were bothering my feet. Too bad they're so pricey.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
This just amazes me. I'm quoting my Dad here, but isn't this what we pay chief officers for? Stay up on admin stuff like CPR and EMT certs? This isn't just one or two guys falling through the cracks either. Considering it was in the news months ago that CFD had so many guys without EMT certs, and they now still can't get everyone certified....

But in other news....our department is going to start a pilot program next month wherein certain BLS patients can be transported directly to an Urgent Care Center as opposed to the Emergency Department. We've got approval from the county and state, already selected, approved, and coordinated with 4 specific UCC's we will be using, and we are going through training on who can/can't go to the UCC

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Every time I start thinking nothing California EMS does can surprise me anymore they insist on proving me wrong.

How can a professional, career fire department in a large American city of 2015 not have the capability to deliver an automated shock to a cardiac arrest patient in a shockable rhythm? I mean, we are talking about AEDs that have illustrated instructions designed to be understood by elementary age children.

What a disgrace.

Chris07

Competent in Incompetence
There's a reason why AED aren't standard on all BLS ambulances. The State of California makes agencies jump through tons of hoops to become an "Approved AED Provider".

Didn't jump through the hoops? No AEDs for you.

CALEMT

Prime example of one of the many reasons I want to get the hell out of CA.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
In different news. My wife and I got our fit bits today!

CALEMT

100 Irony Points if you move to Colorado....

;)

No thanks haha, while yes I hope to work in a Rocky Mountain state, CO has the CA mindset which just ain't for me.