the 100% directionless thread

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I mean, we are talking about AEDs that have illustrated instructions designed to be understood by elementary age children.
We're probably actually talking about Zoll or LifePack monitors with a semi-automatic mode vs. a true "follow the pretty pictures children" AED like you see out in public all the time. Thats what my agency does.
How can a professional, career fire department in a large American city of 2015 have a near full quarter of their members let their MINIMUM REQUIRED certifications to work expire?
Fixed. Considering Compton FD was first in the news for having their guys working on expired certifications. http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...ghters-without-emt-permit-20150326-story.html This article is from March, and 4 months later a grand total of 1 of those members managed to get renewed by now. In that article the chief is quoted as saying: "Uncertified firefighters were ordered several months ago to qualify for EMT cards by the end of May, he said" And yet, almost none of them did
What a disgrace.
Fully agree.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
No thanks haha, while yes I hope to work in a Rocky Mountain state, CO has the CA mindset which just ain't for me.
No we don't!!!

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Arizona's not bad. Guardian up in Flagstaff is a great gig.

Probably going to get some flack for this, but I'm going the whole fire route. FFD is nice, I like flagstaff but first things first I can't keep procrastinating medic school. Also FYI I'm going to medic school because I want to be a medic, not because I have to be.

No we don't!!!

Well maybe not all the same mindset, but along the lines of it. Don't get me wrong, CO is a beautiful state but some of the recent things CO has done have left a bad taste in my mouth.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Probably going to get some flack for this, but I'm going the whole fire route. FFD is nice, I like flagstaff but first things first I can't keep procrastinating medic school. Also FYI I'm going to medic school because I have to to get a good fire job.
Fixed it for you :p

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Even CALEMT wants to get out of CA, lol.

Got my motorcycle license today. Went to buy a Honda CBR500, but I guess there is some sort of starter issue or something so Honda isn't allowing any sale of them right now until the parts are in and they are replaced. They said I have to wait a week or two. :[

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Even CALEMT wants to get out of CA, lol.

Got my motorcycle license today. Went to buy a Honda CBR500, but I guess there is some sort of starter issue or something so Honda isn't allowing any sale of them right now until the parts are in and they are replaced. They said I have to wait a week or two. :[

go straight for the 1000, got bored of my 600 in a couple months

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I guess I am being a baby, but numerous people told me not to go above a 600 for my first bike. They said 500 was a pretty good compromise for beginner and shouldn't get bored of it too quickly. I have no experience other than the two days I rode a motorcycle in the class you take to get the DMV riding test waived.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Riding a motorcycle wont be hard if you have half a brain. The top speed is quick enough but the giddy up aint there. Talk to me in a few months :)

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I had a 650 twin and that was fun enough. Unlike the inline 4 sport bikes, it had plenty of low end torque, and a decent top end. I miss my ninja 650

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
I guess I am being a baby, but numerous people told me not to go above a 600 for my first bike. They said 500 was a pretty good compromise for beginner and shouldn't get bored of it too quickly. I have no experience other than the two days I rode a motorcycle in the class you take to get the DMV riding test waived.
I like how Mr. Regular puts the "start small" argument.

If your brain has anything resembling a frontal lobe, you'll be fine on a big bike.

250s and 500s are so cheap though.

Last edited:

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
The CBR500 I am trying to buy new is about $6k before tax.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Well my trusty steed (aka my tacoma) hit 100,000 miles today so I ordered a 3" leveling kit for it. After I placed the order for the kit I realized that my truck is in a midlife crisis haha.

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
I'm thinking about getting a gun. I want to go through all the training and such, but I have no idea what kind I should get.

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
Haha. Gee thanks. Is there a gun out there that is better suited for someone that has zero experience with guns? I shot a BB gun when I was 10. That's it for me as far as experience.

That's all I've heard when people start giving advice to prospective gun owners.

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
I'm thinking about getting a gun. I want to go through all the training and such, but I have no idea what kind I should get.

I have the theme song from the Sopranos in my head now. "Got yourself a gun....."

Last edited: