the 100% directionless thread

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I really, really hope it keeps going. Where else could we get gems of wisdom from our friend Sulcan? Or Sultan? Or Sultam? Or possibly Tim?
I looked up the name in Californias ems registery. No name found.

Edit. Looks like others did it as well now that I'm all caught up on the thread.

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
Had to go to the dentist on my first day off in 2 weeks because a crown fell off (not the imaginary one on my head. That one is still intact) and then I swallowed it. After the needle, I was sitting there waiting for the numbing. When the dentist came back and looked in my mouth, he informed me that I took a huge chunk out of the inside of my cheek. (I guess the outside would have been tough) Explains why I tasted blood. o_O

Angel

Paramedic
Did he or is he gonna make it?

I am in a conundrum regarding a possible second job. They want me to quit my current job, doing 911, which I love, for a company that does "scene calls" -contracts with urgent care, SNF, boarding cares/room and boards ect.
He explained it as the same calls as 911 would get, but the dispatching is different. (Obviously no MVAs, Trauma's ect but I'd still get to use my skills)
I'm just torn on what to do =/

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
About to (finally) join the rest of the world and watch Game of Thrones (S1E1) for the very first time

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief

I am in a conundrum regarding a possible second job. They want me to quit my current job, doing 911, which I love, for a company that does "scene calls" -contracts with urgent care, SNF, boarding cares/room and boards ect.
He explained it as the same calls as 911 would get, but the dispatching is different. (Obviously no MVAs, Trauma's ect but I'd still get to use my skills)
Stick to the 911 company, those other types of calls will be seen with 911.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief

Make sure you really dig into what is meant by "scene calls," and what, if anything, has to be kicked back to the designated 911 provider if it exceeds what is allowed. Also consider how much, if any, of the daily call load will be non-emergent discharges/transfers/admits/doctors appointments/dialysis runs et al.

You might want to consider how often ambulances are called emergently to nursing home for "abnormal vitals/labs" or similar nebulous complaints that will require very little thinking and effort on your part; is that something you would want to do all the time?

While there is certainly crossover between that and the average service out there, I'd be wary of a company that ONLY goes to locations that they have a contract with.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I wouldn't quit a job I love unless there was some serious dough involved.

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
Finally got 100% medically for my scaphoid. Full ROM back, no pain at all, full grip strength back.
For my leg, final set of x-rays today show that it healed completely. I've been running again, my cardio is horrendous and I put on some weight during bed rest. But I'm at a 11 min mile. Nearly full ROM back in that (only movement I cant do is outward rotation of my leg.)
Doc told me today he sees no issues with my signing up again.
Now to get that mile down!

Angel

Paramedic
@triemal04, true you make a good point....I know call acuity is low which isn't very encouraging

@Aprz nope, in fact this job pays even less....

Well I guess that puts it in perspective. I'll either do both or stick with what I have now...

I guess I'm just a work horse.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
@triemal04, true you make a good point....I know call acuity is low which isn't very encouraging

@Aprz nope, in fact this job pays even less....

Well I guess that puts it in perspective. I'll either do both or stick with what I have now...

I guess I'm just a work horse.
Wait...If you love your current job, earn more doing it, have a call volume that suits you better, and enjoy running 911, what's the benefit of this other gig? You lost me somewhere.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
^What Chaz said.....it's kind of like the esteemed Sultan trying to recruit me from my current job to his company lol

Angel

Paramedic
@chaz90 The hours. I'm limited in ot at my current job, the new place I won't have to commute, will get full time, good benefits and almost unlimited OT

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
^What Chaz said.....it's kind of like the esteemed Sultan trying to recruit me from my current job to his company lol

I almost spit my drink over my laptop reading that, good one!

Chris07

Competent in Incompetence
Maybe I've been reading the wrong threads, but my inner forum etiquette czar is going ballistic with the amount of double, triple, and quadruple posting in some of the recent threads.

...part of me suspects that I've been reading the wrong, yet highly entertaining, threads.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Just finished a really cool cadaver lab. Mostly IO but also got to play with some video laryngoscopes.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.

Nice job... however...

your-tv-sits-this-way.jpg