zero to hero

Flightorbust

Forum Lieutenant
So Im a former NREMT-B (no state). I got all my CE's but couldnt get my CPR in time so my basic lapsed. Im going back to school for the fall semester to redo my basic and then want to move on to my medic.
Does any one have words of wisdom for me or things I should start working on now? When I do my basic I plan to do as many 3rd rides as I can like last time (5 shifts total).

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
So Im a former NREMT-B (no state). I got all my CE's but couldnt get my CPR in time so my basic lapsed. Im going back to school for the fall semester to redo my basic and then want to move on to my medic.
Does any one have words of wisdom for me or things I should start working on now? When I do my basic I plan to do as many 3rd rides as I can like last time (5 shifts total).

Pick up a college level anatomy and physiology book, and a chemistry book ("Chemistry for the Life Sciences" related.) Hope this helps!

mike1390

Forum Captain
um work as and EMT first... you dont wanna have to learn how to be a good emt while learning how to be a medic. the best medic were really good EMTs.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

Since you've taken basic before, try to take a college A&P class at the same time. It will help immensely when you go to medic. While you're in medic school, try to get a job as an EMT, but it's not a big deal doing medic with little to no experience.

emtchick171

Forum Lieutenant
In addition to the anatomy and physiology class...you may also want to look into a pharmacology class for emergency medicine. Will help immensely.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
In addition to the anatomy and physiology class...you may also want to look into a pharmacology class for emergency medicine. Will help immensely.

I always forget about that one because a semester long pharm class was a pre req to the medic school I was going to.

Iceman26

Forum Crew Member
Since you've taken basic before, try to take a college A&P class at the same time. It will help immensely when you go to medic. While you're in medic school, try to get a job as an EMT, but it's not a big deal doing medic with little to no experience.

Agreed on all counts. My medic program had four or five months of A&P and pharmacology at the start before we even touched the textbook, otherwise I'd have looked into doing that first or co-currently if possible. We also started our weekly drug quizzes then too right at the start to gradually get all the drugs in our box drilled into our heads over months and months. I started my job as an EMT (part-time) and ER Tech (also part-time) right before paramedic school started. So by the time we got into our clincal and vehicular rotations I had been gaining experience for about nine months as an EMT and Tech. I actually worked more in the ER than the field and found it to be more beneficial but that's just a matter of opinion and not really the topic here. Regardless, getting a job as an EMT while in school would be really, really good for you but it's not the end of the world if you don't.

OP
OP
F

Flightorbust

Forum Lieutenant
Getting a job before medic school would be best BUT I already work 60 hrs a week. Im a dj so it gives me time to study and plenty of people to study on. I have to take BIO 201 and 202 as part of the coursework. Like before Ill take my max number of third rides. Thanks for all the input so far

As soon as I hot enough posts Ill put a link to the program but its at ppcc