Your first job as a BASIC

Angel

Paramedic
A semester for EMT, my school required 1 year experience on top of a ~one year program then whatever extra units for the AA degree (I already had) ~2 years
Not including pre reqs (anat, phys and medical calculations)
But there is not standard as some/most dont go to community colleges so sure I understand your point.

Nurses where I did my clinicals were making ~60/hr though they all had prior experience. Of course cost of living is a major factor but even still $17 for a medic vs $40 for a brand new RN is a great desparity. Somehow we need to bridge the gap (I believe through requiring an associates).

Itd be nice if paramedicine had the lobbying and unions that nurses and firefighters have. Even in other countries like Australia and Canada but people are so resistant to getting degrees

Mainspring

Forum Crew Member
I'm gonna say something that might blow some of your minds here.

I used to make around $20 hour as a registry CNA.

at one point, around 2005-2007, most of my shifts were time and a half, making my pay around $28-30 hour... as a CNA... (registry was really busy at that time, few times I got double time)

I'm not complaining as I'm at a part of my life where money isn't really a issue but I still have a hard sometimes wrapping my head around pay rate in pre-hospital care.

CNAs are generally less trained, skilled, and with lot less liability, yet gets paid more then EMTs.

generally CNAs working in hospitals get paid around $13-15 an hour, and believe me, works is not that hard, not like working in nursing homes.

I keep hearing "it's only 160 hours, what do you expect?", well, considering my own experience, well... more.

I don't understand medics pay either.

RN with an associates, 2 years to complete.
Paramedics training, around the same, not counting accelerated programs, but then LVN to RN is only 1 year, from what I understand.

Anyway, ADNs get paid around $30/hr, where as medics around $17... why?

why isn't Paramedic programs a associates degree?

Anyway, it is what it is I guess and perhaps pay will catch up at some point like with RN field. (not too long ago they weren't getting paid much)

Last edited by a moderator:

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Compensation is purely a function of supply:demand. Education actually has little to do with pay.

There are PhD's who can't find a job, or make $25k a year.......

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Compensation is purely a function of supply:demand. Education actually has little to do with pay.

There are PhD's who can't find a job, or make $25k a year.......

I think raising education can be an important step to achieving higher pay/ respect / recognition/ (insert whatever you want to here). It alone won't do much. It along with self regulation and or proper reimbursement ( not just pay per transport) could do wonders.
Limiting the amount of workers and raising the bar is a great first step.

It happened where I am ( within the last 6-9 years)I know the systems are a bit different but it wasn't long ago that they were very similar.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Go to the forum you want to post it in, at the top there's a "new thread" button.

Do not start multiple threads in multiple forums with the same question. They will all be merged to one by the mods, which makes more work for them, and honestly the more times you post it the less inclined people will be to answer your question.

It's pretty tough to get people to admit where they work publicly and you can't PM until you've got 5 posts that are productive.

For what it's worth I've never heard of either of those companies in the 4 years I've been on here.

Do you make moonshine on the side Ms. Bondurant?

;)

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Was that directed at me?

Drax

Forum Captain
Medical Staff in a Correctional Institution ( EMT-B )
Starting wage $14.00 USD
My location is where I found this work.
Took me a little less than a month after passing NREMT.
My method of finding this job was via Google.
I started working the beginning of this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
DC1979

DC1979

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for all these responses. It's good to see the different situations that are out there.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
So I am committing to doing my emt-b this summer after changing careers from outdoor/adventure education. My goal is PA school but to be honest if paramedics made better money I would absolutely go that route. Anyways, I'm curious what peoples experience is right out of school with an emt-b.

What type of work?
How much money did you make? What part of the country?
How long did it take you to find work?
What was the best strategy you found for getting that first gig?
How long ago Did you start?

I think a post with all this info would be super helpful.

Thanks.

911 for Private EMS company
$12.50/MA
About a week
Going into headquarters and asking if they were hiring. Was interviewed on the spot, and started orientation the next week.
2 Years ago.