Your Experience/Time in EMS

How Long have You Been In The Medical Field (See Definition Below)

• Total voters

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
Just interested in the demographic of the forums.

So the question is: How long have you been in the medical field?

This includes Ambulance, Hospital, Clinics, Fire First Response, Ski Patrol Medicine, Military Medicine, SAR... anything human medical related where part of your resposibilities were patient care related. Includes First Responder, EMT (all levels), Paramedic, Nursing Assistant, Medical Assistant, RN, LVN, MD, (and any certification heald overseas that does not confort to U.S. "standards"), and even those of you who are strickly Ambulance Drivers. Those who are students with no medical experience are welcome to.

In addition to the poll, feel free to break down you experience in post:

1 Year on Ambulance
4 Years on Search and Rescue Medical Team
6 Winter Season as the EMT Supervisor at a 60 acre Snow Park
1 Summer as the On-site Medic at a Correctional Facility

Total: Just under 8 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

spnx

Forum Crew Member
Seven years as a first responder. Three years as an instructor, teaching mainly mine rescue teams.

OP
OP
Mountain Res-Q

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
Seven years as a first responder. Three years as an instructor, teaching mainly mine rescue teams.

Really?!!! Cool! Ever get down to California to teach Mine Rescue in the past?

spnx

Forum Crew Member
No (unfortunately!) - all my stuff has been here in Canada. I'm in Saskatchewan, so there are tons of potash mines here. Looks like job security for me!

It's fun judging their competitions too. And helping to come up with creative new scenarios to screw with their minds :p

OP
OP
Mountain Res-Q

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
No (unfortunately!) - all my stuff has been here in Canada. I'm in Saskatchewan, so there are tons of potash mines here. Looks like job security for me!

It's fun judging their competitions too. And helping to come up with creative new scenarios to screw with their minds :p

Cool. Just wondering because our County SAR Team was once of only 5 MSHA Underground Rescue Teams in the state of California for years. Finally the time and energy requirements became too much for a volunteer team that didn't run nearly as many underground calls as we thought we would. Just wanted to see if you knew any of our guys... such as Dan Brennan?

apagea99

Forum Lieutenant
I haven't started yet except for training/school. I'm going to wait to look for an EMS job until after I get back from basic training and AIT. Until then, my current job will be tolerable <_<

spnx

Forum Crew Member
Cool. Just wondering because our County SAR Team was once of only 5 MSHA Underground Rescue Teams in the state of California for years. Finally the time and energy requirements became too much for a volunteer team that didn't run nearly as many underground calls as we thought we would. Just wanted to see if you knew any of our guys... such as Dan Brennan?

I don't - some guys that I train who go to international competitions might though - was he in Reno last year?

OP
OP
Mountain Res-Q

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't - some guys that I train who go to international competitions might though - was he in Reno last year?

Negative, he was an Underground Rescue Instructor and is currently an honorary member of our team, but I haven't seen him in years. Our underground team was disbanded 2 years ago adn no one in our team holds current certification. Last I heard a new mine was going in about 3 hours north of us in California and we are going to donate all our mine rescue gear to them in exchange for (maybe) a new vehicle from the state and mutual aid services in teh event that we need mine rescue help again.

spnx

Forum Crew Member
Too bad! I'm surprised there isn't more emphasis on keeping these guys active. It's very big up here.

Some of the training is brutal - things like them being called 3700 feet underground, getting all their gear, rushing to the scene of a vehicle rollover, multiple casualties, and it's only when they get on scene do they realize it's actually an exercise, not real (!)

But it's GOOD training.

OP
OP
Mountain Res-Q

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
Too bad! I'm surprised there isn't more emphasis on keeping these guys active. It's very big up here.

Some of the training is brutal - things like them being called 3700 feet underground, getting all their gear, rushing to the scene of a vehicle rollover, multiple casualties, and it's only when they get on scene do they realize it's actually an exercise, not real (!)

But it's GOOD training.

You know, the support just wasn't there after a while. It costs way too much in money, time, and energy for volunteers to keep up with it when the amount of missions we ran (even on State-wide Mutual Aid) wasn't there. We have a hard enough time staying current on Search, Medical, Swiftwater, Ropes, and Dive. After 10+ years of taking on the resposibility of being only one of 5ish Mine Rescue Teams in the state, we have now passed the torch on to another team with the knowledge that they will be there for us if we need them, just as we were for them. And brutal is an understatment!

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

17 years Volunteer FF, FR, EMT, SAR, ER tech, Paramedic

Lifer i suppose

Corky

OP
OP
Mountain Res-Q

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
So based on the poll (assuming 25 people is enough to form a opinion with):

32% of the people (1/3) on these forums have less than 1 year experince
Only 16% have more than 10 years experience
Which means that the other 1/2 of us fall in between

Interesting to see what the level of experience is when it comes to some of the discussions found here.

OP
OP
Mountain Res-Q

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
19 years as a volunteer firefighter/emt.18 years on a volunteer ambulance squad as an emt

See, now you are just throwing off my stats in the previous post. ;)

johnnyreb132

Forum Crew Member
Its been 1 year since I started running on a BLS ambulance as a ride-along which basically made me the equipment mule and I was allowed to do basic vitals (pulse ox, BP, etc.) Finally take the EMT-B course in 3 weeks and yes that was awhile to take the course. On the bright side, I can locate everything on the ambulance. ^_^

OP
OP
Mountain Res-Q

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
what are u talking about

Since no one else was voting I drew conclusions based on the 25 people who voted in the post just before yours. Then you and others started voting and it through off my earlier conclusions. IT WAS A JOKE. Thanx for your vote... and everyone else keep on voting. It is interesting to see that the bulk of the voters/posters so far have less than 3 years experience (50%).

Last edited by a moderator: