Your end of shift

Aerin-Sol

Forum Captain
IFT

We might get held over 4 hours if we're really behind on runs, or we might get sent home 3 hours early if we're really over-staffed. It's a bit frustrating.

emtchick171

Forum Lieutenant
Generally, I am at least 30 minutes late getting off shift, sometimes it has been up to 2 hours late...just depends on the call and where we have to transport to.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Most shifts off on time.

the Happy Medic

Forum Probie
Since I'm on an engine now, almost always on time at 8am. When on the medic unit it was common to stay 30-45 minutes past change over for one last run.
(San Francisco Fire Based EMS)

the Happy Medic

Forum Probie
held over 4 hours? Is that by request or mandatory?

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Rural system with a set EOT here. Calls at 17:59 still belong to the day shift if the night shift isn't staffed at that station. I plan for the 12 hour shift to take 14 hours and am happily surprised when I get off on time. 1700-1800 is a very busy hour in every system I've worked for.

Motojunkie

Forum Lieutenant
Mandatory. It only happens on very busy days but getting held over 2-3 hours is quote common for certain shifts, again, mandatory.

This happens at our company as well, but it's slightly different. We do 911 and have separate trucks for IFT, but if we get a lot of IFT's they'll send some 911 trucks to do them. If we are absolutely slammed and way behind, crew chief will send out a page (all our medics have pagers that have hospital status, run numbers, etc. on them) asking if anybody wants to volunteer to stay over their end time to get the calls back to a more manageable level. Nobody ever says yes. Why? Company policy is that if they institute a mandatory holdover you get OT pay regardless of how many ours that week you've worked. So of course nobody volunteers and they have to institute a mandatory, then we all get happy because we get good money.

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
I rarely finish on time.

We get paid double time for any work done after our rostered end of shift.

Most I have done is just over 3 hours overtime. Once we clear from a job after our finish time, they put us out of service and no jobs can be dispatched on our return to station.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
we have a 2-hour hold over policy in our contract whereby we can get holdover for a max of 2 hours (duh) after our scheduled eos. our dispatch is really nice, to me anyways, and it hardly ever happens only when we get slammed.

I was heldover and caught in traffic about 15 from the station once and our relief was able to bring supplies in a Sup rig to meet us and and we took the Sup rig back. didn't save us much time but it made the rude home nice knowing we wouldn't pop a call as the closest unit.