You just might be a volly EMT if...

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
Okay, is this true for anyone? Because that's just damn impressive.

absolutely!!! if you buff county EMS you learn them all.

EMTGUY12

Forum Probie
your def a vollie if you've ever gotten gotten toned out and been oh lets say riding a moped and had to to respond on that...HAHA when I did that i caught a lot of :censored::censored::censored::censored: for a long time with that.

jordanfstop

Forum Lieutenant
its true but not impressive. everyone here can do it with some accuracy.

RPS is harder to get (in 401, at least).. I haven't listened to much 201/301 or 501, but on 401 we just have M23/M25 and I can get it right most of the time. In 401 we only have the two-stage tones for medics and ambulance. it seems that 201/301 has three-stage tones. i even have the second crew and all-call tones down :D (well, only rvac and spring hill have second crews.. faist and sloatsburg have first and all-call.)

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
if you actually want a call in the middle of the night.

aussieemt1980

Forum Lieutenant
hehehe

When I was a vollie with a first aid agency, (yes, I have done that too) I once took a patient into an ED and asked if they had bundaberg rum (a great drink from Australia) on IV for me....

most of this stuff would also fit for paid staff, especially as they are exposed to this more often, but unlike vollies, the excitement seems to have left them.

Having said that, now that I am paid for doing what I used to do for free, I dont think I have changed that much.

I once had:

A police siren as my ringtone:- changed it when I always pulled over when the phone started to ring (not a bad thing - but I always looked for the car behind me...)

When I was a vollie, i had the standard emergency warning signal on the duty phone, so I knew it was an emergency, changed it pretty quick!

I have seen vollies with more equipment on their belts than an ambulance, and they would put a stretcher on their belt as well if it was physically possible;

As a vollie at an event I once fitted magnetic "red/blue strobes" to my epaulettes as a joke so "I could respond quicker to emergencies". They were little flashing flags that I got from a stall...

Although, you might be a vollie if you actually feel excited about your next shift....

piranah

Forum Captain
you might be in EMS if when you order food 9/10 you have to call back to hold your order...

you know your in ems when your scanning the pd channel and just by the way they're talking you get your stuff ready for "tuuuuuuuudddddaaaaap.....STANDBY RESCUE"

laina66

Forum Crew Member
I can DEFINATELy tell when local areas are coming on with a call. haha
every tone is different!

firecoins

IFT Puppet
RPS is harder to get (in 401, at least).. I haven't listened to much 201/301 or 501, but on 401 we just have M23/M25 and I can get it right most of the time. In 401 we only have the two-stage tones for medics and ambulance. it seems that 201/301 has three-stage tones. i even have the second crew and all-call tones down :D (well, only rvac and spring hill have second crews.. faist and sloatsburg have first and all-call.)

I have 201/301 down pat. Thats 6 BLS agencies and 3 medic stations. 201 are 2 tones.

501 is real easy. You have 1 ambulance corp and 1 medic station. Not too difficult.

601 uses the same frequency but uses a different PL so you don't hear them unless you have it programmed in to do so. So 601 is just like 501 in 1 BLS Agency and the same exact tones for the medic unit as 501.

himynameismj

Forum Crew Member
You know you're a volly EMT when:

- You go to bed 4 out of 7 nights on top of the covers, wearing cargo pants stuffed with your wallet and keys, the stations polo shirt and leather boots.

- You use your noisy family as an excuse to chill at the station house so much, because you couldn't do your homework.

- You start organizing your weekend shifts as to who will be around 7am - 7pm for a Halo tournament in the den.