Yet another newbie...

Summit

Critical Crazy
Fresh EMT, just scored my first actual paid EMT position... I can't wait to get some real experience.

Just checkin in from the top of the high country in Colorado...

Hi

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Welcome to our own little corner of dementedness.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Hey Summit! Where in CO are you? And welcome to the group!

OP
OP
Summit

Summit

Critical Crazy
Dementedness is a good thing! :)

I'm in Summit County CO (I'm also around the neighboring counties a lot for work and play).

rescuecpt

I'm in Durango on business. :D

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Summit,

Welcome! Are you working in public or private EMS?

I hope you stick around a while. An oh... be careful about telling rescuecpt too many details about where you are. I said a bit too much last time and woke up at 2 AM to an ambulance doing doughnuts on my lawn. :rolleyes: :D

OP
OP
Summit

Summit

Critical Crazy
MMiz: LOL

Public. It is a county run ambulance service in a fairly rural county (13K 2000sqmi ~6ppl/sqmi 1700calls/yr).

(And the two rescue groups I volunteer with operate under the auspices of the sherrif's office, they are all volunteer and I've only been with them for about a two years).

I start my ambulance job monday with training and orientation. Anyone have any tips?

rescuecpt

Originally posted by MMiz@Dec 10 2004, 01:16 AM
Summit,

Welcome! Are you working in public or private EMS?

I hope you stick around a while. An oh... be careful about telling rescuecpt too many details about where you are. I said a bit too much last time and woke up at 2 AM to an ambulance doing doughnuts on my lawn. :rolleyes: :D
Haha, you're SOOOOOOOOO FUNNY :p

MariaCatEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Congratulations on becoming an EMT, and landing a position. Good job! Welcome to the forum. I wish you great fortune, and many learning experiences in your chosen profession. We can be a rather odd group of folks...can we say demented points of view? :rolleyes: My husband thinks my sense of humor is...well....just not right, but I think he'll eventually see things "my way" now that he is a volunteer firefighter.

I look forward to getting to know you in the forum. Take care! Stay safe!

EMTstudent

Forum Lieutenant
Summit,

Welcome to the boards!

I can't wait until I make the announcement of landing an EMT job.... First thing is first... school, then certification :)

I start my classes in January...

Talk to you soon.

:D

lindsayn2

Forum Probie
I think we would all have to agree that the 1st year is such an eye opener!! You will see things that you have never in your wildest dreams imagined. You will be amazed at the way people live behind closed doors. :eek: And once you finally decide you have seen it all, BAM something else comes along! Dont let our stories though scare you because no matter what kind of situation you are dealing with and no matter how bad the call may be you can always look back on at as a learning experience. Good luck and have fun!!!

OP
OP
Summit

Summit

Critical Crazy
Day 1 orientation training Day 2 NRP Day 3 Orientation and my first shift Day 4 end of orientation + backcountry rescue orientation. Done with orientation now I continue with 3rd man shifts.

So far I love it. It's slowbut I knew it would be that way (hopefully that avoids burnout). I can I am stoked to have this job (turns out even as a B, combitube is in our protocols via waver).

MY VERY FIRST AMBULANCE RUN EVER was very strange. At night, RP=victim via cell said car accident and then asthma. The directions were terrible, we went to the position the victim gave and had at least 6 units searching the area. The victim refused to give dispatch their name and continued to give directions and would randomly claim to see vehicles. The dispatch lost contact. Finally, after nearly an hour, one law unit found the victim ~1.5mi away from the specific location she gave. I recognized the victim (a friend, surprised the hell out of me as I don't live in the county I work in, and the victim was an EMT). Clear ETOH, not damage to vehicle (hit snowbank), things became very strange as the medic and the basic apparently knew the victim very well and were rather fed up. Anyhow it was very strange. Transported, then the victim tried to run out hte back door of the hospital to get away from the LEO. Everyone told me this was a very unusual run.

40sCutest

Forum Lieutenant
Way to go on the new EMT... I just got mine in August!