Yeah Passed the First of My Practicals Today!

EDAC

Forum Crew Member
We started testing for our practicals (EMT-B) today, as I walked into the stations I was testing the instructor says "We have about 15 minutes before we start, if you want a couple of minutes go ahead" I went through the 3 stations we were going to test on and was very comfortable at ease and confident." When I said i was ready he says you passed, I sat and watched and listened to you breeze through the stations. I though that was very cool, he says many students get so nervous when they know they are being tested that they just fall apart, if they think they are not being watched and they know the material they will usually do everything correctly.
I know some may not agree, but if the student knows the material and is being evaluated I think it is OK. I know I was so nervous going in, but when I did not think I was being evaluated I was relaxed and went through it just like I was taught. I am not sure if this how all were tested, but for me it worked and I felt so much better after I finished. Its really not hard at all, but anytime I am being tested, I just get a bit nervous, like many do.

I am really enjoying the class and and on pace to finish with a 98%, I was hoping for 100%, but I had a couple of brain cramps.

Owenscott

Forum Probie
Same thing happened to us .. sort of ... just before our EMT practicals they said we have all next day ready for retests if needed. Took the pressure off and we all passed.

VFFforpeople

Forum Captain
As a skills teacher for EMT class..I like to pressure my students with testing, half way through I will say something random or stand over them and ask them questions about what and why they are doing it. Out in the field we dont get lucky and not have people watch us. your PTs family or friends will be there asking questions and bugging you and saying random things.

I think the way you were tested is kinda a let down, how do I know you can do it under pressure. Just a thought. Gratz on passing.

OP
OP
E

EDAC

Forum Crew Member
As a skills teacher for EMT class..I like to pressure my students with testing, half way through I will say something random or stand over them and ask them questions about what and why they are doing it. Out in the field we dont get lucky and not have people watch us. your PTs family or friends will be there asking questions and bugging you and saying random things.

I think the way you were tested is kinda a let down, how do I know you can do it under pressure. Just a thought. Gratz on passing.

I appreciate and understand where you are coming from. I am not certain that all students were tested the same way. I believe I was tested this way because I am one of 3 of us in our class who spend a lot of extra time running scenarios and practicing our skills testing, I have yet to spend less than an 1 &1/2 hrs after labs to take advantage of the extra time. Our instructor will run scenarios for those of us who wish to stay, or allow us to practice our practical skills. Each week it is the same 3 of us who stay after, perhaps he has taken notice and tested accordingly. We ask that they give us difficult scenarios so we can learn from the extra time we have.

We are given 2 hrs after each class to go over anything we would like and I will spend at least that amount of time, if possible to get all the extra time in that I can. May be that has something to do with the way I was tested, just speculation on my part though.

Owenscott

Forum Probie
I like to pressure my students with testing, half way through I will say something random or stand over them and ask them questions about what and why they are doing it.

Well i have a differing view, i think we should be testing their knowledge not seeing if we can confuse them. I understand their is a lot of pressure out there in the field but they usually don't have the patient "routine" down yet ... its tuff enough when when the dummies aren't real people and you have had NO on the job training.

Trying to remember the exact steps on the sheet when in most cases if you do them out of order in the field its not the end of the pt. or the end of all your schooling and money invested. I'd rather be doing it on a real pt. ....