Would this be inappropriate?

EMSDude54343

Forum Lieutenant
I work in the Communications Center. Awhile back I took a 911 call for an unresponsive 2 yr old female and ended up doing CPR over the phone. In the course of doing CPR we ended up getting a pulse back per the caller, and just continued in assisting in breathing until the crews took over. The crews transported to the local ED while assisting in ventilations. That put me in a good mood because I have taken a lot of pediatric codes and have never had a good outcome of any kind. Granted it wasn’t a complete recovery pre-hospital but at least a steady regular pulse that was sustained all the way to the ED.
Well 2 days later, after the pt was put on a vent and transferred to the local pediatric hospital, the patient died. After an investigation, it was determined the parents of this child had beat her while the other children her age were in the house. And what makes it so bad is that they adopted this child, and the others in the house.
It took a long time for me to get over this call, and in many ways I still haven’t. But I have learned to deal with it and learned from it.
Well a memorial park has been opened in my area, and it is themed for kids who lose their life before they grow old (because five teens were killed in a crash that inspired this memorial). And what I want to do is to get a memorial brick in her name, which just says “In Loving memory of (pt name)”, because she was adopted and her only parents are the reason she isn’t here. She deserves to be remembered.
Would that be inappropriate?

BrushBunny91

Forum Lieutenant
I think it is a very nice thing your doing. More people should have the same human compassion that you do.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief

BandageBrigade

Forum Lieutenant
I dont see it.as inappropriate, but I also dont see a real point unless it is going to be a comfort to you. Personnally I think the best memorial would be a donation to some type of abuse awareness cause, better screening of foster parents, dhs, child abuse programs, a child abuse recognition for first reponders course, ect ect..

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Is it going to make you feel better?

If yes, than do it.

Hopefully this child's soul is at peace.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
Healing is a process, not an event. And it appears you are still healing. Who wouldn't be? If donating a brick for the memorial will help you heal, then great. But I wouldn't be totally unreceptive to the idea of assisting those services who daily help children like the one you worked the call on. Both ideas sound good to me. Go for it and good luck.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
YES, I say do it for both of you, us, and everyone who reads it even if they don't understand what it's about. You're telling the world she made a difference, thank you!

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Do it.

OP
OP
EMSDude54343

EMSDude54343

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks for the support guys! My best friend thought it wasn’t that appropriate because I didn’t know her so I wanted some other people’s opinions. I’m definitely going to do it now. She deserves to have a place to be remembered, because I doubt the state paid for a gravesite. :sad:

On a side note, I did some research and the trial for the adoptive mother that murdered her isn’t going to happen until the spring of 2012, and this happened in December of 2009!!! Don’t you just love our judicial system sometimes? :rolleyes:

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Of course do it, for you for her and for others.

And yes the judicial system has major issues.

Nervegas

Forum Lieutenant
Do it, not just for her, but for all of us who have dealt with this at one point or another in our careers. We all handle the stress differently, and this is definitely one of the positive, makes a difference ways to do that.

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
Go for it! Pediatric calls are my worst, i hate them... And I do not believe it is, you are putting that child's name so he/she can be remembered and not forgotten!!!

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I don't think it's inappropriate... as long as the how's and why's stay off the brick. It's to commemorate and celebrate a life, not to serve as a marker of death.