Working Two Jobs At Work

Hastings

Noobie
Related to the EMT Multitasking thread in this section:

My service requires nothing to be done during downtime. Lately, we've had some very slow days. Like, 0-2 calls in a 12 hour shift slow. I've been wondering if I could do something productive during that downtime to earn a little extra money. Anyone know any legitimate ways to make money "at home"? Perhaps over the internet? Any clever ideas would be great.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Check your employee policy. When you are earning money doing something else while you are being paid by an employer may be a violation of your terms of employment. The reasoning is that your loyalties are divided. A case could be made that the reason you were unable to respond in record time was because your attention was elsewhere.

It has to be something that can be left when the tones go off. My husband builds bamboo fly rods. He does some of the rough planing of the pieces while on shift. Anything more delicate or time sensitive has to wait for off time.

OP
OP
H

Hastings

Noobie
Check your employee policy. When you are earning money doing something else while you are being paid by an employer may be a violation of your terms of employment. The reasoning is that your loyalties are divided. A case could be made that the reason you were unable to respond in record time was because your attention was elsewhere.

It has to be something that can be left when the tones go off. My husband builds bamboo fly rods. He does some of the rough planing of the pieces while on shift. Anything more delicate or time sensitive has to wait for off time.

Already cleared. The only requirement, again, is that it's something that can be dropped at a moment's notice.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
Already cleared. The only requirement, again, is that it's something that can be dropped at a moment's notice.

Transcription. Some people transcribe as a second job... a second full time job if you desire. You do it over the web, at your own pace, and, yes, you can drop it at a moment's notice. Careful, though. Uncle Sam loves it when his nieces and nephews have more than one full time job.

OP
OP
H

Hastings

Noobie
Transcription. Some people transcribe as a second job... a second full time job if you desire. You do it over the web, at your own pace, and, yes, you can drop it at a moment's notice. Careful, though. Uncle Sam loves it when his nieces and nephews have more than one full time job.

Transcription? Care to point me in the right direction?

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Transcription? Care to point me in the right direction?

Good point.. make sure your Fed Tax witholding includes the income from both.. if you are doing piece work or contract labor, there won't be taxes taken out and this can be a very unpleasant surprise come tax time.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Maybe you could do online surveys for money.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
What kind of hobbies do you have and is there a possibility of getting that hobby into quarters while on shift?

At the company I'm riding with one of the crew chiefs runs a side business doing woodcarving, he can often be found in his office working on a piece. Another medic is into computers, he will bring parts in, assemble a computer and get all the software installed so it's ready to run during the day.

FF894

Forum Captain
How about this- I totally forget the name right now but there is a website that random joe schmo people video tape themselves reviewing a product that other random joe schmo consumers watch to see if they like the product before they buy it. So basically you find anything in your house, garage, car, anything and spend a minute explaining it to the camera. Say what you like or dislike about it. You get paid different amounts for different product- you get paid more for reviewing a television set over a pencil. It adds up over time. I will think of site and post.