working for fallon. quincy ma

bceltics857

Forum Probie
hey! anyone work for fallon outta quincy?!? wondering how is it? what do they start there emts at money wise? are the benefits ok? first response stoughton has a partnership with fallon if u commit to work for them full-time they pay 100% of your tution. so im wondering how the company is and what the pay is. any feed back would be awesome. thanks!!

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Just another run-of-the mill, non-career ambulance company. Pay should be around 12.50, not sure on the benefits. If they are going to pay for your tuition then I would say go for it, but make sure you know how long you will have to commit to them by doing that. Pretty sure they have the 911 contract for quincy still, unless Brewster took it over. 911 is left mainly for the ALS rigs though.

OP
OP
bceltics857

bceltics857

Forum Probie
Just another run-of-the mill, non-career ambulance company. Pay should be around 12.50, not sure on the benefits. If they are going to pay for your tuition then I would say go for it, but make sure you know how long you will have to commit to them by doing that. Pretty sure they have the 911 contract for quincy still, unless Brewster took it over. 911 is left mainly for the ALS rigs though.
Thanks. Im guessing there would be plenty of OT. What companys are worth working for in the area?

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
MA honestly sucks for basics, but if I had to go back I would probably go to Cataldo north of Boston. Probably the best place for experience. Get your medic ASAP if you plan on staying in EMS and try to get on with a public entity.

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
Brewster has taken over 911 in Quincy. You probably want to work for either Cataldo or Brewster, depending on whether you're more south or north shore.

Cataldo is probably better experience for a brand new basic as they'll throw you right onto a truck in Chelsea/Everett/Somerville, but it's not worth driving through Boston for if you live in Quincy. Brewster has Brockton, Quincy, Middleboro, likely picking up Taunton soon... so there is opportunity to get some good BLS experience there too, though it might be hard to get onto those trucks if you don't have much experience.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Do u think its worth it to get the free training and work for fallon for a bit?

paramedic training? Yes. My guess is you will have to work there about 2-3 years after you get your medic if you let them pay for it. Or leave and pay the difference. Fallon is not all bad. Just don't expect to make a living off of it.

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
Do u think its worth it to get the free training and work for fallon for a bit?

What are the details on this? Are they offering free paramedic training, or is it a free EMT-B course? What is the time commitment like afterwards?

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
I think if it's free paramedic training, I'd consider it. If it's a free EMT-B course, I'd take a pass and go to Brewster/Cataldo.

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
Its emt b training..so i should just pay for it and go else were

That's what I would recommend, personally, having talked to a number of people who have worked at all 3 of the companies in question (Fallon / Cataldo / Brewster).

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm not sure, but I get the impression that Brewster is the highest-paying private in the Boston area at the moment.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I got an offer from Fallon with I think 12/hr, that was in 2011. Brewster was 12.50 at the time for a new basic, don't know if that has changed.

As said, Brewster, Cataldo, or Fallon would be my choices, in that order. Action and Armstrong are alright places as well but less opportunity to do 911 as a new employee. Eascare does a lot of Boston EMS backup but that's your only possible chance and with no 911 contracts most of your work will be BLS transfers. Cataldo also does Paramedic/Basic ambulances, which the others don't do as much (or didn't a few years ago).

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Thanks. Im guessing there would be plenty of OT. What companys are worth working for in the area?

If you're willing to go a bit outside that area, Trinity in Lowell gives a LOT of experience to basics. They provide 911 for Lowell, Chelmsford, Haverhill, and a few other communities in the area. In Lowell and Chelmsford, double basic units respond to all calls with ALS fly-cars as needed, with the rare exception of their paramedic unit going out solo.

SixEightWhiskey

Forum Crew Member
Trinity is definitely good for BLS 911 experience, Lawrence General Hospital in Lawrence has BLS 911 now as well but you need a couple years of experience before coming on. Cataldo is a great starting place, i think the most recent starting rate I heard was 13/hr. Armstrong is much the same thing and they dispatch BLS as backup for a lot of their contracted FDs with ALS non-transporting units. Pro in Cambridge also has a couple BLS trucks as well that do a mix of 911s and transfers.

Definitely worth it to just get your EMT-B and work somewhere good. There's a ton of good EMT programs throughout Eastern Massachusetts and the cost isn't too outrageous.

OP
OP
bceltics857

bceltics857

Forum Probie
Im looking at northeastern and or bu or ems academy in quincy, so it looks like all emt b's start out at 13ish? Im guessing theres lots of OT? I wanan use it as a stepping stone to eventually maybe get into a hospital

SixEightWhiskey

Forum Crew Member
Im looking at northeastern and or bu or ems academy in quincy, so it looks like all emt b's start out at 13ish? Im guessing theres lots of OT? I wanan use it as a stepping stone to eventually maybe get into a hospital
between 12-13 depending where you go if i recall correctly. OT just depends on how well staffed your company is and how many trucks they run. And by getting into a hospital, what job/career field are you referring to?

OP
OP
bceltics857

bceltics857

Forum Probie
Honestly not postive. I just wanan be in the medical field..maybe rad tech er tech surgical tech. Something along those lines..figured emt would be a good start