Wis. city to hire more paramedics; some EMTs take offense

firecoins

IFT Puppet
The work experience as an EMT varies from employer to employer and with the initiative of the employee.
yes, as oppossed to having only an 8 to 12 hour shift required from EMT-B class. Any experience is a plus.

Too often, as evidenced by some posts, EMTs do not take advantage of the potential experience they could get even doing routine transports.
Your correct. Many of us hate transports. But transports are good experience.

Too often, EMTs enter Paramedic school and still can not properly take a BP or get an adequate history.
This is the fault of a horrible EMT class. It stengthens my point on experience. People with good experience will learn to do these things.

I would like to see the Paramedic student being taught in a structured curriculum that allows students to utilize skills as they get them. If the Paramedic program was a 2 year degree, there would be the opportunity to do 4 - 6 semesters of clinicals. Whereas, the Paramedic program now on an average in the US is approx 1100 hours total. This is the number for just the clinicals in other professions. Some professions, after the degree graduation, require an extra semester of supervised interning at a facility before they receive permission to sit for their boards. Structured clinicals would better ensure experience is gained at all the levels and not depending on the hit and miss of work experience.
Paramedic programs often have a very low admissions criteria allowing anyone into the program who has them money. I love the rotaions I do for my paramedic program. Wish I had more of them.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
When describing having experience is really pointless. If one describes having experience, what does that really mean? One would have to evaluate the type of service, run volume, type of calls, progressiveness of the service, etc. For example, I know of many that work on metro units that respond to 15 calls in 12 hours, yet have poor experience, basically all load and go. The opposite in some rural areas that one may have to perform multiple drips, etc.. or maybe in rural are with little exposure. So stating one has experience means nothing.

I suggest residency requirements after graduating from Paramedic school, similar to physicians. NREMT used to have provisional requirements (6 months)at the level one tested for before receiving certificate, patch, etc. Shame that was removed. If one had a residency requirement of being supervised under a Paramedic after graduation for a year, then would we see a change of gaining experience and implementing their knowledge and skills.

As well, many EMS companies now prefer to hire those with no prior experience. I know of many. They much rather "mold" their employees, and have those without previous baggage or "bad" habits.

Personally yes, I can detect those without experience and those with in a classroom and in the field. Is it crucially essential one has it before Paramedic school? Recommended but not crucial. There has been thousands that have graduated from programs that went straight into the field without difficulties.

I much rather see that requirements such as science, reading, mathematics be installed than experience. All will get experience when they become employed. Being a Basic for a certain amount of time, without specific criteria does not change anything.

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Here is what I was asked: How long have you worked as an EMT? Volunteer or paid? What was you call volume? Was it 911 or transport? Can you get a letter from your employer verifying this? It isn't hard for a paramedic program to gage you experience. The several medic programs in my general vicinity all require a minimum of a year of one kind or another. They are looking for people who have had the opportunity to run calls of one nature or another above and beyond having taken the EMT course. I think we all agree that 1 12-hour rotation is not enough to be an EMT-B. So all EMS experience is good.

I don't see any problems with adding science requirements on. A&P I & II were requirements. Medical terminology is a co requiste for some programs. Bio I and Inorganic Cehm I should be requirments. College Algebra, Precalclus, Stats could arguably be added. Legal writing would be a nice class. Criminal Investigations can be added. Fire Science/Haz Mat classes would be nice as well. A nice mix of classes can arguably be added pre-req or co-req.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
From an administrative point of view, looking at it from a fiscal and risk management perspective, an EMT-P can do BLS and ALS. An EMT-B can only do one of them. So, having a purely ALS response eliminates the possibility of having a BLS rig respond to a call that turns out to need ALS. This can happen in multi-tiered response agencies.

Having the highest level of care available to all is definitely the optimum. However, due to the requirements of ALS being fully staffed 24/7, those outlying rural areas may not see it anytime soon.

I get to see this from both sides, being a volunteer EMT-B with a rural response agency, but married to a civic career FF/EMT-P. Staffing levels at the civil agency are the biggest concern at every union contract negotiation.

I agree the trend should be towards a higher standard of care for all. But, until then, I will keep renewing my EMT-B and doing what I can. I guess I just can't quit my day job!:rolleyes:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I believe that we allow too many into the Paramedic programs. I realize some areas have "entry requirements: however; that is an exception. Usually, as long as one has the $$ and has completed Basic EMT, they are generally accepted.

I would think having a harder entry point, one would see a change in the type of student we have and the type of Paramedic we produce as well. A point system based upon variable requirements one could have accomplished. Experience would be a number, additional complimentary courses would be additional points, etc. Anatomy and physiology (collegiate level) should be mandated before entry into advanced level courses, as well upper level scores on pre- health occupational exams such as HOBIT, Briggs, Nelson Denny, etc.

Any program not requiring such is asking for failure from students. Understanding the base levels of reading, science, comprehension helps instructors know about their students needs. Instead of teaching physiology and anatomy should be a review in Paramedic class, thus allowing more time to teach and study patient care.

Ironically, if EMS was union or had more political action, similar to other health care professions, the cities would never even consider or reducing the number.

R/r 911