Will I forget what I have learned?

JH-EMT

Forum Probie
Anybody have any advice, guidance? i have been an EMT-B for just a few months and I graduated in Dec of 2009, and i'm worried I will forget what i've learned. I try to study to refresh my memory. i did very well in school, but i'm still looking for a full time job and i'm afraid I'll get rusty. thoughts?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Yes. Will you remember every little detail even when working? No. It happens to everyone. I guatentee that your medical director doesn't remember every little detail about everything from medical school.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Thread moved.

And yes, I find that if I don't use a skill or knowledge I forget it. Took Spanish in high school, and barely remembered any in college. Took two years in college, and barely remember any now.

With EMS, I graduated two years before I got a job, and forgot a majority of what I had learned in class. I had to quickly get back up to speed, and spent many of my first shifts reading my book and going over protocols.

Now that I'm mostly out of EMS, I still do my CEUs, read the trade magazines, and try to stay current with protocols and patient care.

As is the case with most things, a lot of the information comes back to me after I'm immersed in it for a short period. Before I teach any lesson as a teacher I read the section in the book, even though I already know the information. Usually that's enough to get my mind going, remember the anecdotes that I share every year, and pull together the information I will share with students.

OP
OP
J

JH-EMT

Forum Probie
yea that makes sense. i figured that would be the case, im just a little nervous. i really love the ems field and i want to be the best that i can. i purposely did not go straight to medic school, after emt, because i wanted some real life experience. now i'm having a hard time practicing my skills. thanks for the input.

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah I am worrying about this to. I find myself studying on the weekends sometimes just to try to stay sharp. I try to keep abreast of new things going on in EMS. All of this can be overwhelming at times, I know it is impossible to remember everything. I have that little spiral bound critical care book, it works good. How does everyone else keep up?

glock22brent

Forum Probie
retaking CPR classes every several months. i know, it may seem simple, however you would be surprised what you forget in just a little bit of time.

JPINFV

Gadfly
retaking CPR classes every several months. i know, it may seem simple, however you would be surprised what you forget in just a little bit of time.

Why not just look at the text book instead of spending $30-60 every 3-4 months?

systemet

Forum Asst. Chief
This is a problem that continues even when you have a job. Depending on how busy your service is, you're going to maintain certain skills just by doing them a lot. But there's always going to be things you will need to revisit periodically to stay competent.

I'm personally facing this right now as well, as I haven't been on an ambulance in 3 years, and am looking at going back into the field next year.

Part of the answer is probably recertifying the alphabet courses, which for you as an EMT, is probably ITLS-basic and CPR. For me, I'm looking at PALS, ACLS, and probably NRP (if I can find my way onto a course), as well. But these aren't even a minimum, they're just things you have to have to get hired.

If you know other people in the field, especially people in clinical education this can be advantageous. If you find someone who's had a lot of students, they may be able to give you some scenario practice. Definitely re-read your textbooks, and class notes.

Maybe you can find somewhere where they'll let you ride along as an observer. This may be a quick route to a job in a smaller service, even if they're not actively hiring. If you make a good impression on a ride-along, they may be interested in having you as a casual staff member.

There's also lots of good resources on-line, just keep to your level of training and scope of practice, unless you're sure you're solid with that. It can be very tempting to start looking at higher level skills, which is fun but not necessarily productive.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Anybody have any advice, guidance? i have been an EMT-B for just a few months and I graduated in Dec of 2009, and i'm worried I will forget what i've learned. I try to study to refresh my memory. i did very well in school, but i'm still looking for a full time job and i'm afraid I'll get rusty. thoughts?

Will you forget something? Absolutely. The best way to combat this is to both look something up when you forget it, and increase your knowledge base. The EMT-B course teaches a variety of skills. If you learn about WHY you're doing those skills, and how the body actually works, it will be more difficult for you to forget things.

I hope this help!

glock22brent

Forum Probie
Why not just look at the text book instead of spending $30-60 every 3-4 months?

oh i dont know, seeing as AHA changes it every day seemingly. (joke)

or maybe because some peoples books could be outdated. I know our book seemed to just skim CPR guidelines. Nowhere did the book cover the 2010 guideline specifics, especially when it came to infants.

maybe because some people learn and relearn better by "seeing and doing" rather than simply "reading"

its like asking "why do rideouts in ems classes when the book has everything you need to know?"

for me, it helps. for you, maybe not. it was simply a suggestion.

JPINFV

Gadfly
There's a slight difference between rideouts during EMT class and taking a CPR class 3-4 times a year.