Why you are in the EMS Field?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Just wanted to clear some things up.

I still have not seen a documentary.

Now I realize I am an adult and education is not what I want right now. I really want to expect the unexpected and have a non-structured day. I want to not know what I will be dealing with next, and I want to have the satisfaction of knowing I tried my best to help a patient get the care they need. I want to become emt-b certified and work in an ambulance. I want to never work a day in my life because being an EMT is not work in my book, it is doing what you love to do, a passion, and if being passionate about something and pursuing it is a job, then I am okay with that. Contrary to what some may believe, I want to be a EMT because that is what I am truly passionate about.

Not to be condescending obviously, but I believe you have not a clue what an EMT really does.

First, an EMT is really a job. Believe me after about 2 weeks, the whistle, lights and sirens gets real old. Actually a basic EMT job can be really pretty routine and dull job. Most aggressive services will only let you drive and at that you will be mainly responsible for moving the patient, cleaning and maintaining the rig and assisting the Paramedic. Yes, it can be fun st times but as also it can be a royal pain in the arse.

No, there is probably not a "true documentary" television show about EMS. Shows would not be very interesting if they televised the "real life" of an EMT. For example transporting the elderly from hospital to a nursing home, responding to car accidents that are only insurance cases and there is really no injuries, yet everyone wants to be transported, as well as the diarrhea, nausea and vomiting, constipation calls. When they do those television shows such as trauma, paramedics, etc.. they stay for about 4-6 weeks to get enough "good stuff" for a 30 minute show. T.V. and reality is not the same. The same as the t.v. show ER. I have worked at some of the busiest Level I trauma centers, and the show ER had more in one episode of real trauma than we seen in 3 weeks. Again, most do not want see or hear about hemorrhoids, poison ivy, toothaches, crotch rot.. etc... Only 10% of EMS patient even warrant an IV, and most of that is CYA.

The same is true they don't show the administrator chewing your crews arse out because some of the EMT's are failed out the paperwork right, or supervisor chewing you out because your partner was laughing at a scene or bumped the stretcher into a door facing...and now the family is griping.

Now, if you do not like education or like going to school, this is NOT the profession for you. I don't know of any state that does not require at least 24 to 36 hours of continuing education and a refresher course, just to keep your certification. This is of course on top of the required usual classes at your service with protocol changes, equipment, and usual B.S. stuff... Education is the main goal of being a good provider.

Not, trying to deter you at all, but so many come in the profession expecting a challenging career, and having exciting occurrences everyday... it doesn't occur that way. Everyone has "passion" when they enter this profession. Unfortunately, this is one of the main reasons so many "burn-out" with unfilled expectations.

Talk and discuss with real Paramedics and EMT's... the good, the bad and the ugly of the business. It has all of those... then make a rationale decision.

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
TinCan - I finially get the name... I think... does it have anything to do with the Proximity Firefighting gear?

Actually, many departments (ours included) have gone back to conventional structural gear, though we do keep our proximity suits (the baked potato wrappers :p ) handy. Since most of our work is more run-of-the-mill MVC's, fire alarms, and so on, we try to use the regular stuff, since proximity suits can run upwards of $1500 per set and don't last long in conventional firefighting use. In regards to my nickname, it's a reference to those long horizontal tin tubes with wings (OK, they're aluminum, whatever...lol) that fly us through the air. I've heard a few references to them as "tin cans" over the years and just thought it would be cool to incorporate it into my nick. (See the movie "Pushing Tin" with John Cusack, Billy Bob, and Angelina to see what I mean.) It's an entirely different world of firefighting, and I feel blessed to be a part of it. 99.99999% percent of the time it's just a regular job, but when the tower calls down with a report of an inbound aircraft with smoke in the cabin and 70 souls on board it does tend to get the old heart thumping a bit. Thanks for giving me a chance to expound a little and feel free to PM if you have any questions. Here's a little trivia for you: did you know that when you are flying at 35,000 feet in shirtsleeve comfort, enjoying your Evian and pretzels, that there is only about 1/8th to 1/4" of aluminum skin between you and temperatures of -70, with 500 MPH winds and nearly no oxygen? Enjoy your flight... :p

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
ever since I was little, I always grew up wanting to be first on the scene. I always grew up watching ER (yes I know it is not fully accurate and is just a tv show)

I think every one of my peers would tell you that they spent nearly every Saturday night at 7:00 in front of the television, watching Johnny and Roy on Emergency! It was pure camp TV, but it literally and figuratively lit the spark in a lot of little boys and girls back then. I still remember the call sign that the Captain always used to acknowledge the calls ("Engine 51 and Squad 51 responding, KMG 365)

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I think every one of my peers would tell you that they spent nearly every Saturday night at 7:00 in front of the television, watching Johnny and Roy on Emergency! It was pure camp TV, but it literally and figuratively lit the spark in a lot of little boys and girls back then. I still remember the call sign that the Captain always used to acknowledge the calls ("Engine 51 and Squad 51 responding, KMG 365)

Hell, I use their call out tones as the ringer on my cell phone for anyone from my FD calling me.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Hell, I use their call out tones as the ringer on my cell phone for anyone from my FD calling me.
I keep on meaning to get that set up!

jeepmedic

Forum Captain

Now your telling your age. :beerchug:

That is what started me and my sister into this field as youngsters it was cool to watch Johnny and Roy go out.

Rampart this squad 51 over

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I along with many others was lured as well into EMS from Johnny and Roy. I was fortunate enough to started in the field, when they were still on t.v. so the good P.R. was helpful.

Funny, how after they quit the show.... the term "ambulance driver" returned for a while. I do remember, when they used to do advertisements for MRL monitors and other EMS equipment for Emergency Magazine and Paramedic International (now called JEMS).

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
The company truck why else?????B)

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
Hey just kidding. This is a rewarding job no matter if you are a Volly or Paid. when some little old lady looks at you and says "thank you so much" there is no other feeling like that in the world.

traumagirl125

Forum Ride Along
[/B]1) What is the certifications do you have?[/B]
VA EMT-B

2) What do you do specifically? (EMT, R.N., etc.)
I volunteer and work as an EMT-B

3) What is the most rewarding thing about your job?
When someone looks at you and says thank you and you realize some people out there do appreciate what you do

4) What are your typical shifts? (hours, days a week)
I normally volunteer 6p-6a friday or sat night...and I work at the hospital well too much...

5) What did you do before you entered the ems field?
Nothing really....my first paid job was at arby's at 16 but I started volunteering before i started working

6) Why, in general, did you choose your path?
I have always had a passion for helping people and always interested in medicine...

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm an EMT-I, been in the game for 20 yrs, i'm on call anywhere from 900-1400 hrs in any given year in a small town in Vermont.

I was first exposed to ems as i lay on the frozen pavement, badly busted up via car/pedestrian , circling the drain. Thinking one is going to check out is rather profound you know, one tends to get mighty needy, and maybe try and latch onto anything that'll keep one around.

I don't know the people who scraped me up, i never did get their names, but they literally beat the grim reaper from taking me that night. So i've always considered my tenure in ems a condition of my parole

Maybe some of you just think of it as a job, go on autopilot, spit out the neumonics in vouge, whatever..... I'd just like to say that you do make an impression out there

Make it a good one!

~S~

emtbuff

Forum Captain
1) What is the certifications do you have?
EMT-B, Rescue Tech., LPN, and EMT Evaluator

I'm a volley EMT currently going to school for RN. I've also spent the summer working at a state park.

Like most its the unknowing of what is going to happen throughout the shift, haveing people who need your help thank you for helping them even if its something minor. And being able to teach the new EMTs

I currently run approx one weekend a month 6a saturday till 6a Monday. And then when additional coverage is needed or if I'm feeling really nice to take an extra shift.

I started EMS senior year of High school so I had a parttime job waitressing for a while and clerk at a store and also CNA work at a local hospital for the past 3 years. But EMS is the thing I've done the longest being about 4 years.

The unknowning of a shift again, and being able to work outside. And having fun when not running calls.

trauma1534

Forum Captain
1) What is the certifications do you have?
EMT-B, VA EMT-EN, CPR/AED, PEPP, AMLS, EVOC
I say that I am EMT-B, because no matter what cert level I reach, I'll always have EMT-B card.
My full time job is at MCV Hospital, where I am a Health Care Tech. My part-time job is for a County EMS agency where I am primary ALS provider on my shift.

Helping people who really need help, and seeing bad patients get better before they get to the ER.

At MCV, I work 4 tens, at my EMS job, I work 12 hour shifts

Worked as office manager for a family business, and I'm a musician

When I was 16, my best friend was killed in a car wreck. I decided then that I wanted to get into EMS so that I could be able to help or atleast say that I tried to help people like her.

I have made it my mission to be the best that I can be at what I do and to always strive to make the best better. I will never know all there is to know about patient care, but I strive to learn all I can from who ever I can, from the First Responders all the way to EMT-P level. I am a big advicate for new providers who want to learn and strive to be the best at what they do. I will always look out for my EMT-B's. They are the future of EMS!

EMTI&RESCUE

Forum Crew Member
1. Emt I 99, 2. Taking time off of ems to help with family member.3. This will sound corney, but I love the feeling you get when you help someone in need. 4. 24 hours on 48 off. 5. I was a rough neck in the oil field, heavy equipment mechanic, and electrician. 6. It took several years but money isnt everything, ya just cant make enough to make you happy, so find that job that will, and my job that makes me the happiest is EMS........and I agree with the last thing you wrote too hahahaha yea right.!!