Why is it that we do what we do again?

FourLoko

Forum Lieutenant
Even "just being the damn chauffeur" as you put it you've got to see the misuse and abuse of our system and all the people that are constantly slipping through the cracks. How do you keep that from getting to you after a while? Or do you just learn stop caring? Or did you perhaps just never cared in the first place?

What gets me is all of the people we pick up and move around that don't ever have family members with them or visiting them. They have no advocate so they get what they get and I'm sure you've encountered this. Then again, I'm the not married, no kids yet type so I might end up like them.

I can't fix any of that so I just do what I can to make their time with me the best it can be even if it's just another short ride to yet another not so great facility.

Last edited by a moderator:

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
I do this because I enjoy it. I initially got into EMS as a senior in high school after seeing a friends dad volunteer on the ambulance and fire dept. I was interested in something healthcare and couldnt stand the thought of spending 2-4 more years in school to be a nurse. EMS appealed in that it was less school and it is an ever changing work enviroment. I go nuts being stuck inside all day. Now I have to spend most of the day inside due to having to use a computer and it gets old. I enjoy being out on the road and seeing my employees in the field and helping them out.

I still love what I do. Even more so now since I can pass on what Ive learned to others and help them excel in their positions. I wont deny this job has it's low points and it can get you down. Find a trusted co-worker or supervisor that you can talk to. Talking can help-even though we try to avoid it. See if your employer has an EAP (Employee Assistance Program) and take advantage of it. A few of my folks have used ours and it helped tremendously.