Why are you late?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
"Me...patient care. You....dollar sign/telephone jockey. Bye-bye".

OP
OP
FourLoko

FourLoko

Forum Lieutenant
Or inmates screaming curses about your purported gender, sexual proclivities, parent's casual and fleeting acquaintance, and personal dress and hygiene with a topping of threatened lawsuit based upon federal civil rights, because you open sick call in their section ten minutes late due to much the same the over the previous six hours?

By case manager, do you mean the case manager at the hospital or SNF or whatever, or someone in your chain of command? ("Case manager" being the person coordinating payment and maybe discharge/transport preps for the pt).

If it is out of your chain of command, file your own complaint back through your boss, especially if it is out of your chain but within your organization. It is not their job to get on your case, they are not your supervisor, right? Anyone jumping your chain to ventilate and bully you needs to be reported; if enough people do it and it is on record (your letters to the boss) it could come in handy later. Remember the phrase "hostile work environment".

Case managers are at the hospitals. Not sure if all hospitals have them but they are high and mighty I think:

Case Manager Job Description:
To provide ongoing support and expertise through comprehensive assessment, planning, implementation and overall evaluation of
individual patient needs. The overall goal of the position is to enhance the quality of patient management and satisfaction, to promote
continuity of care and cost effectiveness through the integrating and functions of case management, utilization review and
management and discharge planning. Has accountability for the care, coordination and discharge planning of all patients. This
position is accountable to the Director of Case Management.

http://www.oceantoocean.net/pdfs/A_Website_-_JOB_Case_Manager.pdf

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
my normal defense of IFT dispatchers: in a perfect world, everyone would be on time, and you would never be delayed. and as an IFT dispatcher who used to work 3-11s and had to clean up the mess left in my lap by the 7-3 guy, I can say we do the best we can. if you are ever given crap by a facility, just have them call your dispatch center or supervisor directly, not worth stressing over it.

as a 911 dispatcher, in an understaffed system, we frequently get callers who want to know what is taking the ambulance so long. my typical response is "two people just got shot on the other end of the city. we have to take care of them first. once I get a unit available, they will be coming to pick you up." usually calms them down, especially when you say exactly what was causing the delay.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I was a case manager. I had no authority over if someone was late or not. As a licensed/sworn nurse, I had an ethical requirement to defend my clients from abuse, an a legal requirement to report it once I suspected it was occurring. Your being late, unless it was due to some sort of prejudice or was repeated and causing a sacrifice in patient care, was none of my business.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
We are very rarely late, the company is all about being on time. That makes my life earlier. Occasionally it happens though and we just try and explain to them where we were earlier and that no one else was available. If they're pissed enough they can call a supervisor. I just take the patient as quickly as possible. Speaking of which, nothing is more infuriating than being b!tched at for being late and then finding that the patient is not even ready yet. Our dispatchers will often call ahead if they know we're delayed so there is rarely a good excuse.