Why are most Paramedics Over Weight??

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
I will admit it: I am over weight (yes, even Obese by the official terms) I am 6'2" and 260. but losing some each week.

My service has access to 2 gyms; we can only use one; and only if we have enough people to be second out crew. The whole thing about having to worry if we have a run puts a cramp in to work out time.

where I work is 85 miles from where I live; I leave at 0445 get home at 1915. makes it hard to want to work out 4 days a week.
In 2 weeks that will change and I will live within walking distance of work, living with a dog that loves to be walked.
Also: living close to work will give me the time and energy to cook better, and eat better foods, and be able to take them to work with me.

I stopped drinking soda 2 weeks ago, feel better, have more energy and I feel like I have cut down on snacks. starting to get the energy back to want to exercise more.

Captn' Tuddle

Forum Crew Member
I guess it depends on where you work. I was talking to a Fire-EMT who works in the city who said he gets about 13-20 calls each day but the station by my place (in the suburbs) only gets 2-3. He also told me that there is less competition for women Fire-EMT/Paramedics because so few of them can meet the physical requirements. Me, being a petite (yet physically fit) woman, is relieved by this but is it true?

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
He also told me that there is less competition for women Fire-EMT/Paramedics because so few of them can meet the physical requirements. Me, being a petite (yet physically fit) woman, is relieved by this but is it true?

Guess it depends on whether your system is into affirmative action. I don't actually know if mine is. The requirements are the exact same for men and women, and way fewer women pass, but I don't know the percentages who get hired. We don't have many female firefighters.

FDNYChick

Forum Probie
it depends on where you work and how long youve been on the job.

i know where i work its very hard to eat right and alot of the time there are more bls calls than als calls so medics sit around mmore often

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Guess it depends on whether your system is into affirmative action. I don't actually know if mine is. The requirements are the exact same for men and women, and way fewer women pass, but I don't know the percentages who get hired. We don't have many female firefighters.

Once upon a time FD's each held their own version of the PAT. It was tough, and if you could do well on it you were able to do the job. Then certain protected classes whined that the PAT was to tough, and biased against them. I don't see how. To do the job, you need to be at a certain level physically. Your fellow brothers and sisters lives depend on it.

Anyway, they got their wish with the CPAT. This test is a joke. Anyone can pass it with proper training. The academy should weed out the weak, though.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I love this show, it parallels my academy experience in many ways. It's freaky how similar they are.

http://www.foxreality.com/theacademy/#/index

Too bad that more places don't hold an EMS academy. My former hosp based employer held a two week orientation which was mostly powerpoints, alphabet card recerts and ride alongs. My former third service employer held a one day (that's 8 whole hours!) of orientation and then it was into the field as a released provider, after a ridiculously quick hiring process (a few weeks).

More of this would be a great thing for the EMS service. For one, it would ensure that all are able to do the job physically. Yearly CPAT type testing ought to be implemented to keep employees from losing their physical conditioning. It would also instill a sense of pride in their chosen profession, and would also instill a sense of accomplishment and seriousness in the profession that is severly lacking today in the absense of high educational standards. Most who are willing to endure a paramilitary style academy should be able to perform well in the field, at least as far as productivity, ethics, and attitude are concerned. The instilattion of core values in the academy certainly can't hurt. It would weed out many of the cretins working across the country currently, as in "Screw this, who do they think they are making me do all this stuff, exercising, yes sir, no sir, marching, and all. I don't wanna do all this work. I'm just doing this for the easy work and quick money. I don't want the job anymore. Let someone else have it".

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
Once upon a time FD's each held their own version of the PAT. It was tough, and if you could do well on it you were able to do the job. Then certain protected classes whined that the PAT was to tough, and biased against them. I don't see how. To do the job, you need to be at a certain level physically. Your fellow brothers and sisters lives depend on it.

Anyway, they got their wish with the CPAT. This test is a joke. Anyone can pass it with proper training. The academy should weed out the weak, though.

I agree. I don't want standards lowered because I'm female. If I can't pass, then I need to train harder or move on.

What did the old PAT look like vs. the CPAT, anyways? It's still widely known as the PAT in my county, and I don't know that my department has changed... I'm still pretty new.

Another department I'm thinking of joining for fire school claims to have always had the toughest PAT in the state. They only accept their own. If they accept my initial application, I should be taking it within the next few months.

reaper

Working Bum
I think this is a great idea! IMO since most police academies require physcial fitness during the academy.......... why can't EMT/Medic school require the same?

When we teach "Physical Fitness in EMS" as part of our regular classes....... we stress the importance of how regular exercise can help ALL EMS providers in the following areas......

Stress Reduction- Because of course........ no one in EMS has stress

Overall Strength- Because back/shoulder injuries NEVER occur in the field....

Increased survival chances when faced with deadly force encounters

Increased Cardio health!

Increased self-esteem..... helps reduce the "Yeah, we hire them by the pound" when people talk about co-workers.

One of my main reasons for staying in shape is.......... I want to be able to play in the yard with my grandkids........ when I have them :)

I have to disagree with this Kip.

Physical fitness is a very important aspect of any job. But, as most push, EMS should be a higher level of education.

You are required to attend PE in grade school. Ems should be college level education and no higher level of education should be requiring physical education, unless that is your major.

We are not in a police or fire academy. We are in an educational class. Where you are paying good money for an education. That extra 2 hours a week could be spent on more lab or lectures.

By the time you get to this level, you should be an adult. Physical fitness is your own personal choice, not something to be forced on you.

One person had it right, it is a personal choice of what school you attend. I would be choosing a school that was more worried about providing a quality education, then my physical fitness.

If you are unfit to preform the duties, that will come out when the you hit the job. It will then be your choice, as an adult, to become physically fit to do the job or fail!

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I agree. I don't want standards lowered because I'm female. If I can't pass, then I need to train harder or move on.

What did the old PAT look like vs. the CPAT, anyways? It's still widely known as the PAT in my county, and I don't know that my department has changed... I'm still pretty new.

Another department I'm thinking of joining for fire school claims to have always had the toughest PAT in the state. They only accept their own. If they accept my initial application, I should be taking it within the next few months.

Each dept had it's own version of the PAT. I've been told that it's more strenuous, although I've only known the CPAT in it's present form. The CPAT is the result of litigation, what is now regarded as a fair physical exam for all types of individuals.

1/4 of my graduating recruit class were female, which is 8 of them. I'd trust maybe five of them to be on the line with me. So, females can definitely do the job if they train properly.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I have to disagree with this Kip.

Physical fitness is a very important aspect of any job. But, as most push, EMS should be a higher level of education.

You are required to attend PE in grade school. Ems should be college level education and no higher level of education should be requiring physical education, unless that is your major.

We are not in a police or fire academy. We are in an educational class. Where you are paying good money for an education. That extra 2 hours a week could be spent on more lab or lectures.

By the time you get to this level, you should be an adult. Physical fitness is your own personal choice, not something to be forced on you.

One person had it right, it is a personal choice of what school you attend. I would be choosing a school that was more worried about providing a quality education, then my physical fitness.

If you are unfit to preform the duties, that will come out when the you hit the job. It will then be your choice, as an adult, to become physically fit to do the job or fail!

You're right, we are adults, but leaving physical fitness as a personal choice hasn't worked out so far, with the prevalence of obesity and frequent injuries that plague our line of work. The Ancient Greeks preached the virtue of a sound mind in a sound body. A little PT to breaks up an otherwise monotonous day, and serves as a constructive outlet for the stress of the class. Some can lose focus being in class all day, and some stress relief can only be beneficial. It would hopefully set the tone for a healthy career as well. Being on the road most of the time, dealing with various stressors including lack of sleep, we need all the help we can get.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Each dept had it's own version of the PAT. I've been told that it's more strenuous, although I've only known the CPAT in it's present form. The CPAT is the result of litigation, what is now regarded as a fair physical exam for all types of individuals.

1/4 of my graduating recruit class were female, which is 8 of them. I'd trust maybe five of them to be on the line with me. So, females can definitely do the job if they train properly.

My thought on fire personnel...any FF has to be capable of pulling the largest man/woman to safety regardless of his/her hormone dominance. Most anyone can pull hose and use a sledge. Few are capable of getting their largest partner out of a burning building independently. Even the CPAT does not sufficiently measure it. If I can pass a CPAT at 47, it ain't hard enough! Dispite the sissy push ups, older test methods were a better physical measurement.

FDNYChick

Forum Probie
FDNY EMS academy makes us do PT in just about any weather unless its unsafe so alot of the new guys are reasonably in shape,its the older guys that arent

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Yo FDNYchick, I once considered working for FDNY EMS after medic school, then I found out how much better things are elsewhere. Where I'm at, Fairfax County, VA it's fire based, and we're unbelieveably hooked up. The cost of living is less than the outer boroughs if you live out past Fairfax, Arlington, Alexandria or the better parts of DC. FF/EMT's start at 48k, medics start at 53,887 plus 4800 for having the medic cert, plus $2/hr to ride as engine medic, and $3/hr to ride the bus as a medic. All in all, it's around 66k/yr for ALS out of the academy. All necessary CME's for recert are given ON DUTY! FF's get annual 5% step increases plus COLA's up to step 11, with plenty of room for promotions.

It's not exciting as working in the city, but you'll get tired of sitting on street corners, getting harrassed by conditions bosses, frequent mandations, and struggling to afford the finer things in life. We work 24's 10 days a month, and have legit gyms, beds, showers, day rooms, kitchens and all at our stations. We get three four day breaks monthly. If it isn't for you, spread the word to others. I'm only about five hours out from Queens. You could keep a per diem gig at a hospital if you miss NYC 911. Just something to think about.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape

Thanks! Given that most stations around me all mostly have different tests, I think it's safe to say that they haven't switched over from their old PATs.

The whole "fair exam" thing has always been a bit confusing to me. Some people are naturally taller, stronger, have more lung capacity, or whatever than others. Everyone can train, but some people will always have to train harder than others, and some others just can't make it even with tons of training. The only way of making a test fair that I can see is to make all items directly relevant to the job... and every PAT I've seen meets that. They just have different times, different stations, or a different number of stations.

Depending on which station we're talking about, whether I'd trust my possible future crew members to have my back really depends. At one, everyone is really fit, but some are rather immature, and I wouldn't trust several to resist the temptation of playing a hero. At another... well, I generally agree that you should be able to get your largest crew member out, but I think there are bigger problems if he's approaching obesity.

Buzz

Forum Captain
If someone is in a paramedic program, it's a pretty safe bet to say they are preparing themselves to become a paramedic. Yes, there should be a higher emphasis on education regardless of whether or not physical fitness is included in that, but to look down on a program because they are taking a progressive stance is just stupid.

You're attending the program in preparation to do a specific job. Your education is important, but what good is that education if you aren't able to physically perform the job?

Shieldheart

Forum Probie
In my college, paramedic candidates are required to pass a 1.8 km (~1.2 mile) run in under 11 minutes. At the same time, we are taught that paramedics never ever run while on the job. It seems a little inconsistent doesn't it?

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks! Given that most stations around me all mostly have different tests, I think it's safe to say that they haven't switched over from their old PATs.

The whole "fair exam" thing has always been a bit confusing to me. Some people are naturally taller, stronger, have more lung capacity, or whatever than others. Everyone can train, but some people will always have to train harder than others, and some others just can't make it even with tons of training. The only way of making a test fair that I can see is to make all items directly relevant to the job... and every PAT I've seen meets that. They just have different times, different stations, or a different number of stations.

Depending on which station we're talking about, whether I'd trust my possible future crew members to have my back really depends. At one, everyone is really fit, but some are rather immature, and I wouldn't trust several to resist the temptation of playing a hero. At another... well, I generally agree that you should be able to get your largest crew member out, but I think there are bigger problems if he's approaching obesity.

Kinda gets down to personal responsibility...as always. For colleges, it's about generating tuition. They could not care less probably. Adults shouldn't have to be told to stop filling our chops full-o-chops! :p

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I call it the "Paragut"

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
In my college, paramedic candidates are required to pass a 1.8 km (~1.2 mile) run in under 11 minutes. At the same time, we are taught that paramedics never ever run while on the job. It seems a little inconsistent doesn't it?

It does, but I think 1.5 miles in 11 minutes is pretty fair.