Whos more susceptible to the cold? Infants or elderly people?

CobraIV

Forum Crew Member
My friend is in nursing school to be an RN. We were talking and got on the topic of hypothermia. I remember from my emt class both infants and elderly have a tendency to be susceptible to the cold. I thought infrants have more of a chance to have hypothermia since they take up less space with there small bodies. She started telling me elderly are more susceptible to hypothermia since some elderly folks are on coumadin that thin out there blood. Regardless of what I know she claims shes right. My question is whos more susceptible to the cold? Infants or Elderly people?

Thanks

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
She started telling me elderly are more susceptible to hypothermia since some elderly folks are on coumadin that thin out there blood.

LOL! How far into nursing school is your friend?!

OP
OP
CobraIV

CobraIV

Forum Crew Member
far enough to think she knows it all, i take that back shes really not my friend shes my friends girlfriend.

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
My 2 cents....

Old people shouldn't get the cold more often because they've been around for a long time (though their systems may be weakened because of their age)

Infants put everything in their mouths and god knows where its been...

I'd put my money on infants... but I wouldn't put elderly behind by much

JPINFV

Gadfly
She started telling me elderly are more susceptible to hypothermia since some elderly folks are on coumadin that thin out there blood.

db85d__banghead.gif

Anticoagulants don't work like that.

In terms of thermoregulation, infants sleep more and have a larger surface area to mass ratio, whereas elderly patients tend to lose body mass and have thinner skin.

In terms of the common cold, both have immune function issues (which, for infants, is one of the benefits of breast milk over formula).

For either thermoregulation or the common cold, I'm not sure which population as a whole is affected more.

Last edited by a moderator:

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic

Ahh yes, the relatively unknown side effect of blood thinners! :rofl:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
"IF a lion an a alligator got in a fight who'd win?"

Babies are potentially more susceptible to cold because to the surface area versus cubic volume laws, but you have to treat each individual separately because of individual responses to cold.

It isn't anti-coagulation but anemia/iron deficiency that make one feel colder.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Lil guys. Surface area vs mass like other people have said.

Old people aren't far behind.

Both are more susceptible to illness than adults.

BrushBunny91

Forum Lieutenant
My experience tells me infants cause old people can put a sweater on, or ask someone to help them put one on. Throw a couple of warming pads in there too.

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
Depends on the individual patient and the situation.
But the elderly are more likley to suffer from urban hypothermia without realizing it (where they slip into hyperthermia-induced lethargy while sitting in their own unheated living room).
Kids have a properly functioning nervous system and will recognize that they are cold, so hypothermia would likely only be an issue if they have no clothing to put on or are too young to care for themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
...so we put a baby and an old guy into a freezer and start the clock...

what would be the selection criteria?

I suspect there are just too many variables to make a general call on this.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
From a logical stand point, infants are at more risk, for the simple fact that they can not voice that they are cold, whereas that is sometimes the ONLY complaint the elderly voice (and voice often...)

Now when you start talking about dementia and Alzheimer's, and other degenerative conditions of the brain, I would put them at about the same level as infants, or even potentially more at risk, because the general instinct is to cover and wrap infants (too much sometimes), whereas the elderly are often left to their own devices. It is not unlikely, in fact maybe even a commonality, to find an elderly person with dementia who has wandered out into the cold without a coat, or falls on the way to the mailbox, only to be discovered hours later.

Just from a patho stand point though, infants have a higher risk for hypothermia. As has already been pointed out, they have a higher BSA to mass ration, and lose heat almost insensibly when left uncovered. The nervous systems of infants are less developed too, making their ability to shiver or use other muscular methods of generating heat minimal.

I have been to referrals to transfer infants who have been left exposed on a hospital bed or in an ohio warmer that was not turned on, and witnessed core temps of 95 or 96 before. It is not that hard to do. Keep those babies covered! Unless they have a fever, in which case, a normal layer of clothing appropriate for the season is good enough.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
Infants for sure. They lack adequate thermoregulation and cannot communicate to others their discomfort. Also, infants have a much smaller temp range before they start becoming symptomatic.

Rural EMT

Forum Ride Along
Would also go with infants/Neonates as having the higher risk factor, as said previously they are unable to adequately self regulate body temperature (by means of philoerection/shivering/voicing there discomfort etc.) The larger head to body ratio in comparison to that of an adult is also a factor that may rapidly lead to Hypothermia.

With all this said and done i would not discount the seriousnes of a hypothermic geriatric patient (other med Hx aside) .

I'm interested to know of your treatment plan for a Hypothermic patient?
Do you also use warm ( use that word hesitantly ) fluids to centrally warm or just blankets and other warming products?

Here in SA things seem bit different to the rest of the world!:p

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
She started telling me elderly are more susceptible to hypothermia since some elderly folks are on coumadin that thin out there blood
536381800448e62c69376f.gif

Please don't assist her in breeding. We have enough morons on this planet as it is. In fact, you get the chloroform, I'll bring my pocketknife and some sterilized fishing line and we'll tie her tubes.

To actually answer the question, it would depend on the makeup of each person (BMI, body fat percentage, etc), their given metabolic condition and any underlying medical conditions that might be present. You really can't say that one is more prone to hypothermia, just that both groups are prone more so than an average middle-aged person.