Who Knows About Grady EMS??

wannabeliketv

Forum Ride Along
I know Grady EMS does the 911 in Atlanta and Atlanta Fire Rescue has ALS engines. My question is how is the relationship between Grady and Atlanta fire? on ALS calls who is in charge Fire or Grady? In some communities in my area that have hospital based ambulances, the fire department usually arrives on scene first does the interventions then tells the ambulance to transport and if the ALS fire unit feels the patient may deteriorate they ride in the ambulance with the paramedics and run the call all the way to the hospital. Is the Grady and AFRD relationship anything like that?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Are you wannabehfd?

Just curious... I really have nothing to contribute to this thread... :p

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Pardon me, but we are all over here with an answer to your question

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
I know Grady EMS does the 911 in Atlanta and Atlanta Fire Rescue has ALS engines. My question is how is the relationship between Grady and Atlanta fire? on ALS calls who is in charge Fire or Grady? In some communities in my area that have hospital based ambulances, the fire department usually arrives on scene first does the interventions then tells the ambulance to transport and if the ALS fire unit feels the patient may deteriorate they ride in the ambulance with the paramedics and run the call all the way to the hospital. Is the Grady and AFRD relationship anything like that?

I know theirs the other thread but I don't think it directly answers your question. As you know Atlanta Fire(AFD from now on) runs ALS engines, and as you know Grady runs ALS ambulances. If AFD shows up on scene first, they assess the pt and do any interventions they feel is required and as Grady arrives, Grady takes over. They are the transporting unit, not AFD. AFD does ride in on certain calls(cardiac arrest, etc.) but at the request of Grady, and sometimes they just know they need help so they hop in the truck and other times they ask the Grady crew if they want someone to ride in with them. AFD doesn't tell Grady to transport a pt. The Grady crew does a pt assessment and decides if the pt does or doesn't aswell as whether the pt even wants to go to the hospital.

OP
OP
W

wannabeliketv

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the info emt11. You seem to know what your talking about. While your on the line is Grady a progressive system, do the have a lot of standing orders or do you have to call medical control for a lot of stuff?

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks for the info emt11. You seem to know what your talking about. While your on the line is Grady a progressive system, do the have a lot of standing orders or do you have to call medical control for a lot of stuff?

As far as I know they have decent standing orders, though their are some things that they do have to call in for, whether they get permission to do what they called in for is a different issue. Part of that deals with whether the Dr your requesting the order from knows if your a compentent medic. 99% of what we do as EMT's here in GA we don't have to call in for.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
No RSI at Grady. That took it off my consideration list back when I was looking.

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
Only flight crews can RSI in Georgia.

I have heard something about the state EMS office "thinking" about giving it to all medics. Then of course it's up to the services MD.

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
does grady do call STEMI in the field?

Hmm, I'm sure that they do. But I'll have to get ahold of a friend that works at Grady to get a real answer. It might take a few days.