which school to go to?

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I am currently applying to Rockland Communty College's paramedic program (RCC) in Suffern, NY and St. Vincent's Catholic Medical Center's in NYC (SVCMC). I don't know which one to go to.

I live in Rockland County so driving to RCC is easy. It starts 8/20/07 and goes to 8/08. Class is 3 days a week, 4 hours a night. Rotations are spread out from the Bronx to Ulster County (upstate NY) with the hospital rotations in local trauma IIs. This is where I took my EMT class. A former FDNY academy teacher was brought in this year to upgrade the program.

SVCMC is in Manhattan. It starts 9/20 and has classes 4 days a week. It goes until 8/08. Its a city school. I would have to commute into the city for class 4 days a week plus rotations. All rotations are done at St. Vincent's of course which is a city Trauma I ER and with their own ALS ambulances. St Vincent's is in downtown Manhattan in the vicinty of NYU where I went to college. It was also the major receiving hospital on 9/11. All hospitals were used but it was the closest trauma center. The instructor is someone I have known for years...since 1995. He mad experienced if I say that. He has been a NYC medic as well as the suburbs where I live. He knows his stuff and is a great teacher.

The SVCMC costs more plus commute charges. Ill be driving in some days and using mass transit on others. Plus Bloomberg is threatening a congestion tax.

RedZone

Forum Lieutenant
I am currently applying to Rockland Communty College's paramedic program (RCC) in Suffern, NY and St. Vincent's Catholic Medical Center's in NYC (SVCMC). I don't know which one to go to.

I live in Rockland County so driving to RCC is easy. It starts 8/20/07 and goes to 8/08. Class is 3 days a week, 4 hours a night. Rotations are spread out from the Bronx to Ulster County (upstate NY) with the hospital rotations in local trauma IIs. This is where I took my EMT class. A former FDNY academy teacher was brought in this year to upgrade the program.

SVCMC is in Manhattan. It starts 9/20 and has classes 4 days a week. It goes until 8/08. Its a city school. I would have to commute into the city for class 4 days a week plus rotations. All rotations are done at St. Vincent's of course which is a city Trauma I ER and with their own ALS ambulances. St Vincent's is in downtown Manhattan in the vicinty of NYU where I went to college. It was also the major receiving hospital on 9/11. All hospitals were used but it was the closest trauma center. The instructor is someone I have known for years...since 1995. He mad experienced if I say that. He has been a NYC medic as well as the suburbs where I live. He knows his stuff and is a great teacher.

The SVCMC costs more plus commute charges. Ill be driving in some days and using mass transit on others. Plus Bloomberg is threatening a congestion tax.

This is what I gather from your post:

You realize that Rockland makes sense for many reasons, but you seem to want someone to convince you to choose St. Vincent's. I sent you more info by PM.

Commuting to NYC: Definitely expensive. If class is in evening then you may be able to park on the street for free. Also ask instructor about parking. Mass transit is highly recommended, especially to downtown... but if class gets out late at night you may not have such a great experience commuting home everyday.

BEST BET: Find someone to commute with or room with. Depending on your family and present living situation.... rooming with 2 or 3 students might give you the best NYC experience possible... But you went to NYU so you should know that. Maybe a good EMT friend of yours is thinking about applying to medic school? If not, you very well may find someone in class that isn't too far from you. If accepted, tell your instructor to put you in contact with other students that live near you.

Bloomberg's commuter tax: I believe will (if it ever happens) affect morning rush. Class may be in the evening.

>>All rotations are done at St. Vincent's of course which is a city Trauma I ER and with their own ALS ambulances

Are you SURE of this? Some courses affiliate with other hospitals for precepting purposes. If CMC isn't teaching medic programs anymore (I don't know if they are), then Mary Immaculate (Jamaica, Level 1 Trauma) and St. John's on Queens Blvd are SVCMC hospitals that both run ALS 911 ambulances.

>>The instructor is someone I have known for years...since 1995. He mad experienced if I say that. He has been a NYC medic as well as the suburbs where I live. He knows his stuff and is a great teacher.

I'll stress looking for a great teacher over everything else (although complete inexperience would be a problem). Get opinions from those that have been past students... not coworkers!

OP
OP
firecoins

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I am reasonably sure that all the rotations are with Manhattan's SVCMC. At least this what I have been led to believe by someone going through the program as we speak.

http://www.svhiec.org/dev//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1&Itemid=12

I guess your right. I guess I am looking for confirmation that St. Vincent's is right because I sort of am at RCC. So many people rave about St Vincent's for some reason.

RedZone

Forum Lieutenant
I am reasonably sure that all the rotations are with Manhattan's SVCMC. At least this what I have been led to believe by someone going through the program as we speak.

I guess your right. I guess I am looking for confirmation that St. Vincent's is right because I sort of am at RCC. So many people rave about St Vincent's for some reason.

#1 You are probably right. SVCMC is a merger betweeen the SV and the CMC part of it. Both had their own academic programs for nursing, PA, medic, etc. From what I understood... both sides fought against merging the academic programs.

#2 Sorry, I can't make choices easier. Use common sense, weigh out pros and cons... decide what you really want, and how it is best to achieve that.

Good luck!

OP
OP
firecoins

firecoins

IFT Puppet
The commute to NYC is not bad timewise but just expensive these days.

I have been in St. Vincent's ER as a patient. Would love to get an opportunity to do rotations there. I just figure I will see alot more than Rockland or upstate.

Some people for unknown reasons say SVCMC is better.

Some have said SVCMC at one point was bad due to personnel several years ago. Some have said the same about RCC also in the past.

I have no doubt the RCC program classes are sufficient with good instructors. I work with one now who is good. I can take other classes at RCC like science classes that would give better understanding.

Last edited by a moderator:

RedZone

Forum Lieutenant
The commute to NYC is not bad timewise but just expensive these days.

I have been in St. Vincent's ER as a patient. Would love to get an opportunity to do rotations there. I just figure I will see alot more than Rockland or upstate.

Some people for unknown reasons say SVCMC is better.

Some have said SVCMC at one point was bad due to personnel several years ago. Some have said the same about RCC also in the past.

I have no doubt the RCC program classes are sufficient with good instructors. I work with one now who is good. I can take other classes at RCC like science classes that would give better understanding.

You can also get a per-diem job at a hospital in NYC as an EMT if you simply desire the "NYC EMS experience." If that is your burning desire, your RCC instructor should have the contacts to arrange "observer tours" or advise you who to contact.

As far as medic classes: The CIC makes the program. That's why the last C stands for coordinator.

St. Vinny's is one of the most well known and longest running (apart from the CUNY programs). Some of the medics and EMTs in the EMS dept. are VERY experienced (at least the last I heard). You will learn to be a cocky *******, but that's important. Just don't cross into arrogance since it's a fine line.

CMC may possibly be defucnt now. That's where I did my program, but back when Marty Cassarona was the CIC (and an awesome one). When he left, it slowly fell apart due to several dynamics. (SV & CMC were separate organizations up until maybe 8 years ago).

Methodist is new, but I told you I have good feelings about Carol Ong. She doesn't teach every program though since they run programs simultaneously

RedZone

Forum Lieutenant
Ok, now you have one more. And if this "being close to 9/11" sensation is important... well, I pissed in BMCC's toilet on 9/12.

So, I hope your decision got easier!

Instead of RCC v SV......

College Path:
Pros: More financial aid available for undergraduate studies, use of all university resources, graduate with a degree from an accredited institution (or at least transferrable credits)
Cons: May be more competitive, pre-requisites required (although this is a good thing in my opinion) will lengthen the total duration of study.

- RCC (Uhm, you're already enrolled, right?)
- LaGuardia (CUNY)
- BMCC (CUNY)

Private academies:
Pros: Lax admission criteria, shorter duration programs due to lack of pre-requisites.
Cons: You don't receive transferrable college credits, expensive and tuition may be due up front. Financial aid and educational loans may not be available.

- Methodist (It's called something like Emergency Care & Training Institute and it's in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn. If you need contact info, pm me, I have it somewhere)
- St. Vincent's

The quality of the instruction depends on the CIC's ability to coordinate the program, regardless of "academy vs college".
The quality of the "experience" may differ depending on clinical rotation sites... but this also depends on the preceptors too.... usually pot luck since there is no qualification to be a preceptor.

I'd actually prefer a variety of sites as opposed to just west side Manhattan between SoHo and Midtown. Every area in NYC is unique, and a variety of sites allows you to see how different departments adapt to this uniqueness.

Another thing: medic school is going to consume a great deal of your time. A 4 day a week / 1 yr program means you're going 16 hours a week for the first month and gradually work in 16 to 24 ADDITIONAL hours a week for clinicals. If you need to maintain job and family responsibilities as well.... commuting time will be a factor to consider!

Actual time spent in class and on clinicals: 32-40 Hours Per Week!!!

Like I said in my last post... if ALL you desire is NYC experience, go start handing out resumes to hospital EMS departments in NYC. If the RCC instructor is your friend, as well as a good teacher, he'll help you make arrangements to do observation tours at various sites in the city as long as you show him that you are motivated. Whether or not you get credit for it is up to him.

OP
OP
firecoins

firecoins

IFT Puppet
the whole 9/11 thing is nonsense. I am a life long NY/NJ guy. Just explaining where this hospital was in relation to things.

I liven in Manhattan for 4 years so I know many neiborhoods in Manhattan Brooklyn and Queens.

I don't know that GPA is a factor.

Riding in NYC an an EMT-B is a good idea. Any good employers other than FDNY?

I am single. Family doesn't need me around.

RedZone

Forum Lieutenant
the whole 9/11 thing is nonsense. I am a life long NY/NJ guy. Just explaining where this hospital was in relation to things.

I liven in Manhattan for 4 years so I know many neiborhoods in Manhattan Brooklyn and Queens.

I don't know that GPA is a factor.

Riding in NYC an an EMT-B is a good idea. Any good employers other than FDNY?

I am single. Family doesn't need me around.

Well, I gave you the option about rooming already. Honestly, you can possibly come up with some crazy scheme for a "medic class party/study pad" and convince people to chip in. Large studio, 30 ppl split (get them signed on b4 they start dropping!).

Let me stop... lack of sleep last nite!

Good employers??? I'd say do this: print up a bunch of resumes and put them into a plastic folder to protect them

On a day off, go to Manhattan and stop at every EMS department.

THE SECRET IS THE RESUME MUST GET TO THE DEPARTMENT DIRECTOR

That big human resources office with the nice carpet and computers and separate cubicles.... it's an illusion! It's really a trash can.

When done, go to Brooklyn, Queens, wherever you're willing to work per-diem.

Honestly man, don't take this the wrong way.... I get the feeling as if you KNOW what to do, but you procrastinate by way of seeking too many minute details before even BEGINNING the task!

Don't spend too much time learning how to do! You don't actually learn until you do!

OP
OP
firecoins

firecoins

IFT Puppet
got a list of possible employers. Also didn't realize Central Park had a volunteer squad.

I will 99% choose St. Vincent by Friday. I interviewed for them today and if I am "accepted" its where I am going. I made this decision because I want to work in NYC and they prepare you for the NYC Remac. Also several teachers hire for NYC agencies. I like that rotations are for the most part 24/7 and you are treated like an employee of the hospital on them.

RCC is a good fall back. After doing some research it does have a good rep. The rotations are all over the place and are not 24/7. Some are in the Bronx so I would get some "NYC" experience. You are a "guest" on rotations in the hospital and most ambulance time are in a suburban environment in which you may not get alot of patient care.

OP
OP
firecoins

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I am going to St. Vincent's for sure now. Just accepted.