Which portable BP cuff do you prefer?

leftysoftball

Forum Probie
I need to get a cuff for school and wanted to get some advice. Nothing helpful in the search results.
Thanks

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
For school? This ->
02_sg3000new.jpg

A standard, Adult sized sphig should be fairly inexpensive. The one shown is listed for just under $16. Basically though, something along those lines. As long as you take care of it, it'll do it's job for a long time. Learn how to use a manual sphig well, and if you "upgrade" to an automatic system, you'll know how to do it, and should that fail (and they DO fail), you will be ready to go with the manual method.

Even when I did have the NIBP available, I always did the first BP manually and compared the two.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Hallmarks to look for:

1. Cuff and bladder assembly: two-tube bladder with at least eight inches for the gauge tube and a foot for the inflator tube. They are interchangeable. I have never seen a reaction to a latex BP cuff, but many have switched to silicone; you will not be able to replace the blader in one of those. The Velcro on them seems to be pretty weak as well, for some reason and also cannot be replaced. Do not buy a cuff with a metal double-back bar unless you are only using it on yourself. Buy an adut medium cuff; with detachable gauge, you can get additional-sized cuffs without additional gauges.
2. Do not buy a gauge attached to the inflator. Handy, but more expensive and prone to damage, harder to fix. You would need a single tube bladder then anyway.
3. Do not buy the Welch Allyn cuffs where the gauge plugs right into the cuff. Despite their assurances, the gauges are more prone to being knocked out of calibration and they cannot be fixed.

Inspect used ones for stiffness or cracks in the tubing, fluffy velcro; make sure when at rest the gauge needle lies in the little square at the bottom of the gauge. No square? No sale.

In other words, like Akulahawk said.

Last edited by a moderator: