Which Littmann to choose

Steveb

Forum Lieutenant
I also Have the Littman Classic S.E II and love it.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
I have a Littmann Master Classic and an Ultrascope. I feel the Ultrascope is much better at picking up sounds through clothing (I work IFT, so I don't always have a good reason to strip my patients down, and the old ones get cold easily), but in a hospital environment I think I would be able to use both about equally well. Nurses and docs in the hospital don't appreciate the quiet environment as much as they should.

Miscusi

Forum Lieutenant
I have seen that littmann has a very nice Lightweight 2 SE, specially shaped for doing vitals and is suited for the basic things EMTs do... only $45 bucks most places ! . I have a select, and a classic 2 se.

Steveb

Forum Lieutenant
I have seen that littmann has a very nice Lightweight 2 SE, specially shaped for doing vitals and is suited for the basic things EMTs do... only $45 bucks most places ! . I have a select, and a classic 2 se.
I have heard that the lightweights don't generally have good sound compared to the others.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I have heard that the lightweights don't generally have good sound compared to the others.

Lightweight was my first littmann before my classic and ultrascope.

Heard fine. I liked the bell shape.

Miscusi

Forum Lieutenant
To be honest, I have not tried the lightweight 2 se, but I do have a select which is the same price point and rating. I think the select's sound isnt as good as my classic, but it is still tons better than any cheap-o scope I have ever come across, that includes that dual-user one in use for our state practicals last week, to the disposable ones down over in downtown beekman. All of them I can hear emt level sounds, but the littmanns are by far the nicest. I love their soft ear tips.

Bandit55

Forum Ride Along
Miscusi landed on a good point, it's all about the ear buds. Listen, pun intended, you could spend crazy money on super cool ultra master cardio...blah blah, but if you don't know how to use it correctly what good is it. Try and find a scope with a decent tube dia whether its a split sprague or other, stiff but movable binaurals (metal parts), the head is up to you (dbl bell for hi/lo, single pressure sensitive (cuz u can easily manipulate that in the back of the bus, not), but you MUST have supple, pliable ear buds that will form fit to occlude extraneous ambient noise. The most important part of all of this, is YOU. You can't tell bad until you know good, so auscultate everyone.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Has anyone thought of making they're on electric stethoscope with a "spy ear" type thing and ear buds?

Miscusi

Forum Lieutenant
I ALSO have a Mabis Signature Stainless Steel Scope, and a Sprague type LEGACY by Mabis. The Signature SS looks very much like the Classic 2 SE. IIRC, Littmann and Mabis are both made under the company MABIS-DHI under Briggs Healthcare.

my point is that the SS Signature also features soft tip earbuds, and they look extremely similar, but they feel different in the ears. The littmann buds are softer and more conforming, though the SS Sig buds are good also.

Both my Select and Classic 2se have the same comfortable buds. The legacy sprague scope have hard tips (eww)

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
I went from a littmann cardiology III (i legit lost it, wasnt stolen) to an ADC 601 Cardiology. Its half the price of the littmann scope and the same quality construction. And mine is bright magenta pink, which gets a lot of comments from my co-workers, but it goes with my hot pink shears. Granted im a 6'4 guy, but no one will steal it

Miscusi

Forum Lieutenant
mine is bright magenta pink, which gets a lot of comments from my co-workers, but it goes with my hot pink shears.

I think the person who comes up with rainbow striped scopes and shears will be the next millionare !

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
Litman Classic II Works amazing in the truck.