Which is better

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
Which is better to take paramedic training civilian schools or the military.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Depends upon where you want to work and focus upon. Civilian tends to go into a more broad and in depth detail for conditions such as medical, etc. Where as military is focused (of course) on trauma with exceptions that they can perform procedures that are not always allowed in civilian world.

R/r 911

BEorP

Forum Captain
If we're talking about Canada then I would argue that civilian education is often superior, at least in Ontario. I have heard that the military puts all their med techs through JIBC's PCP program which is just four months. In addition, they are much more focused on the clinical side of things since that is where many med techs will end up working. If you're looking to be a military medic then they will train you just fine for that. If you're looking to be a civilian medic go to school on your own.

emtashleyb

Forum Crew Member
I would honestly say civillian. Some things the military does is different than in the civillian world. Not to mention just from taking the combat lifesaver course alot of the things the military does or uses is ALOT different than the civillian world. I dont know if this will help you or not but my dad was a corpsman in the navy (this was way back in the 70's & 80's) and he said its so much different when you get into the civillian world. When he got out he went into nursing at first and none of his certification rolled over into the civillian world. So he decided to go paramedic and they are both very different worlds. Not to mention a military paramedic may not roll over. I know if your in the coast guard your nursing certification will because they are homeland security not DoD.

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
I would honestly say civillian. Some things the military does is different than in the civillian world. Not to mention just from taking the combat lifesaver course alot of the things the military does or uses is ALOT different than the civillian world. I dont know if this will help you or not but my dad was a corpsman in the navy (this was way back in the 70's & 80's) and he said its so much different when you get into the civillian world. When he got out he went into nursing at first and none of his certification rolled over into the civillian world. So he decided to go paramedic and they are both very different worlds. Not to mention a military paramedic may not roll over. I know if your in the coast guard your nursing certification will because they are homeland security not DoD.

As far as the USAF goes, the EMT and paramedic classes taught at the NREMT level, and they have to take and pass the NREMT practical and written tests. They absolutely do carry over to the civilian side. In addition, the DoD's PA school has been named one of the top 5 in the country. The military's medical training is constantly evolving and improving to match its civilian counterparts.

Another difference that hasn't been mentioned is the time requirements. The Air Force's paramedic class is given over 26 weeks - 8 hours a day, 5 days a week - 7 of those weeks are doing clinicals with the fire department and hospital near Kirtland AFB (which is in Albuquerque, NM). The instructors are also military members who have field experience. While most of the experience is traumatic calls, USAF PJ's have been on numerous humanitarian missions where they treat patients in dire conditions, and are expected to provide care in accordance with the national paramedic standards.

I can't speak for the other military services, however...but I do know that the Navy Corpsman school and the USAF IDMT courses don't have civilian equivalents, and don't translate well into the civilian side.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Do realize that the original post is written by a Canadian. I say this because The US and Canadian military may be totally different in how they relate into their respective civilian counterparts. I have never been in the military and likewise only know what I have read on the subject.

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
Well I just had a look at the Justice Institute of B.C. 's PCP info. I am disappointed that it is shorter than what is offered here on the east coast. Longer is not necessarily better but I believe it is a step in the right direction. I know the military has a contract with them to train all their medics to PCP standard.

I think if a person wants to be a civilian medic then it is best to go to a civilian school. The military will have a length of service contract that goes with them footing the bill for your training. If you don't want to be in the military then pay for the program yourself.

No matter where you go it pays to do research on the school offering the program. Then you can make an informed decision on where you are likely to get the best education.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Apples and mangoes.

You don't join the military to attend medical school.
(Well, I guess I misguidedly went in to become a paramedic, but stayed for 22 years).:blush:
You go into the military to become a soldier/sailor/airman, serve your country, and maybe because its a terrible job market out there and your gov will take care of you while you do it's bidding. if you are going into it just to get EMS training, think about it twice. Gladto discuss it with you anytime, and others here will also.

(PS: Go AIRFORCE!).:rolleyes:

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
In the U.S. many of our practices as EMT's and Paramedics come from the military. The military see's a void in their treatment and finds a way to fill it, their new method is proven to work very well, then a couple years later the civilian field picks up on it and some company makes millions claiming they invented a new miracle treatment.

That said it depends what type of job you want and what country and/or branch of the military you're talking. I'm not 100% positive on this but I believe the US Army combat medics are only certified to the NREMT-B level however they do have much more training than most paramedics. The NREMT-B focuses mostly on trauma as does the military where NREMT-P focuses a large part on medical which the military doesn't use much that's why they don't certify to that level as it would add more training that they won't use. If you want to work as a civilian go to a civilian school so you have that medical training. If you want to work in the military get your training there as no other school will come close to their level of trauma training.

mycrofft

Do BOTH

Get your civilian traiing, then join your military reserve. Look into it first. I was able to skip then last third of USAF Fire Rescue School (1978) by having my Nebraska EMT-Ambulance certificate with me.
Seriously, don't go into the military unless you mean THAT. They can reassign you as mission requires.

mbcwgrl

Forum Probie
I have a friend that got his civilian EMT - basic but then joined the military. He is allowed with very little military training to do procedures that basics in civilian life are not allowed to do. That was a pretty good way of doing things on his part. But a little shocking too!

tydek07

Forum Captain
I have only gone to civilian, but it all depends where you plan on using your skills. If you are going to use them in the military, then get military training.

The military focuses more on things that you will see at war, aka. truama truama truama. Granted you will also learn about medical emergencies, but probably will not go as in depth then civilian courses would.

mycrofft

Sidebar: Ironic since historically 80% of theater-related casualties...

...are not battle-related, but related to illness, accidents other than "friendly fire" (a misnomer), and suicide.