Which is better taking EMT training at a actual ambulance facility or taking a EMT course in college?

2degrees

Forum Probie
Hey guys I just found a EMT training for $1000 at an ambulance facility. It doesn't require all the paperwork such as shots and other things as does the junior college and it's cheaper than junior college. Is it better to pay more for my education or is it the same type of education at either location? Thank you for your help. I'm just trying to weigh my options.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Hey guys I just found a EMT training for $1000 at an ambulance facility. It doesn't require all the paperwork such as shots and other things as does the junior college and it's cheaper than junior college. Is it better to pay more for my education or is it the same type of education at either location? Thank you for your help. I'm just trying to weigh my options.
It's highly dependent on the individual program.

I'd be inclined to take an EMT course where it's convenient for you, and pursue a paramedic program at a highly reputable program/community college.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Depending on where you live, you may be able to get your EMT training for free through a volunteer fire or EMS agency.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
whaatt ! are you serious? I'm located in south suburbs of illinois
Serious? Nah, I couldn't think of anything else to do today except joke around with you.

Y'all have some law against volunteering in southern Illinois?

OP
OP
2degrees

2degrees

Forum Probie
Serious? Nah, I couldn't think of anything else to do today except joke around with you.

Y'all have some law against volunteering in southern Illinois?
dag you didn't have to be so sarcastic. i volunteer all the time but i called around and no one said anything about free EMS training.

FlorianFred

Forum Probie
I would ask around -- current EMTs -- and find out where they went and how they felt about the program, especially since they are now putting their knowledge to use. Around here there are not many options....and most folks have a very strong opinion based on their experience and the experiences they hear from others.

I will say -- and this is definitely JUST my opinion -- the experience of becoming an EMT (learning, understanding and applying the material) is largely (and by that, I mean almost exclusively) up to you. I have taken EMS training and courses from 3 different instructors who represented 3 different providers (ambulance, volunteer fire, and state fire academy) -- all instructors were experienced Paramedics, and each had their own inimitable teaching style. In the end, what I got from the course was truly what I put into it. I didn't love every educational experience, and it has inspired me to pursue becoming an EMS educator, but honestly, no matter how great of an instructor I think I'll be, I'm sure my students will only "get" what they "take".

The TLDR (probably should have put this at the top) -- folks are suggesting convenient locations and economical options because they know that it's not the "source of the water," but rather how "thirsty and creative of a drinker" you are.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
My old fire department in Indianapolis paid my way through basic class, and I had to give them 2 years, at 96 hours a month. Anyway I wanted to work it: 2 -- 6 hour shifts during the day and 1 -- 12 hour shift at night: 0700-1300, 1300-1900, or 1900-0700. Back when they were all volunteer
Then when they went combination (FT / PT) they paid my way through medic school. Had to give them 2 years as a medic, again 96 hours a month. 12 hour shifts that time.