Where Were You....

TJC

Forum Probie
It was my hubby's first day of vacation so we decided to let him sleep late and wait until he woke up to have breakfast. We had just started Joshua's home-school lessons for the day, and Mike's hand was on the front doorknob, as he was going to pick up some chocolate donuts, when the morning news sounded for a special report. I sent Joshua from the room not wanting him to see what had just happened and canceled all his classes that day. Something inside me just told me it was no accident, and I couldn't believe we had been attacked on our on soil. I was one of a generation brought up to believe we were invincible. My delusion as well as my heart broke that day.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
It was my first day working as a security officer in a hospital. We noticed some TV coverage during our tours, and when we learned what happened the entire hospital went into lockdown. We called in every officer we had and stationed people at the entrances. I ended up spending 14 hours at the main entrance checking people's bags and having them move their vehicles out from under the building.

Most people were very tolerant of the added security measures, primarily because they were still in shock. The ones that were less tolerant were the ones that hadn't heard abuot the attacks yet.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by ffemt8978@Aug 24 2005, 01:55 PM
It was my first day working as a security officer in a hospital. We noticed some TV coverage during our tours, and when we learned what happened the entire hospital went into lockdown. We called in every officer we had and stationed people at the entrances. I ended up spending 14 hours at the main entrance checking people's bags and having them move their vehicles out from under the building.

Most people were very tolerant of the added security measures, primarily because they were still in shock. The ones that were less tolerant were the ones that hadn't heard abuot the attacks yet.
As for security... at my Co... when the "Terror Alert" goes up to Orange, we have extra officers and inspect more "things"..... for me, Orange is good..... More Money!!

Ian

Forum Crew Member
I was 16 years old; I woke up that morning with a sinking feeling. I didn't feel good, I kept getting sick and I pleaded with my mom to stay home with me because I was afraid she was going to get into a car wreck or something. I was watching the today show when Katie Coruch(sp) said that the WTC was hit with a plane. I was confused at first, but I knew this had been what I was feeling sick about. I watched it all, sobbing at times knowing that my cousin Jen worked in one of the buildings, (turns out building 7, not WTC towers) I got a call from her saying she was alright later that day.

That was the day I decided I would follow my dreams and become an EMT; and a firefighter. Here I am four years later following that dream. It forced me to realize that the world wasn't a personal playground, and wasn't all "peachy". I wanted to help people, be it a sick little lady who couldn't breathe right, or a MVA patient. So; now I'm here, four years later, doing what I think is right. It's kind of odd, that day shaped my life in many ways, and made me realize that this was my goal in life, to help people to any extent possible.

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Heard an interesting 9/11 story today. I've been at a county disaster preparedness conference the past two days (through my DMAT) and our keynote speaker today was Ed Buikema, who's the head of the response division of FEMA, and shared this with us.

I didn't realize this, but FEMA was having a big conference in Montana the week of 9/11. Mr. Buikema had been the emergency manager for the State of Michigan at the time and was actually given his new job with FEMA the afternoon of Sept. 10 (talk about jumping into the fire). Most of the state's EMs along with most of the FEMA brass were at this meeting, and when news of the attack came, obviously they either wanted to get to NY or back to their home states. Of course, given the airplane grounding, that was difficult. For the head of FEMA, the Air National Guard was able to arrange for a military transport plane to take the FEMA guys back to D.C. and/or to NYC. For the EM from NY, they did the same...only his transport was a fighter and he got back in about 3 hours.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by SafetyPro@Aug 27 2005, 01:16 AM
For the EM from NY, they did the same...only his transport was a fighter and he got back in about 3 hours.
Wow... that is an intresting job perk.... if they blow up YOUR state, and you are at a meeting on the other side of the country... you get to go Mach 2 home. :rolleyes:

Rangat

Forum Lieutenant
I was at home, and saw it on CNN, and then a called everyone i know, and all were talking about it for a week- witch is a lot for the South Africans to talk about something overseas. But, it sucked. I wanted to be there. :angry: