Where to go for high volume 911 (EMS only) work/employment.

alphatrauma

Forum Captain
Where can a "green" medic go to get busy (urban) 911 experience, and not be required to become a FF?

I am located on the east coast, but have absolutely no problem picking up and relocating anywhere in the country. Pay is not terribly important, and the crappier the workload the better.

If anyone in/belonging to such an agency could chime in, and give me some insight, it would be greatly appreciated.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Newark, Jersey City, New York, Yonkers, White Plains/New Rochelle

medic417

The Truth Provider
Do you want a quality service where you will actually finish your education by working with an experienced professional paramedic or just one where you can play with no one to correct you?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Remember high volume does not always mean better experience.

R/r 911

firecoins

IFT Puppet

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Kansas City, MO with MAST is a good option.

OP
OP
alphatrauma

alphatrauma

Forum Captain
Do you want a quality service where you will actually finish your education by working with an experienced professional paramedic or just one where you can play with no one to correct you?

Ridryder911 said:
Remember high volume does not always mean better experience.

Point taken gentlemen. I definitely could've expanded a bit more on my requirements.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Kansas City, MO with MAST is a good option.

If you want to deal with the constant threat of fire taking over. They almost succeeded this year.

OP
OP
alphatrauma

alphatrauma

Forum Captain
If you want to deal with the constant threat of fire taking over. They almost succeeded this year.

That seems to be the theme just about everywhere nowadays:sad:

I am a PA native (Philly), so heading back up to the NE would be relatively painless for me... moving out west really peaks my curiosity, and would definitely get me out of my comfort zone though.

Can anyone share any personal experiences/opinions working in any of the above mentioned locales... or any other areas?

HasTy

Forum Lieutenant
If you are NREMT-P then you might check out Bakersfield CA with Hall Ambulance they are a private based EMS service with good quality people and high call volume also they cover almost the entire county and the FD is there in a First Responder role only all though they do have medics not every call gets an FF/Medic there are no where near enough to go around.

MedicSetla

Forum Probie
Getting experience

I have to quote one of the EMT's from the movie "LEVEL ZERO"

Many people come to Alameda County and they say "One month here is equal to a year any where else"

I appreciate busy systems and for green medics... consider Oakland, CA!

Thaddeus

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Interesting. I been away from NorCal for many years now, so I don't know how things are these days. Is there much turnover at AMR there? Many openings in EMS? Or do you get stuck running transfers for years waiting for a slot to open up? Do you end up being the FD's whipping boy on most runs (like SoCal), or do you get to practice some real medicine?

What's up with the SF situation now that the FD has been told they cannot monopolize transport anymore?

MedicSetla

Forum Probie
Nor Cal EMS

I have to say that Fire and EMs blend well here, we do have a few fire medics that pretend to run the call and act as if they are in charge, but the ones that know that medicine is truly learned through patient contact allow us to do our jobs and are happy to see us when we arrive.

Egos aside I feel fire could use a dose of reality as to the transporting medics' true impact on the patient. I just interviewed and recorded 3 cardiac arrest survivors for the EMS banquet coming up next week and the truth of the matter is simply this...

Those that are in fire and come from the EMS side understand the value of the medics and EMTs, and I am humbled to have a chance to talk with the few fireman that get that! They appreciated the team aspect of the code save and I personally will be focusing more on that in the films to come!!

Thaddeus

OP
OP
alphatrauma

alphatrauma

Forum Captain
Denver has nothing to worry about in regards to any type of fire issue.

Hmmmm... I wonder how well I could acclimate to the altitude change? I've been living below sea level my entire life.

MedicSetla said:
I have to quote one of the EMT's from the movie "LEVEL ZERO"

Many people come to Alameda County and they say "One month here is equal to a year any where else"

I appreciate busy systems and for green medics... consider Oakland, CA!

Thaddeus

So basically Alameda would not be an option for me [lack of experience], and I should look into Oakland?

HasTy said:
If you are NREMT-P then you might check out Bakersfield CA with Hall Ambulance they are a private based EMS service with good quality people and high call volume also they cover almost the entire county and the FD is there in a First Responder role only all though they do have medics not every call gets an FF/Medic there are no where near enough to go around.

Not natl reg as of yet... still in school. I plan to challenge the registry on Aug 8th, so I'm basically trying to get a good overview of options beforehand. Thanks for the input

Anyone have any links to websites?

firecoins

IFT Puppet