where can i find Los Angeles Scope of Practice 2014?

josxe89

Forum Ride Along
I live in CA and can't seem to be able to find the Los Angeles scope of practce test online from the UCLA website, I've been told that the test is free and up online. I'm confused on what to do now, can someone kindly help and let me know what I can do, thanks

John E

Forum Captain
Have you tried contacting the Los Angeles County DHS?

OP
OP
J

josxe89

Forum Ride Along
@John E: I contact the EMS of CA but it seems the UCLA website is down and give out the LA scope of practice so I have to play the waiting game for now :/ i need a job lol

John E

Forum Captain
I repeat, did you try to contact the Los Angeles County DHS?

There's a reason why going to the actual source is usually better than going elsewhere.

OP
OP
J

josxe89

Forum Ride Along
John E. Yeah i did actually but they told me to call EMS CA because they deal with that. So i called once again and the UCLA website is down and their "fixing" it.

John E

Forum Captain
I'm confused, what exactly are you looking for? A class to take the current Los Angeles Scope of Practice or something else? A copy of the current scope of practice for EMT's can be found at the DHS EMS website.

The state EMSA doesn't determine the Los Angeles County EMT Scope of practice, their website specifically refers people to their county's EMSA's for any specifically required additional classes. In other words, if you want to be certified to work in the county of Los Angeles, you must attend a scope of practice class or you must provide proof that the school you attended taught the class.

The Los Angeles County DHS EMSA website maintains a list of all certified education providers that offer the Scope of Practice classes.

What exactly does the status of the UCLA website have to do with your question?

Chris07

Competent in Incompetence
In order to work in LA County as an EMT you have to have your state cert + the local Expanded Scope Training.

He's asking where he can find the Online LA County Expanded Scope training.

The only place you can get it is from through the UCLA website by creating an account, adding the class to your cart, and checking out (It's free).

If their website is down you'll have to be patient until they get it fixed.

John E

Forum Captain
Thanks, I'm aware of whats required to work in Los Angeles County. The OP stated that he/she needed a job, waiting for a website to become operational seems like a waste of time to me but if you can only take the class online and can't afford to pay for it I suppose that's what one needs to do. There are a number of places available where one can take the scope of practice class, you don't have to take it thru UCLA and they can be found with a simple search of the County DHS/EMS website, which isn't "down" for what it's worth.

OP
OP
J

josxe89

Forum Ride Along
Well i'm looking for class to take the current Los Angeles Scope of Practice (since my class didn't offer it), So i searched places to take this course but either their number is disconnected or they tell me that UCLA now takes care of that and that they no longer teach the course. I would rather do it for free of course through their website (but its down still so I can't). But I would for sure pay if I could take the course, but can't seem to find anyone that teaches it :/
I have my EMT certification, Ambulance certificate, but no LA county scope of practice :( would employers still employ me with my LA scope of practice still pending? i wonder.

John E

Forum Captain
Where did you go to school? What county are you currently certified in?

Have you tried calling the folks at UCLA?

OP
OP
J

josxe89

Forum Ride Along
I went to Los Angeles Habor College. I'm not certified in any county yet, that's why I need to do the LA scope of practice.

Actually I haven't tried calling UCLA yet, I've just spoke with the EMS CA and the Los Angeles County DHS.

John E

Forum Captain
I'm not trying to bust your chops here but do you know why the class you took at Harbor didn't include the scope of practice? Who told you that the UCLA class is the one you're supposed to use?

What do you mean when you state that you have your EMT certification but you're not certified to work anywhere? Have you passed the NREMT test?

The county has a list of people/schools that provide the scope class, have you tried all of them?

We'll get you certified...

OP
OP
J

josxe89

Forum Ride Along
oh no it's fine thanks for helping if anything.
The teacher just said "when you pass your NR-emt, go to LA county and pay the fee so your able to work in this county' to find out its actually another course we have to take along with a test, which is fine, but he really didn't really explain that part at all.

EMS CA and the teachers that I called or emailed told me that one must watch a one hour course online,then take a test after the video,then i'll be mailed the LA county scope of practice card.

Yeah I passed the NR-EMT already, its been a month since.

yeah the i have tried them all, there was a list i found on the EMS CA for teachers that teach LA scope of practice, but they either have a disconnected line or don't offer that course anymore.

John E

Forum Captain
Well heres what I'd do. Call UCLA and ask them about attending a class in person. Then I'd call the county DHS/EMS office and let someone there know that their list is out of date. Then I'd call the dean in charge of the EMT program at Harbor College and file a formal complaint against your teacher for lying to you and your fellow classmates. There's no viable reason why they shouldn't have included that class in the program, it's simple and takes virtually no time and as you're finding out, it's required.

I've checked a few of my usual sources online and I'm coming up dry but I'll make some calls tomorrow and see if I can come up with someone that can help you out. I hate it when the people we pay to educate us lie to us.

OP
OP
J

josxe89

Forum Ride Along
I'll be sure to do that first thing tomorrow, hopefully there's better luck after I call UCLA. But yeah your right, it's awful. until now i'm seeing that other schools offer it with their emt class. I go to harbor college so i thought why not since im already here. Thanks a lot John, you have been very informative and I appreciate your help

John E

Forum Captain
I've put some feelers out. Will let you know ASAP