Where are you from and whats your story?

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant
I live in Newnan, Ga.. a suburb of Atlanta basically.

As the daughter of a salutatorian of the US Naval Academy, it was pretty much expected that I go to college. I did. I have a degree in Geography with a minor in Geology and planning. I was married and pregnant when I finished.. I never used my degree. I've been a sahm for the last 5 years. I always knew that I wanted to be a paramedic. I didnt have the balls to tell Mom and Dad that I wanted to stop my 8 years of college to go to tech school to be a medic.

When my hubby told me earlier this year that he was ready to retire from Delta, I agreed under the condition that he stay there long enough for me to go to EMT school. Hopefully I can pass NREMT and will be working by April 08. He is set to retire 1/1/08 but may push it back until 4/1/08. We're both excited!

And, my ultimate goal is to work at Grady or Childrens Healthcare in Atlanta. I'm not too excited about working at one of the suburb stations but I'm going to apply there as well!!

PS, I'm 30 and hubby is 38!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Good for you, and welcome to the forum!

emtwannabe

Forum Lieutenant
Welcome from Henry County......

Where do you go to school?

Jeff

OP
OP
E

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant
Hey neighbor! Who do you work for?

I'm at West Central Tech in Waco although my class is actually (convienently) at the Newnan campus!

emtwannabe

Forum Lieutenant
Cool....I am going back to Griffin Tech to get my paramedic this fall....You are in the 12 month class for EMT?

Don't sweat the NREMT. It is no more difficult than any final test you will have, just more comprehensive.

I currently work for City EMS in Stockbridge, right next to Henry Medical Center.

By the way, I used to live in the Thomas Crossroads area...I am real familiar with your neck of the woods.

Jeff

OP
OP
E

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant
No, actually I squeeked into the 9 month class, this is the last time it is being offered as 9 months at my school. I will take the NREMT in March.

I am SOO worried about them, I don't do well on standardized, multiple choice questions AT ALL. I can make A's in college all day long but I completely lose it when I get a multiple choice test. I'm also a BAD guesser. I've heard that its basically all "best right answer" which I will blow. There are 3 people out of my class of 14 retaking the course because they didnt pass the NREMT. I think they said that from their class at least 3 more didnt pass, 2 definately passed and they dont know about the others. BAD odds!!

I live on the opposite side of Coweta from Thomas Crossroads, we actually live at Powers Crossroads, close to the Carroll and Heard county lines.

s1080

Forum Probie
I recently passed the nremt on my second shot at it and am now "coaching" a couple others on their third attempt. It can be a difficult test and you never take the same test twice. The best thing that helped me was relationships and knowing what v/s were good and which ones were bad (dont forget about the pupils which was one of my grave mistakes on my first attempt;)). I personally saw a lot of questions based on V/S alone. But like I said every test is different. Just study hard and you'll get it.

As for my personal story. Im orginally from illinois (chicago area) and had to move to south carolina. I took the emt course for a number of reasons. Cool job, I enjoy the medicine field, and hope to one day (fingers crossed) make it into med school which the medical training could help in. My biggest delema with the whole thing is finding a job.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
E

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant
Did the study books help? Or the study websites? What are some good study resources? Do I rely on the book alone (I'm using AAOS Intermediate Emergency Care...)

OP
OP
E

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant
PS, I JUST started last week.. all of this is really new to me!!

emtwannabe

Forum Lieutenant
We used Mosby's Prehospital Care, 7th edition. As far as resources go, you can use this forum for the majority of, if not all of your questions. These folks have really been helpful to me so far. And just to single one person, without insulting the other people on this BB, listen to RidRyder. Read over his posts. Suck them up like mother's milk, because that is exactly what it is, to the new EMT.

Again, just read through the posts here. Also, check out fieldmedics.com
Rid posts over there as well.

Do not hesitate to ask questions. These folks have all been where you are now. Pretty soon the 9 months will have flown by, and you will be taking the registry!

Good luck, and if you need something, I pop in here at least once a day.

Jeff