When Was Your First "What" Event?

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
When was your first unexpected event, or common thing in an uncommon way, that changed your opinion, for better or worse?

For me, it was November 2014: dialysis transport, and a wait-and-return doctor's appointment. I knew they were common, but I had never done one before. Truth be told, I thought I was above them. I think that was when I really started to dislike Acadian.

squirrel15

Forum Captain
I can't recall the date, but for me it was when I stopped having loyalty to any company. I realized I was truly there for the patient and could not care less what threat dispatch or adminstration threw at me, I would always be there for the patient I had care of at the moment, the next call did not matter.

phideux

Forum Captain
Doing transport, Just leaving the Trauma Center, and getting dispatched to our next call. 3hrs away, for a chest pain, coming out of the nursing home, across the street from the ER.

Annie

Forum Ride Along
My partner and I got dispatched to a hospital discharge 30 minutes prior to our off time. We swore and cursed the entire drive to the hospital. Come to find out this patient was going home on hospice because his wife had died the night prior and he did not want to "do this" anymore. He had spent the last 3 weeks in the hospital and had not seen his wife, only to be informed that morning she had passed away. During the transport, he talked about his happiest and worst moments, and told me he has lived a good life-- that it just wasn't worth it anymore when he no longer had anyone to share his moments with. I held his hand and listened the entire way and dropped him off at the facility. All the menial bs we complained about everyday suddenly didn't mean anything at all, and we were ashamed. That call definitely humbled our perspectives.