When do you use your siren?

JPINFV

Gadfly
The "code" setup that I'm familiar with is code 3 is lights and sirens, code 2 is flow of traffic.

emtstudent04

Forum Lieutenant
I've actually ran code up the 5 about 25 miles or so doing about 75 or a little more. I just sit in the fast lane and go. I just had a steady red and the alternating red flashers on, no strobes, no siren. People moved out of the way and everything went fine.

The way I see it, if you're going to be able to safely travel faster than the other traffic, put it on.

What company do you work for?

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I only use the siren in my personal car when I am in traffick.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
state laws typically state if your lights are on, an audible device should be sounded. this could be your siren, airhord, or bicycle bell.

if you chose not to, that is your choice, but when you hit a car/child, and the cop/prosecuter asks you if you had your siren on in accordance to agency policy and state law, what will your response be?

oh, and while some drivers can zone out to the siren, few people can ignore a real airhorn

JPINFV

Gadfly
And code 1 is presumably, "Leave whenever you finish your sandwich"?

While "code 2" and "code 3" is, from as far as I can surmise, state wide nomenclature (definitely codified in the procedures for LA and OC Counties), "code 1" at the company I worked for in California wasn't used in the same sense of "code 2" or "code 3." Code 1 was "We're going to the ER, so dispatch needs to take an entry note from us and call the receiving hospital."

JPINFV

Gadfly
if you chose not to, that is your choice, but when you hit a car/child, and the cop/prosecuter asks you if you had your siren on in accordance to agency policy and state law, what will your response be?
It's really an irrelevant question because unless the other side is showing some sort of mass stupidity (why is the child playing in the middle of the street again?), the driver of the emergency vehicle, when using the exemptions laid out, is going to be responsible anyways. I'd rather drive safely than put false hope on a piece of equipment whose effectiveness is dramatically decreased with each new generation of cars.

oh, and while some drivers can zone out to the siren, few people can ignore a real airhorn

Also, few drivers will ignore an emergency vehicle that isn't tailgating them, thus negating the need to blare the airhorn.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Here Code 1 is no lights and sires, and Code 3 is with. If it is late and we are in a residential area with no traffic it is not uncommon for us to turn off the siren, and only use it at intersections or if needed.

esmcdowell

Forum Crew Member
except for IFT, where I don't use lights or sirens unless specifically told to do so, i use the lights whenever I'm out of the ambulance bay, and the siren is provisional on traffic/time of day/season. I'm in a tourist town, so the siren sees a lot more use in summertime than wintertime.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
A friend says "after coitus".

I say follow your protocols and drive like everyone wants to pull out in front or or hit you.

OP
OP
S

SugarMedicCT

Forum Ride Along
But betrween my spouse and the EMTLIFE Overlords, I think maybe I ought not to post it.

BTW, I finally heard The Rumbler in action at home. Reminded me of the klaxon some fire trucks use at intersections but deeper. Very penetrative. Wonder if I can get one for my stereo at home?
My company bought a fly car that has it. I haven't worked in it yet, and my goal is to avoid it for as long as I can. I have heard it (and felt it), though, and it is certainly intense. They have also added the european sirens to go along with the blue and yellow battenburg pattern the fly car and 4 of our new Sprinters have. Don't get me started...

Last edited by a moderator:

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I use the siren to get my food faster.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
Emergency food truck...

People_Magazine_Shoot_1_PI.jpg

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Yeah pull into a drive-through, order, then light em up.

Works at drive-up tellers and ATM's too.:unsure: