When are you too old to try out for a tactical medic slot in your area?

Phlipper

Forum Lieutenant
I've been trying to find out everything I can about local Tactical Medic slots, and I've gotten some good info. I'm scheduled to begin the EMT-P in three weeks as long as I pass the B certs, and by the time I've finished the P course I will have close to the year of experience that is the absolute minimum around here. But I'll be 48 by the time I'm even minimally qualified, and none of the folks I've spoken with locally really knew if there was an unwritten age limit.

By the time I start pursuing the Tactical course I'll be 48, with previous military and combat experience, still in good physical condition, and I train and compete in three-gun and tactical shooting matches (which are VERY physical). And I could definitely kick the cardio up a notch for a Tac Medic try-out. But what are the odds someone would give me a shot? What is the "unofficial" age cut-off in your area? Where do you see the dividing line in your area?

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
Hah, you're probably in better shape than the guys on your local SWAT team, with more actual tac experience too.

OP
OP
P

Phlipper

Forum Lieutenant
Hah, you're probably in better shape than the guys on your local SWAT team, with more actual tac experience too.

LOL. That may or may not be true. However I do know from personal experience that I can out shoot many of them. :D However, I once saw an SRT team from Atlanta clean the clock of a whole bunch of active duty SOF from Bragg in a long range tactical comp.

I still have a lot of respect for SRTs/HRTs and would love to roll with those guys before I'm too old, even if I'd be carrying a bag instead of a weapon.

FF-EMT Diver

Forum Captain
You do not necessarily have to wait a yr in most cases, if you pass the B certs then most teams will allow you to be on the team as "medic" as most of what you will need to do is BLS anyway.

On the age I agree 48 is getting up there but at the same time I don't think most teams will discriminate against you for that if you can pass the physicals.

Good luck!!