Wheelchair van to EMT?

jtwiss

Forum Ride Along
Hi all hope you are well!

I have just completed my EMT Basic course and am waiting to take the state certification exams! I am excited to get into the EMS field but I was wondering if anyone could advise on the best way to get experience before your first EMT job.

Specifically, I was wondering if companies valued wheelchair van experience? It seems related and like a good job to do while waiting for the state to send you your cert, but I was curious if anyone had any experience taking that path. Also, I have identified a few companies that I would like to work for. Do ambulance companies like to hire EMTs from their wheelchair van drivers? Is it a good foot in the door to a company you like?

Thanks for reading and for any responses!

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Hi all hope you are well!

I have just completed my EMT Basic course and am waiting to take the state certification exams! I am excited to get into the EMS field but I was wondering if anyone could advise on the best way to get experience before your first EMT job.

Specifically, I was wondering if companies valued wheelchair van experience? It seems related and like a good job to do while waiting for the state to send you your cert, but I was curious if anyone had any experience taking that path. Also, I have identified a few companies that I would like to work for. Do ambulance companies like to hire EMTs from their wheelchair van drivers? Is it a good foot in the door to a company you like?

Thanks for reading and for any responses!

For the love of god just wait for your cert and get a job on an ambulance. Most if not all private companies do not care about experience.

UnkiEMT

Forum Truck Monkey
Premium Member
For the love of god just wait for your cert and get a job on an ambulance. Most if not all private companies do not care about experience.

Largely that, though I'll add an caveat that if you can find an EMS service that also runs a wheelchair van service and is hiring for it, trying to do a lateral transfer is easier than hiring on to the truck, since you'll already have some proven experience at driving and customer service, not to mention fitting in with the crew.

Now, in my personal experience, I've never had a problem getting a job, so I wouldn't bother trying to make that sidestep, but as I understand it, there are a fair number of markets with heavy saturation, where that plan might make a great deal of sense.

(Side note: if you go that route, don't be surprised if you have to work as a wheelchair van driver for a while after you get your license until the service runs a hiring group.)

OP
OP
J

jtwiss

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the help UnkiEMT. I am in a spot where I need a new job ASAP and can't wait around for the state to get it together. If I can pay my bills and at the same time do something to get a leg up I will. Now off to get all my ducks in a row and try to get a job! :)

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Thanks for the help UnkiEMT. I am in a spot where I need a new job ASAP and can't wait around for the state to get it together. If I can pay my bills and at the same time do something to get a leg up I will. Now off to get all my ducks in a row and try to get a job! :)
Great attitude to have. Do what you need to in order to make some money and pay the bills, and realize jobs can be temporary. No one can fault you for doing what you have to to survive.

On a side note, how much longer should the state take to process your EMT certification? In the few states in which I've seen the process it hasn't taken long at all after all the required paperwork is submitted. If it's a smaller company, perhaps check if you can begin the application/interview process as your cert is pending and immediately submit the documentatiom when the state finishes processing it.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Great attitude to have. Do what you need to in order to make some money and pay the bills, and realize jobs can be temporary. No one can fault you for doing what you have to to survive.

On a side note, how much longer should the state take to process your EMT certification? In the few states in which I've seen the process it hasn't taken long at all after all the required paperwork is submitted. If it's a smaller company, perhaps check if you can begin the application/interview process as your cert is pending and immediately submit the documentation when the state finishes processing it.

OP
OP
J

jtwiss

Forum Ride Along

On a side note, how much longer should the state take to process your EMT certification? In the few states in which I've seen the process it hasn't taken long at all after all the required paperwork is submitted. If it's a smaller company, perhaps check if you can begin the application/interview process as your cert is pending and immediately submit the documentation when the state finishes processing it.

Thanks!

Without getting too much into detail, I have to relocate from MA to CT by Sept. 1st and find a job down in CT. I know MA can have long wait times, and adding on time submitting to CT for reciprocity, I am worried it could be months. I didn't know you could apply without a cert number though, I will inquire with the companies I'm interested in if they would accept me starting the process before my paperwork comes in. I can wait a month or so without a job and be okay, but too much longer would be tough. It would give me peace of mind to start the process sooner! :)

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
It's not a bad job. I did it for a few months full time while waiting for a different job to open up and I had a little bit of fun at times. It was low key and as long as you were nice and somewhat prompt, all was fine. We also ran errands for the ambulance side, getting stuff out to posted crews and whatnot. Taut and we were also the detox pickup vans.