what's your take on this call

knxemt1983

Forum Lieutenant
ok so here's a call I ran the other night, I got a couple questions that I'll have at the bottom.

we respond emergency to scene where fire was called out non-emergency for a lift assist. upon arrival elderly f pt is seated on bed. Fire medic reported that pt was on floor on their arrival and they got her in the bed. Unknown time down. front door was open when fire got there about 0230, and in a not so good area of town. house was warm, more like hot, clean with no abnormal finding. pt is not oriented to anything except for her first name. b/p 64/p, pulse is regular but ranged from 140 bpm down to about 40, and back up at varying times. only two meds that we could find were macrobid and atenolol. unknown medical hx. no trauma noted. pupils equal and pinpoint, grips equal no facial droop or slurred speech. once on the monitor it showed only what looked like artifact, it was fire's monitor so we thought maybe it was messed up, put her on our brand new machine, with same effect, 12 lead unattainable. tried moving leads from legs to abd, and shoulders the chest, and everything in between, with no change, hospital ekg did the same thing. lost radial pulses once we got int he truck, and my monitor v-fib alarm went off but it was still crap so I figure thats just the monitors mistake since the pt still had pulse and was conscious. clear breath sounds all around,
gave her about 300 cc NS and got radials back but weak. called med control and asked doc what to do and he said titrate fluid to keep pulses and get there asap and to call back if I could get more info or something new developed. (honestly I was stumped, all I knew to do was o2, iv, and attempt ekg and vitals). hands were cold throughout so no pulse ox, but pt had pink core.

end verdict as of now is hypothermia (oh yeah I used warm fluid, not hot warm per protocol) with a core temp of 90.2f. Doc said for some reason yet undetermined at my last check, her body is not "generating enough heat". I will check back in next shift and update the final Dx.

my questions are this:
1. why could I get no EKG tracing, was it the cold or could it be something else. One of the other medics said something about some people can't wear watches because of electromagnetic fields from their body, and maybe thats it, but that doesn't sound right to me but I'm no know it all

2. why would her body not be generating heat, what mechanism would cause that to happen?

3. I thought fluid was right to try, but we have hypotension protocol to use dopamine, but I didn't want to go that route with out knowing what her heart was doing. ended up that the doc comfirmed my thoughts but if no doc was available what would you have done to overcome the EKG obstacle or worked around it.

4. what more could I have done. I missed the hypothermia and know I should've thought of it with her age, low body mass, and in the floor on a cold night, I guess the hot house made me overlook it when it should've tpped me off to it (live and learn, I'll be aware of that from now on). thankfully we were gentle with here just because of her age. I'm a new medic and want to try and learn as much about these kind of calls as I can.

we did take her in emergency, and she did make it through the night alive and was in the bear-hugger warming device when I went off duty.

Last edited by a moderator:

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
ok so here's a call I ran the other night, I got a couple questions that I'll have at the bottom.

we respond emergency to scene where fire was called out non-emergency for a lift assist. upon arrival elderly f pt is seated on bed. Fire medic reported that pt was on floor on their arrival and they got her in the bed. Unknown time down. front door was open when fire got there about 0230, and in a not so good area of town. house was warm, more like hot, clean with no abnormal finding. pt is not oriented to anything except for her first name. b/p 64/p, pulse is regular but ranged from 140 bpm down to about 40, and back up at varying times. only two meds that we could find were macrobid and atenolol. unknown medical hx. no trauma noted. pupils equal and pinpoint, grips equal no facial droop or slurred speech. once on the monitor it showed only what looked like artifact, it was fire's monitor so we thought maybe it was messed up, put her on our brand new machine, with same effect, 12 lead unattainable. tried moving leads from legs to abd, and shoulders the chest, and everything in between, with no change, hospital ekg did the same thing. lost radial pulses once we got int he truck, and my monitor v-fib alarm went off but it was still crap so I figure thats just the monitors mistake since the pt still had pulse and was conscious. clear breath sounds all around,
gave her about 300 cc NS and got radials back but weak. called med control and asked doc what to do and he said titrate fluid to keep pulses and get there asap and to call back if I could get more info or something new developed. (honestly I was stumped, all I knew to do was o2, iv, and attempt ekg and vitals). hands were cold throughout so no pulse ox, but pt had pink core.

end verdict as of now is hypothermia (oh yeah I used warm fluid, not hot warm per protocol) with a core temp of 90.2f. Doc said for some reason yet undetermined at my last check, her body is not "generating enough heat". I will check back in next shift and update the final Dx.

my questions are this:
1. why could I get no EKG tracing, was it the cold or could it be something else. One of the other medics said something about some people can't wear watches because of electromagnetic fields from their body, and maybe thats it, but that doesn't sound right to me but I'm no know it all

2. why would her body not be generating heat, what mechanism would cause that to happen?

3. I thought fluid was right to try, but we have hypotension protocol to use dopamine, but I didn't want to go that route with out knowing what her heart was doing. ended up that the doc comfirmed my thoughts but if no doc was available what would you have done to overcome the EKG obstacle or worked around it.

4. what more could I have done. I missed the hypothermia and know I should've thought of it with her age, low body mass, and in the floor on a cold night, I guess the hot house made me overlook it when it should've tpped me off to it (live and learn, I'll be aware of that from now on). thankfully we were gentle with here just because of her age. I'm a new medic and want to try and learn as much about these kind of calls as I can.

we did take her in emergency, and she did make it through the night alive and was in the bear-hugger warming device when I went off duty.

Do you have a copy of the ECG to post? It sounds like the lack of aquisition could be due to either A: the way the heart conducted itself (some rhythms, though looking like artifact are indeed lethal dysrhythmias), or B: I've seen pts dry flaky skin and the condition of the electrodes not allow a good enough connection to get any reading at all.

Add to that infection to the elderly can cause both unreadable ECG's and hypothermia.

41 Duck

Forum Lieutenant
1) I think the suspicion you have regarding self-generated magnetic fields is well-founded. This makes for great plot devices and for weird explanations on TV shows like GHOST HUNTERS, but I'd suspect it was more a conductivity issue due to condition of PT's skin.

2) There's a couple of disease processes that could cause lack of heat generation --but this is probably best directed at Rid. I'd think it more likely that the PT couldn't retain heat generated due to physical condition, and would ask if her age exceeded her weight.

3) I'd go with the fluid as well, and omit any drugs without being able to confirm electrical activity.

4) Hypothermia is a weird thing, as it's subject to the PT's interaction with their environment--which may not have the same effect on the provider. Like you said, the house was hot... trying to compensate for chronically feeling cold. As far as what else you could have done... well, that'd all depend on recognizing the process at work...

...and figuring out what you could do better next time, which is, essentially the thrust of this discussion, so I'd say you're doing all you can.

We all have calls we would like back to have another go at it. Thank god for 'em... as these are the ones from which we learn.

Later!

--Coop

VentMedic

Forum Chief
This may have been shivering even if not readily visible to your eye. A 12-lead would have been imipossible. A 3 lead might have had some success. If we see total EKG artifact on a patient that comes in with an ROSC hypotermia protocol started, we know the sedation and paralytics are not adequate.

The body loses heat through radiation, convection and conduction. Even if the room is very warm, contact with a cold surface will allow transference of heat through conduction.

The pinpoint pupils can also indicate a medication, drug or neurological injury of either brain or spinal cord. The body's temperature regulating mechanism may also be affected. This can involve the hypothalamus or peripheral thermoreceptors.

Not all neuro disorders are cleared with hand squeezing or lack of facial droop.

reaper

Working Bum
I did not notice in your post, did you get a BGL on her?

OP
OP
K

knxemt1983

Forum Lieutenant
This may have been shivering even if not readily visible to your eye. A 12-lead would have been imipossible. A 3 lead might have had some success. If we see total EKG artifact on a patient that comes in with an ROSC hypotermia protocol started, we know the sedation and paralytics are not adequate.

The body loses heat through radiation, convection and conduction. Even if the room is very warm, contact with a cold surface will allow transference of heat through conduction.

The pinpoint pupils can also indicate a medication, drug or neurological injury of either brain or spinal cord. The body's temperature regulating mechanism may also be affected. This can involve the hypothalamus or peripheral thermoreceptors.

Not all neuro disorders are cleared with hand squeezing or lack of facial droop.

yeah I was kinda thinkin toward basically shivering inside, but not a visible shaking outside. I tried to find other meds but had no sucess, but thats definitely a possibility.

what other neurologic test would you suggest? I know the usuals like facial droop, grips, speech, arm drift, and mental status, but what others?

OP
OP
K

knxemt1983

Forum Lieutenant
1) I think the suspicion you have regarding self-generated magnetic fields is well-founded. This makes for great plot devices and for weird explanations on TV shows like GHOST HUNTERS, but I'd suspect it was more a conductivity issue due to condition of PT's skin.

2) There's a couple of disease processes that could cause lack of heat generation --but this is probably best directed at Rid. I'd think it more likely that the PT couldn't retain heat generated due to physical condition, and would ask if her age exceeded her weight.

3) I'd go with the fluid as well, and omit any drugs without being able to confirm electrical activity.

4) Hypothermia is a weird thing, as it's subject to the PT's interaction with their environment--which may not have the same effect on the provider. Like you said, the house was hot... trying to compensate for chronically feeling cold. As far as what else you could have done... well, that'd all depend on recognizing the process at work...

...and figuring out what you could do better next time, which is, essentially the thrust of this discussion, so I'd say you're doing all you can.

We all have calls we would like back to have another go at it. Thank god for 'em... as these are the ones from which we learn.

Later!

--Coop

her body weight actually was about equal to her age. she was 88 and weighed maybe 90 lbs. So she was at risk for hypothermia anyway. yeah I hope rid will chime in, I know it was probably just a conduction issue from being on the floor, but the heat being so high could indicate something going on before the fall, or it could just be that it was a cold night and she weighed 90 lbs. The possibility of a disorder that could cause that severe of hypothermia though has me curious, even if it had nothing to do with her issue.

OP
OP
K

knxemt1983

Forum Lieutenant
Do you have a copy of the ECG to post? It sounds like the lack of aquisition could be due to either A: the way the heart conducted itself (some rhythms, though looking like artifact are indeed lethal dysrhythmias), or B: I've seen pts dry flaky skin and the condition of the electrodes not allow a good enough connection to get any reading at all.

Add to that infection to the elderly can cause both unreadable ECG's and hypothermia.

I do have a copy, but have no way to scan it here, I will see if I canuse the scanner at work to get it on here when I go back on monday.

yeah the rythm worried me, I kept a close eye on her pulse (cartid pulse that is) to make sure at least she kept circulating. that combined with the low b/p is why we ran hot, I didn't wanna waste any time not knowing what was nehind the artifact.

I tried everything I could to clean the skin, new electrodes, the physio guy told us at our last in service to try cleaning the skin with alcohol then scrubbing it with a 4x4, but that didn't change anything

artman17847

Forum Crew Member
1) Her hypothermia was possibly due to a problem with her endocrine system, mainly something wrong with the hypothalmus that is responsible for regulating the body's temp.

2) Do you take temps as a regular part of your vitals. If not may want to add it to your regular vitals check.

reaper

Working Bum
Also remember that elderly folks have a hard time regulating body temp. That is why their houses are usually very warm inside. Then on top of that she laid on a floor for unknown time. That let conduction drain her body heat.

BTW- I asked before but didn't see an answer. Did you get a BGL on her? What was it?

bonedog

Forum Lieutenant
What was the Rx count, atenolol can cause cold extremities along with of course brady arrythmias and hypotension.
Perhaps she has developed "cold sepsis" from her UTI, if so, I imagine you will be looking at the postmortem.
What site did you use for your temp?
The electronic thermometers used peripherally are notoriously unreliable, good old mercury, rectal, might give you a better idea.

It would be interesting to find out it was a hypothalmus infarct.

It is unique to see when they start re-warming bypass patients and the cold patient begins to sweat. Fooling the master gland....

OP
OP
K

knxemt1983

Forum Lieutenant
1) Her hypothermia was possibly due to a problem with her endocrine system, mainly something wrong with the hypothalmus that is responsible for regulating the body's temp.

2) Do you take temps as a regular part of your vitals. If not may want to add it to your regular vitals check.

I usually don't because our company has really sucky thermometers, and they take like 5-6 min sometimes, and are inaccurate as can be. I think I will add it, I may even look into my own thermometer.

OP
OP
K

knxemt1983

Forum Lieutenant
Also remember that elderly folks have a hard time regulating body temp. That is why their houses are usually very warm inside. Then on top of that she laid on a floor for unknown time. That let conduction drain her body heat.

BTW- I asked before but didn't see an answer. Did you get a BGL on her? What was it?

bgl was 124, I did forget to put it in the original post. the way she presented made me instantly think bgl issues, just off first impression

OP
OP
K

knxemt1983

Forum Lieutenant
What was the Rx count, atenolol can cause cold extremities along with of course brady arrythmias and hypotension.
Perhaps she has developed "cold sepsis" from her UTI, if so, I imagine you will be looking at the postmortem.
What site did you use for your temp?
The electronic thermometers used peripherally are notoriously unreliable, good old mercury, rectal, might give you a better idea.

It would be interesting to find out it was a hypothalmus infarct.

It is unique to see when they start re-warming bypass patients and the cold patient begins to sweat. Fooling the master gland....

atenolol was right on track where it should have been, but the macrobid was a week old and empty, she had a three week script. I looked for a med planner but couldn't find one either. . the sepsis could definitely be possible. the ed reported the temp to me, our thermometers are only the old school oral ones.

crotchitymedic1986

Forum Crew Member
1. Monitors not working was probably due to electrical interfernce in the house, unless they continued to fail in the truck -- then could be an electrical disturbance in the truck.

2. Probably diagnosis:
1. Sepsis
2. Brain injury or brain tumor
3. Endocrine issue

With the fluctuations in B/P and pulse, I would be more likely to guess the brain injury or tumor.

OP
OP
K

knxemt1983

Forum Lieutenant
1. Monitors not working was probably due to electrical interfernce in the house, unless they continued to fail in the truck -- then could be an electrical disturbance in the truck.

2. Probably diagnosis:
1. Sepsis
2. Brain injury or brain tumor
3. Endocrine issue

With the fluctuations in B/P and pulse, I would be more likely to guess the brain injury or tumor.

disturbances on the monitor were present on three different monitors, one inside the house and outside, one in the truck, and the one in the ed. All showed the same thing so interference from anything other than the pt is pretty much out, only theing she had on was a night gown.

best explanation I've came up with so far is like stated above in a couple posts, maybe she was shivering internally without external tremors or something. I;m still kinda stumped

CH47Doc

Forum Ride Along
Did I read this correctly?

b/p 64/p, pulse is regular but ranged from 140 bpm down to about 40, and back up at varying times. only two meds that we could find were macrobid and atenolol.

BP is 64 palp?

atenolol overdose?

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

My guess would be septicemia secondary to the UTI that she is/was on the Macrobid for. Which would explain the hypotension, and the -lol beta blocker would explain the no increase in HR even though her pressure had fallen. The macrobid may not have covered the microorganism that caused the infection in the first place, especially if it wasn't cultured and followed up on.

As to the ECG tracing you probably caught her at the end of her compensating abilities and she was no longer visibly shivering from her septic hypothermia. Though she was still having small muscle fasiculations which were not visible to the eye.

Fluid therapy for sure, as dopamine is not going to be very effective is she is fluid depleted. Can squeeze the pipes and increase pump rate, but if theres no fluid to move it would be ineffective

Corky