whats the difference?

ericcoch

Forum Probie
I am a EMT B looking at becoming an I in the next few months. Here in Vermont we seem to have a few different I's I87, I90, I03, and I think 1 more. I am just wondering if anyone knows or has links to the skill differences. I am guessing that the numbers refer to years of matterial or something so do newer years include all of the older matterial?

thanks for any help

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
I am a EMT B looking at becoming an I in the next few months. Here in Vermont we seem to have a few different I's I87, I90, I03, and I think 1 more. I am just wondering if anyone knows or has links to the skill differences. I am guessing that the numbers refer to years of matterial or something so do newer years include all of the older matterial?

thanks for any help

Go medic. That way you won't have to worry about it.

OP
OP
E

ericcoch

Forum Probie
most parts of vermont do not have medics:wacko:, so that is not an option for me, i would love to, but in my area there are only 2 providers that due and jobs are very hard to get, you can not even take an emt level course unless you are affiliated with a rescue org.

OP
OP
E

ericcoch

Forum Probie
thanks i saw that too, on the testing paper work it has boxes for I 03 or I 90, I guess that I will the office next week some time

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
Go paramedic anyway, even if you have a paramedic cert and work as an I or even a B you're getting experience and you will always have your medic. And there's a whole lot more opportunities for a medic than just riding on the truck.

Paranini

Forum Probie
The only two EMT-I certs I know of are the EMT-I 85 and EMT-I 99, per NREMT anyway. I believe the difference is the EMT-I 85 is IV, ETT and like 7-8 drugs allowed to administer while the EMT-I 99 allows for cardiac monitoring and further resp treatments as well (almost a paramedic but not quite). I've heard it called EMT Enhanced and EMT Intermediate as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Per NREMT there is only two recognized Intermediate levels. The I-99 and I-85, and within a year or two be called Advanced EMT and many states will only recognize the I-85.

R/r 911

Northstar453

Forum Ride Along
As a former Vt EMT, in the north central region of Vt, it was one of the few regions that had Paramedics. With Vt theres different regions that have different rules and protocols, But as far as I know EMT-I's are the same throughout. Your best bet is to go for your medic, though again Vt being so behind the times in aspects, you will have to go out of state to get your medic, last time I knew there were no Medic programs in VT.

JELM99

Forum Probie
Around here you had to go through all 3 levels, which included I-85 until just about a year ago. Then a community college offered a EMT-B to Medic. It was a big deal. WOW! Relatively a year and half excluding clinical time, and you are a medic. I had the option to wait until the emt to medic began or take the intermediate in between, and opted to do that. I learned alot, and feel I will have a better grasp on things when the medic class rolls around. But with so many levels it would be a tough decision. In your situation, time would be a big option. You can't rush learning, but if you had say like a 6 month lull in between you would benifit to get familiar with the material. The EMT-I class is rewarding though.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
I can see in your situation I was pretty much required in order to move on however in most areas that I know of anyway medic class is designed to handle students fresh out of basic so a lot of our I's with some experience spend the first half of class either sleeping or trying to break bad habits.

EMT-B's with experience get a few bad habits as well but with less "skills" there are less things they can do wrong than an I who does 1/2 of the medic skills.