Whats an EMS supervisor?

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
Our old setup.

1 Ops Manager who overseed operations daily,

2 Ops Supervisor, did scheduling, QA and various administrative tasks

4 "platoon leaders" where each platoon had a leader who was your first line of admin. handled day to day operations when the next level was unavailable or unneccassary, assisted with backing up crews as needed and rode a 911 truck.

The Bean Counters decided that this model was too expensive and put up a volunteer board with volunteer office positions, where no one is around when you need them, and getting things accomplished is similar trying to pull teeth on a lion. And were barely treading water.

NBFFD2433

Forum Crew Member
It mostly depends on how the system is set up. In my system, supervisors on the road respond to high acuity calls as an extra set of hands/to assist in scene management. They also spend time doing administrative tasks, making sure all necessary tasks are completed on their shift. They restock narcs and make sure crews Have the functioning equipment and supplies they need to operate. They do a lot of the behind the scene work to allow us to do what we do.

This

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain
Our EMS Captains (Medical Duty Officers) have a number of duties.

• They respond to any arrest or large call (MCI, house fire, trap job). They direct EMS operations on large incidents and in the event a second medic is needed for transport, a firefighter takes their car and the MDO upgrades the ambulance so that a medic doesn't have to get pulled from another transport unit.
  • They are RSI-trained. In our jurisdiction, only the MDOs and MD state troopers can RSI (we don't even carry the drugs on the ambo). They don't often get to do this, of course, since the helo is often at the scene by the time the MDO gets dispatched for RSI.
  • They also carry other equipment that isn't on the ambulance - the Lucas automated CPR device, cold fluids for hypothermic protocols, extra narcs, and a bunch of replacement intubation equipment.
  • They are Infection Control officers, so if there is a provider exposure, the MDO has to be notified and go to the hospital, write a report, follow-up with care, etc.
  • They validate usage logs for narcs, make sure all the Lifepaks are operating correctly, and all other tools have been properly calibrated (glucometers, pulse ox, etc).

We joke about them but Batallion Chiefs have aides and the MDOs are by themselves. They do run around a fair bit. Oh, in the fall they also travel to the stations and give everyone flu shots.

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
Our EMS Captains (Medical Duty Officers) have a number of duties.

• They respond to any arrest or large call (MCI, house fire, trap job). They direct EMS operations on large incidents and in the event a second medic is needed for transport, a firefighter takes their car and the MDO upgrades the ambulance so that a medic doesn't have to get pulled from another transport unit.
  • They are RSI-trained. In our jurisdiction, only the MDOs and MD state troopers can RSI (we don't even carry the drugs on the ambo). They don't often get to do this, of course, since the helo is often at the scene by the time the MDO gets dispatched for RSI.
  • They also carry other equipment that isn't on the ambulance - the Lucas automated CPR device, cold fluids for hypothermic protocols, extra narcs, and a bunch of replacement intubation equipment.
  • They are Infection Control officers, so if there is a provider exposure, the MDO has to be notified and go to the hospital, write a report, follow-up with care, etc.
  • They validate usage logs for narcs, make sure all the Lifepaks are operating correctly, and all other tools have been properly calibrated (glucometers, pulse ox, etc).

We joke about them but Batallion Chiefs have aides and the MDOs are by themselves. They do run around a fair bit. Oh, in the fall they also travel to the stations and give everyone flu shots.

are these guys tactical paramedics? I really hope so I never heard of the MD state troopers being able to intubate.

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain
are these guys tactical paramedics? I really hope so I never heard of the MD state troopers being able to intubate.

Sorry, to clarify, I meant the state troopers who are the medics on the Trooper helos - aeromedical services in maryland are a branch of the state police.

All the paramedics on the 911 HEMS in maryland are sworn state troopers (with guns and badges). We do occasionally get cross-covered by birds from other jurisdictions (the park police's eagle's nest in Anacostia is particularly squirrely), but bulk of RSIs that I've seen are trooper medics.

medictinysc

Forum Crew Member
The question with no answer

I see them driving around in their SUV but what exactly is their purpose?

Grasshopper, it is not for us to wonder what the magical supervisor does. It is our responsibility to answer their phone calls and harassing text message to hurry up and clear to handle another hospital dump:rofl:

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I see them driving around in their SUV but what exactly is their purpose?
is this a serious questions? Would you ask what the purpose of a FD's Battalion or District chief was? or a Patrol Sgt or Lt?

a supervisor supervises their crews, handles admin stuff, and responds to oversee the EMS branch during major events. most big systems have one or two per shift. They enforce the rules of the management, and ensure smooth operations during their shift.

medictinysc

Forum Crew Member
Grasshopper, it is not for us to wonder what the magical supervisor does. It is our responsibility to answer their phone calls and harassing text message to hurry up and clear to handle another hospital dump:rofl:

In all fairness a good EMS supervisor will lead and inspire you to be the best you can be at your job. He/She will let you know unwaveringly where the standards are, where your performance is, and give you the tools to improve. The good supervisor will be the person you can call in the middle of your crap storm and say I NEED HELP and they will help policies be danged. The good EMS supervisor you won't see in the SUV unless of course you look down the road from your chest pain call that sounded like you might need an extra set of hands on it. The good EMS supervisor will not hesitate to remember where they came from and remember how tough it was being a street medic. The awesome ones will fight you to run a call be the first onscene of everything from granny fell downs to daddy won't wake ups That's what a GOOD EMS supervisor is

medictinysc

Forum Crew Member
In all fairness a good EMS supervisor will lead and inspire you to be the best you can be at your job. He/She will let you know unwaveringly where the standards are, where your performance is, and give you the tools to improve. The good supervisor will be the person you can call in the middle of your crap storm and say I NEED HELP and they will help policies be danged. The good EMS supervisor you won't see in the SUV unless of course you look down the road from your chest pain call that sounded like you might need an extra set of hands on it. The good EMS supervisor will not hesitate to remember where they came from and remember how tough it was being a street medic. The awesome ones will fight you to run a call be the first onscene of everything from granny fell downs to daddy won't wake ups That's what a GOOD EMS supervisor is

Dedicated to my Captain Joey Mitchell