What's an Accreditation Worth?

AlaskaEMT

Forum Crew Member
Here's my question: I live in Anchorage and I know of a Paramedic program 6 hours north (Fairbanks) but it's not accredited by CoAEMSP or CAAHEP. According to the director, they're "close" to accreditation.

http://www.tvc.uaf.edu/programs/ems/index.html

Considering the limited amount of information I've given you, would this be a solid move? It's not my only option, simply more convenient than moving to the Lower 48.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Ask them what " close to accreditation" means? It takes about three years minimum to be prepared for on site evaluation and to be formally accredited. They may be just finalizing some paperwork. There are programs that are good that are not accredited, however; if they are accredited that means they have met strenuous regulations. For example, clinical instructors on site, they must have a medical library available to students, clinical simulators and equipment to prepare you. As well their staff must have formal education to teach. I again would be specific and ask how much completion and when they expect an on site evaluation? (many say they are about there, when in reality they are not)

Does this mean anything? Well, one could use the analogy of the difference between Harvard Medical School and other medical schools. Yes, the same books, the same objectives, but there is a difference of what and how they are taught as well is demanded upon the student. Most of these programs are with academic institutions such as colleges or private courses again usually associated with a college.

I have taught at both, an accredited and non-accredited one's. I can assure you the difference as an educator. Many schools have classes but NOT programs. There again, is a difference.

By 2012, NREMT will require those that want to take the Paramedic exam through them must have graduated per a accredited program. This step alone will change our profession forever, requiring an education in lieu of training.

I have just been accepted to be a test writer for NREMT, and will be meeting this summer. The rumor is the test will be more focused upon scientific background, more in-depth questions (i.e regarding pharmacology at a cellular level), detailed assessments and less "field medicine". One will have to truly have an general understanding of science and medicine.

So to answer your question, ask them questions. I would ask to talk to the Coordinator and ask them, before making a drastic decision of moving.

Good luck.

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
AlaskaEMT

AlaskaEMT

Forum Crew Member
Thanks Rid! I'd first like to say that the direction EMS is going, according to your description, sounds great. The importance of an accredited education is more obvious to me now. Thanks.