What Would You Pack

MTEMTB

Forum Crew Member
I get called to chaperone different class trips.
Taking kids down different rivers and ski trips.

What would you pack with you?

Last trip I packed my AED, sams splints, alcohol packages, gauze rolls, 4x4, curlex, mask, asprin, anti diahrria and a couple of other things.
We had a satelite phone with us.

Only trouble we had on the river was one of the kids got sick and threw up.
On a ski trip one of the parents fell and twisted their ankle.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I'd bypass the AED unless it's a special medical kind of group.

You presumably have healthy teenagers/young adults that are relatively athletic. Chance of SCA is low. Add on top of that if you do have to use the AED, what are you going to do when there is ROSC?

Save the weight. Bring stuff like ice packs, electrolyte drinks, triangular bandages, and maybe Benadryl which they should self administer.

OP
OP
M

MTEMTB

Forum Crew Member
The AED is due to the fact we are not alone on the river, there are other groups.
The ones we ran into last year had several elderly people on them.

Thanks for the other items list. Will have to pack them too. It is normally a 3 day 2 night trip.

zmedic

Forum Captain
Is the skiing at a commercial mountain or backcountry? If it's commercial ski patrol has just about everything and will be on scene in about 5 minutes from the call. So for skiing I'd just bring gloves, a few pieces of gauze, and a CPR mask. No point in making a big splint on your own that patrol is going to undo to put the patient in their leg splint. You can carry your own sam splint but patrol has them too.

Man, AED on the river is interesting. You better have a really good dry bag, those things and water tend not to mix well.

reaper

Working Bum
Since you have mostly teenagers. I would skip the Asprin and carry Tylenol. Fever and Asprin in young adults are not a good combination. Plus, if you have a bad injury and want it to help with some pain, Tylenol is a better choice.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I would skip the Asprin and carry Tylenol. Fever and Asprin in young adults are not a good combination.

Why's that?

Plus, if you have a bad injury and want it to help with some pain, Tylenol is a better choice.

Depends on what works for the kid. Tylenol doesn't work nearly as well as Aspirin does for me personally.

reaper

Working Bum
Why's that?

Once you treat the first Rye Syndrome child, you will see it. There is too much risk involved.

Depends on what works for the kid. Tylenol doesn't work nearly as well as Aspirin does for me personally.

If the pt has major bleeding, out in the back country. Do you want to administer asprin?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I was asking more about the "Fever and Asprin in young adults are not a good combination."

I know ASA and bleeding don't mix well ^_^

reaper

Working Bum
I was asking more about the "Fever and Asprin in young adults are not a good combination."

I know ASA and bleeding don't mix well ^_^

Soory, it in your quote, just didn't bold it.

zmedic

Forum Captain
Reyes syndrome, but it's more of an infant thing. Don't think it's really as much of an issue for teenagers. Also aspirin doesn't suppress fever so no real reason to use it anyway.

reaper

Working Bum
Yeah, just caught that spell error.

I have personaly know over a dozen teenagers that contracted Reyes, over the age of 14. From the research, it is a problem up to 16-17yo. There have been cases over 18 years of age. So, it is just not worth the risk to carry ASA for mainly treating children.

Just wanted to suggest the change to Tylenol. Just better all around for a pack.

OP
OP
M

MTEMTB

Forum Crew Member
The ski hill is commercial.
I was on the bus with the diabetic student. They were having trouble with their blood sugar. They had just found out around Christmas.
It is a 2hr. ride one way.

Good to know about the asprin.

I'm looking at getting a Pelican case to pack everything with me on the river.