What was your first day like?

ThatEMTGuy

Forum Crew Member
I'm a first time EMT, and tomorrow is my first day as a trainee. I am honestly freaking out right now, because I fear I will mess up big time and get fired. I have been reading my companies policy and its still hard to understand, and I fear I wont live up to the expectations I'm suppose to be at. So what was your first day like? and do you have any advice or tips for me?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
First day is usually pretty mellow. They know you're flying blind and if you're not scheduled with an FTO, they should put you with a partner that can show you they ropes in a sane, civil manner.

Just relax and roll with it. You'll be fine.

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
Are you doing 911, IFT, or a mix of both?

Just don't drop any patients and you'll be fine. Your partner should make sure you don't do anything too stupid. Ask lots of questions about everything.

Spend free time familiarizing yourself with the layout of the truck, and figuring out how to operate the stretcher without looking like an idiot.

It's okay and expected to make mistakes. Just apologize and don't make the same mistake again.

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
Remember that the dumbest thing to do is to not ask anything as Gurby stated. I would add if there is something that you feel not too confident about go ahead and do it so you can learn (example: suction). When you use the bathroom, use it. Last but not least enjoy your time off, do not over work yourself. Welcome to the board.

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
Correction: whenever you have a chance to use the bathroom, do it.

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
I honestly cannot remember my first day, that was a long time ago. Just be ready to learn, and dont forget to ask questions. be helpful, and ask what you can do to help. dont stress about messing up, we were all in your exact shoes at one point.