What to expect in basic clinicals?

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
Not really meaning to hijack the thread here, but I find myself in a similar position and was looking for some feedback on the subject. I'm starting my EMT-IV clinicals in the next week or so, through Fisdap (I think that's what it's called,) 48 hours on an ambulance, and 16 hours in the ED. While I know that everyone is different, I was wondering what the general consensus is on how I should act for these ride alongs. Do the medics want me to be all hung ho and everything, jumping at every chance to do something? Or would they rather me just stay out of the way and keep my mouth shut? I realize that this is a learning experience, and that I need to observe, as well as do as much as I can, but these are also the people that I hope to be working with in the near future, and I don't want to come off the wrong way, as either too excited for my own good, or not excited enough.

Ask the medics at the beginning of the shift. Tell them what you need to get done and let them know you would love to run calls and help in whatever ways necessary. If they aren't able to clearly articulate how they would like you to act, they have no right to complain about your enthusiasm later on.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
If you get a chance to choose who to follow, choose a doctor first, then a tech. Follow nurses last, unless that's all that's left. Doctors open your eyes and tell you what to look out for, techs have been where you're at and as such try to get you educated, and the typical nurse uses you as free labor. (Are there exceptions? Yup... but alas...)

What will you do? As a basic, not much. Shadowing, taking vitals, cleaning beds, other menial tasks.
Isn't that the truth. If you get the opportunity to shadow an ER doc, take it! Techs are certainly your friends and you'll most likely be assigned to shadow one, but still be nice to the rest of the staff. If you help a nurse change that elderly lady's dressing, he or she is much more apt to come find you when something interesting comes in. When I was doing my IV clinicals I busted my *** for the first couple of hours to show that I was serious and then the nurses would wait for me to come around when their patient needed an IV. If everyone in the ER knows what you are looking to do it can only help you.

Ask the medics at the beginning of the shift. Tell them what you need to get done and let them know you would love to run calls and help in whatever ways necessary. If they aren't able to clearly articulate how they would like you to act, they have no right to complain about your enthusiasm later on.

Exactly. You have to ask at the start of the shift. It's likely that the crew has taken thirds before and already have a plan of how they want you to act as the shift progresses.