What to do?

Chrissy88

Forum Crew Member
.....I'm enjoying my EMT-Basic class so far, the instructor is great and he strongly encourages us to ask questions and is really focused on teaching us, rather then just giving us just enough information to pass the NREMT......

I've been looking at different threads and I see that there's an good deal of pessimism revolving around EMT-Basics/Intermediates even Paramedics..since there are so many people that use it as a 'stepping stone' and don't really care to actually educate themselves and have a strong grasp on the material, that they want to get their certification as quickly as possible, etc, etc...
I will say that I do aspire to become a P.A., but I also want to become a Paramedic and hold a degree in EMS...so I was wondering what would be the best way to go about doing this? I have two more years of Undergraduate school left and I was wondering if it would be the right decision to integrate 1 or 2 classes (From the EMS degree) into my University courseload until I graduate and can focus full time on EMS? For instance I would take 4-5 Classes towards my Biology Major and 1-2 Classes towards EMS ....is this a realistic..or would I just be overwhelming myself? Has anyone had a similar issue?

Last edited by a moderator:

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
If you have the time, and can handle the workload, do it.

You may want to consider courses such as bio (like you said), A&P 1+2, chemistry, ethics, a foreign language (what is present in your area?), physics, psychology, pharmacology, microbiology, statistics, etc.. This will definitely give you the education you want.

the EMS courses would probably be helpful as well.

I applaud you for seeking to get an education. I am in a very similar boat. I am a freshman in college, and I am majoring in pre-health biology so that I can be an educated paramedic. I will be taking as much of the stuff I mentioned to you as possible. I will not, however, as of now be going onto become a PA. I'm just planning on becoming an EMT-P (but I won't stop my education at that point!).

If you have any questions, let us know

Good luck!
Eric

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Absolutely not a bad idea. As long as you can finish your degree in biology anyway, if being a PA is your ultimate goal. If you are allready looking at a degree program for your paramedic, then just use the course they have listed, if not, find one and use those course. You've probably covered a lot allready, but focus on Anatomy & Physiology, pharmacology, medical terminology, psychology, sociology, if you can take any classes in exercise physiology or sports medicine it also wouldn't be a horrible idea.

Far as the actual EMT or paramedic course...take the basic whenever you have time, but I'd hold off on the paramedic class until you've finish everything else and can focus on that.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Chrissy, I don't know what part of Virginia your in but the Paramedic program at NVCC and at Jefferson College in Roanoake are very strong, producing well educated and prepared medics. As a NVCC alum I'm a little biased though.

OP
OP
C

Chrissy88

Forum Crew Member
Chrissy, I don't know what part of Virginia your in but the Paramedic program at NVCC and at Jefferson College in Roanoake are very strong, producing well educated and prepared medics. As a NVCC alum I'm a little biased though.

Awesome, yes I'm in Northern VA.... I'm actually taking the EMT-Basic course at Springfield Medical campus now, you're right, the instructors there are great and eager to teach.