What the: Nursing home sued after 57 bugs are pulled from patients ear

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Ehhh. Bad, but in the grand scheme of nursing home problems, really not that bad.

They can't stop a bug from flying into someone's ear. It doesn't say if she had long hair or not, which would make it harder to spot anything. It also doesn't say if she was supposed to receive her ear drops every day. A staff member noticed she was pulling on her ear, and she promptly recieved medical attention.

Chris07

Competent in Incompetence
Gross...but I wonder if the bugs took care of the ear wax build up. :ph34r:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
That's gross but like Aidey said, I've seen way worse. Way, way worse.

If you spend any amount of time in a setting where you interact with a variety of SNFs and Assisted Living Facilities multiple times a shift you'll see what we mean. Either scheduled IFTs or 911s, it doesn't matter. I've yet to find one I'd be alright with being in myself or placing a family member in.

Last edited by a moderator:

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Agreed, there's way worse.

The only two good SNFs I've seen were (1) part of a CCRC and (2) run by nuns.

Farmer2DO

Forum Captain
I remember seeing this article. It seems that there were several doses, possibly a couple days, where they documented giving her ear drops, but "missed" 5 dozen bugs in her ears. I think one of the families biggest problems was the fraudulent documentation along with the lack of attention, for the money they were paying. I'd be pissed, too.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
If it is the Arlington Heights in Chicago that is to be expected. The north suburbs are a pretty expensive area.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
And people don't think knowing how to use an otoscope is valuable.

Summit

Critical Crazy
i remember seeing this article. It seems that there were several doses, possibly a couple days, where they documented giving her ear drops, but "missed" 5 dozen bugs in her ears. I think one of the families biggest problems was the fraudulent documentation along with the lack of attention, for the money they were paying. I'd be pissed, too.

indeed!