What skills should be solidified before applying to Medic School?

glock22brent

Forum Probie
You do realize that most of biology is really chemistry, a significant portion of chemistry is physics, and physics is...math.

The whole point here is going beyond the minimum. I don't have the basic science courses I should, and have been very handicapped because of it.

math math math! it does help.........the statistics comment stumped me at first but after i thought about it i believe it really could help

if youre going to take physics, i would advise against the cal based version. there were two other types at my university that were MUCH easier but at the same time dealt with real world applications which I guess could be used in EMS.

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
Howdy guys,

I've seen all the schools of thought on the classic "When should I go on to Medic school" question. For me, I subscribe to the belief that I need to solidify my skills and be comfortable with being a guy on an ambulance, treating patients, before I have to take it to the next level. I understand I need a strong foundation.

So here's my question: What is that foundation? What skills, specifically, do you think should be concrete before moving up? What should I become an expert in, and how do I get there? What books should I read, what studies should I look at, articles, etc? I think this would be a good thread to compile a "How-to: Get better at your job" guide. Haha...thanks guys :)

Outside of what other posters have said about certain books to read, id just suggest that you be proficient in the BLS skills you have been taught. Spinal immobliziation, basic airway management, bleeding control, etc.

Im never going to argue against getting ahead and learning more A&P before you move on, but most programs (community colleges) will require that you take a prereq or 2 before moving on. You should be able to learn enough from those courses.

When i took my Basic, i did just fine without any knowledge of pathophysiology. At the BLS level, a very basic understanding of whats going on in the body is needed, info that any decent EMT course should train you in. Of course it would help you if you were well versed in A&P, cardiology, and physics...but its just not necessary (or the norm) for BLS providers.

Most Basic students have a high school level of understanding when it comes to these issues, and students have been getting by for years like that.

If medic school is in your future, i highly recommend some A&P and pathophysiology before you start, but its not required. It will just make that portion of your program much easier when you get to that point.

If you ask me, some A&P as well as an intro to cardiology, plus some reading ahead about ECG strip interpretation will be plenty to succeed. I cant speak for every medic program but ours did a great job preparing us for those topics without making us take prereqs and slowing down the process.

If you are a good student, im confident that you will do just fine without the extra education that many posters in hear swear by. Sure, it will help you greatly, but dont be scared to skip it and learn your programs's curriculum.

Handsome Rob

Forum Crew Member
A&P for sure, biochem, physics, OEGANIC CHEMISTRY...why I screamed that is beyond me. Lol

sent from my mobile command center. or phone. whatever.